Tummy Blues

I am so relieved to wake up this morning to a normal feeling tummy.  All day yesterday I had what I’ll call the “tummy blues”.  My stomach felt upset, nauseous, and bloated pretty much all day.  I’m pretty sure it was the rich pasta I had the night before for our anniversary dinner.  It tasted so yummy, but apparently my stomach didn’t like it as much as my taste buds did.

Needless to say, I felt “blah” and didn’t have much of an appetite for most of the day.  Having little to no appetite is absolutely no fun, in my opinion.  I love food and look forward to my meals every day, so when nothing sounds good to me, it’s quite saddening!

[source]

Since I woke up with an upset stomach, I decided to wait to do my workout until after work.  When I got home, I felt a little better, so I hopped on the treadmill and started movin’ along.  Then it hit me – dizziness, nausea, and a headache.  I decided after about fifteen minutes of my 20 minute treadmill workout that I had enough.  I was going to do a weights workout afterward too, but that sounded the least bit appealing.  Very rarely do I ever just stop in the middle of my workout.  If anything, I’ll usually just take it a little slower or lighter, but not this time.  I was done.  I wasn’t going to risk passing out or throwing up – no.thank.you.

If anything, I was really frustrated by this whole thing.  I took two rest days in a row this weekend, and I really wanted to work out!  Not only that, but I hate when I don’t workout or if I have a bad workout on Monday.  It makes me feel like I started the week on a bad note in terms of my workouts.  The combo of not having an appetite and not getting in a workout because of my “tummy blues” just made me in a bad mood.  What did I do?  Put on my sweats, curled up on the couch, and watched a few too many episodes of “Felicity” on Netflix.

[source]

I realized that sweats and “Felicity” were just what I needed.  Maybe I didn’t have the best “food and fitness” kinda day, but I suppose it happens from time to time and you just gotta roll with it.  That being said, today is a new day, and I’m going to go conquer an awesome workout to make up for yesterday!  Have a great day!

• What is the “final straw” for you to quit a workout/run?
  • Do you ever have bad food and/or fitness days?  If so, what do you do about it?

Comments

So sorry to hear about your tummy blues. That is miserable! I would do exactly what you did – curl up on the couch with a good show or movie and veg. Rich pasta always makes me feel yucky but it tastes so good going down I can’t refuse it.

Exactly – I LOVE rich foods, but my stomach sure doesn’t like them very much… probably because I don’t eat them very often.

oh yeah i have days like that too. the night before you get your workout gear ready and set the alarm and then you wake up and feel just like BLAH. i usually do some relaxing yoga, especially twists to get my stomach and organs moving but try to take it easy. I hate days with no appetite but then its even better once your appetite comes back and you enjoy even more! :)

Booo I am sorry that you were feeling sick, I hope you are better now! But I think it’s really wonderful you listened to your body and didn’t push through. The workout probably would have been rather crappy and might have made you feel worse

always follow the rule – if you’re sick neck up then workout, if it’s below the neck, then don’t! I’m the same way with wanting to get in a good workout, but in the end, it really won’t matter that you missed one workout! I do the same thing though: watch some episodes of my favorite shows! It’s nice to get lost in someone else’s story sometimes!

Sometimes workouts just don’t go the way that we want and it totally sucks. I’ve rarely stopped in the middle before either, but I alwyas do when I get lightheaded. There have been a few times where I had to sit down to let it pass. Scary! You did the right thing and there’s always the next day for getting in a good workout.

Sorry your tummy has been feeling yucky! It’s always hard to have a good workout if you’re not feeling 100%. And sometimes you’re just not feeling it, you know? Nothing wrong with taking a day off to get in some couch time and watch your favorite show! :)

I was actually reminded the other day to also use a heating pad on my stomach. One of those simple things that I have long since forgotten. It can be hard for me sometimes to curl up and just be but in the long run I usually do better if I give my body what it needs and is asking for.

PS. I also get cranky when my stomach does not agree with my eating choices. :)