A Heavenly Combo

As you may know, my husband and I are pretty “strict” with our weekly grocery budget.  My husband is one of the least pickiest eaters ever, and he never cares about the “extras”.  He’s content with his bread for toast in the morning, a couple sandwiches, a piece of fruit, and a yogurt for lunch, and whatever I make for dinner.  Me on the other hand…  I like the yummy “extras” that we don’t always necessarily need.  Good thing I don’t like spending money otherwise I would be buying the “extras” left and right!  I’ve made a rule for myself that I’m allowed to buy one “extra” grocery item each week, unless I know for whatever reason that the grocery bill will be larger than the average week, then I won’t buy any extras.

Welllll this week I kinda sorta broke my rule…  This doesn’t happen very often AND it was absolutely totally worth it, so I just told myself I won’t buy any extras next week.  It’s all about balance, right?  ;)

This is how it happened…

I bought some Thomas Pumpkin Spice Bagels as my initial “extra” item.  I had been eyeing them at the grocery store every week and finally decided to give them a try.  They are “limited edition” so I obviously needed to get my hands on them pronto!  I was so excited to try them out when I got home from the store on Monday that I had half of one for an afternoon snack.  I must say, they are quite delicious.

There was one issue I had with them though.  I couldn’t really determine what kind of spread I wanted on top of my bagel.  Usually I know right away what I want on top of toast or bagels depending on their flavor, but I just couldn’t get a taste for what I wanted on these guys.  The first time I tried one, I mixed a little bit of natural crunchy peanut butter with pumpkin and spread that on top.  It was pretty good, but I felt like a spread that was a little sweeter would taste even better.  I immediately thought of Peanut Butter & Co.’s White Chocolate Wonderful Peanut Butter.  I’ve never bought it before due to its more expensive price tag, but I’ve only ever heard good things about it.  Thinking about it atop a pumpkin spice bagel made my mouth water.

Yesterday I realized I forgot eggs at the grocery store the day before.  I needed them for dinner so I made a quick pit stop at the grocery store on my way home from work.  I left the store with some eggs and of course, the White Chocolate Wonderful Peanut Butter that I couldn’t stop thinking about.  This stuff is like gold to me for a couple reasons: 1) It isn’t cheap!  2)  It tastes heavenly.  I don’t plan on buying it on a regular basis because I could easily finish a jar within a week, and the price tag is a hefty one for a small jar of peanut butter.  I am already looking forward to some OIAJ (Oats In A Jar) in this little jar of heaven!

Needless to say, my breakfast this morning included a pumpkin spice bagel with 1 tablespoon of White Chocolate Wonderful + 1 tablespoon of pumpkin mixed together and spread on top.  Let me tell you, it was a heavenly combo!

I would definitely advise you to try this. ;)

• Have you tried pumpkin spice bagels?  If so, what’d you top your’s with?
  • Are you a fan of Peanut Butter & Co. nut butters?  If so, which one is your favorite?
  • What food(s) are you willing to pay extra for?

Comments

I haven’t tried either of you “extras” but they sound good! My extras usually come from Whole foods (since it’s crazy expensive) and are things like Chia Seeds or berries. However, I recently found out I may be intolerant to gluten and soy, so my budget is basically out the window. I’ve had to throw away so much stuff and replace it that ti’s become really expensive! I’m also trying different brands, but also doing my best to make my own stuff! My big “extra” this week was ordering Sun Warrior protein powder… it’s the only one I could find that was soy and gluten free! Haha for that price tag, it better be good.

I really should start implementing your “one extra a week” rule. I get so carried away at the store that I can’t help but to grab all sorts of odds and ends! It’s a bad habit, especially when you’re a cheap college student on a tight budget haha.

Have you tried the PB & Co. dark chocolate dreams?

I haven’t tried the Dark Chocolate Dreams, but that’s next on my “extra” list after I finish off the White Chocolate Wonderful! ;)

I’ve tried a few kinds of PB & Co., there’s a Job Lot near me that often has them for half price! The dark chocolate and white chocolate wonderful are my favorites. I got my sister hooked on them too :)
    I pay a little extra to get my eggs from a nearby farm. They are a little bit more, but a ton cheaper than organic and I like knowing they came from happy, vegetarian fed chickens.

I like your one “extra” a week rule. I am so bad about buying “extras” left and right and money wise, they really do start to add up! Which is why I try and limit my trips to Trader Joe’s as much as possible, that store is a danger zone of “extras”! ;)

I’ve tried those bagels (they were deemed an “extra” ;)) and I really like them and I too had wondered what to spread on them so I just used butter. However your way sounds delish. I’ve tried the WCW and it’s amazing…I can only imagine how good it’d be on that bagel! :)

I always wish we had a TJ’s out here in Utah, but I think maybe it’s a good thing for me… I could easily go crazy at that store! I love it so much.

<3 White Chocolate Wonderful- it's my favorite peanut butter ever. And those pumpkin bagels are really good too. I haven't tried them together yet, I've just been eating the bagels with cream cheese. How could I have never thought of this?!

I haven’t seen them much in the grocery stores either. In fact, I’ve only seen them at the WalMart (of all places!) by our house!

I abide by that same rule-the “one extra thing” a week! I often find myself though going over…. :)
    They should make these in the bagel thins! Usually white chocolate is too sweet for me-but I love anything with peanut butter! :D

Billy is the same way. He could live off of saltines, bread and cereal for the rest of his life and be happy…no extras in this family (this is why we eat at my parents so often). I have ALWAYS WANTED to try the White Chocolate PB! Hope you guys have an amazing weekend together!

8. Traci says

Stumbled across your blog, excited to read more! I just picked up a jar of the Mighty Maple and it is one of my new favorites already…along with the Cinnamon Raisin Swirl. :)

I recently tried the White Chocolate Wonderful and I feel the same way about it. I have dreamt about it, to the point that I think I may have actually sleep-ate a couple of spoonfuls. All I know is I woke up with a peanut butter spoon on the pillow and a smile on my face!