To be honest, I’m not a huge fan of leftovers unless it is something that I absolutely LOVE. I think it is because I like to switch things up and eating the same thing I just ate the day before isn’t always appealing to me. (Breakfast is the exception since I always seem to have my “breakfast phases”.) Today for lunch, however, I was totally feeling some of our leftovers from last night: spaghetti squash with homemade marinara sauce.
I did decide to get a little creative with it by sauteeing a big handful of spinach, tomatoes, and mushrooms in a skillet before tossing them into the spaghetti squash/marinara combo. Man oh man, did it hit the spot! And it was a meal FULL of vegetables… You can’t beat that!
I really enjoyed this meal for several reasons. First, I hate food going to waste, so it felt good to help finish up leftovers. Second, I loved that I packed so many veggies in one meal. Third, it cured my craving for what we had for dinner last night while also having some variety to it. Lastly, I proved to myself that I can enjoy leftovers if I just get a little creative by switching it up a bit!
This started me thinking about what other dinners we have that usually result in leftover food and what I could do with them to “spice them up” for a meal the next day. Here are some of my thoughts:
- Grilled/baked salmon: Throw it in a salad, make a salmon salad sandwich (similar to tuna/chicken salad), top with cheese on wheat crackers.
- Tacos: Use crunched up taco shells and taco filling to make a big taco salad and/or taco soup.
- Grilled veggies & chicken: Top a salad with them and/or put them in a soup.
- (Thai) curry with veggies & chicken: Top a salad with it, make a curry sandwich, eat cold as a cracker dip.
- Meatloaf: Makea meatloaf sandwich, crumble it on a salad or put in a soup, make a meatloaf taco.
Those are just a few of our favorite/most common dinners. I realized you could pretty much add any leftover food to a salad to spice it up a bit. My challenge for you (and myself) the next few weeks: Don’t waste your leftovers! Be creative with them to incorporate them into your other meals.
P.S. Don’t forget to enter your name in the free giveaway for Nutty Granola! You still have until Thursday morning!
- Do you like eating leftovers?
- Do you usually “spice up” your leftover food or eat it “as is”?
- What are some other ideas you have to do with common leftover dinner dishes?