Debatable Halloween Topics

As some of you may know, I lead a Wednesday evening Bible study/hang out group of 5th and 6th graders at our church.  Yes, they are a lot of work.  Yes, my voice is shot by the end of the night.  Yes, I remember why I am not a full time teacher.  BUT!  Yes, I absolutely love my time with them.  Yes, they are great kids.  Yes, we have some awesome conversations.

One of the awesome conversations we had last night as we were snacking on some amazing Halloween Funfetti cupcakes  (I was SO excited when I saw these!), was about Halloween candy and trick-or-treating.

Side note:  I didn’t capture a photo of the finished product because let’s be honest, they were nothing special looking.  I need to learn some tips from Courtney on how to frost cupcakes!

We agreed as a group that the top three best Halloween candies are (in no particular order):

-Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups

[source]

-Kit Kat Bars

[source]

-Almond Joy

[source]

I would absolutely agree with the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups being up there.  They are by far my favorite candy (bar) EVER.  Peanut butter + chocolate = winning combo.  I’m okay with Kit Kat Bars and Almond Joys, but I wouldn’t say they are my top favorites.  Others I heard last night were Milk Duds (forgot about those!), Tootsie Rolls, and plain ol’ Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bars.  I was somewhat surprised I didn’t hear much about Snickers.  Snickers, Butterfinger, and of course candy corn are a few of my other favorites.  Reese’s still takes first though.  ;)

We went on to discuss other debatable issues when it comes to trick-or-treating.  One thing we discussed was do you use a pillow case for your “candy bucket” or a traditional pumpkin basket?  I remember all the older kids always had the pillow cases, and I thought they only had them because they wanted to get as much candy as possible.  It always made me slightly jealous because my parents wouldn’t let me carry around a pillow case.  My 5th & 6th grade group informed me last night that using pillow cases is “the only way to go”.  Good to know.

Another topic that was discussed was how old is too old to go trick-or-treating?  I said after junior high is a little old, in my opinion.  They started debating me immediately when I said that.    Most of the kids (as well as my husband) said they think trick-or-treating is totally okay for high schoolers.  Well okay then, apparently I’m a little old school. ;)

Here’s a link you might find interesting about the “healthiest” Halloween candy – check it out here!

What do you think?

• What are your top three favorite Halloween candies?
  •  Pillowcases or pumpkin buckets for trick-or-treating?
  • How old is “too old” for trick-or-treating?

Comments

1. Kirsten Filuk says

Awww ashley you should have posted some pictures of some of our most epic halloween costumes!! Man our parent’s used to get into dressing us up- wonder if they ever realized that all we really wanted was the candy! :)

2. Helen says

My favorites are Heath Bars, Snickers, and Almond Joy….or the Milky Way Dark Chocolate if I can find them.
    Personally, I, too, think no older than Jr. High. I do not like answering the door to full grown ‘people” dressed in , usually, very scary or gross costumes…and their faces covered.
    .I do not care for the pillow case bags. Use a little less greedy container!

3. Christelle says

I’m not a huge fan of chocolate, but every few months when I crave a candy bar, I go for either Reese’s or Kit Kats! And I grew up in a teeny tiny town where everyone knew everyone, so everybody trick-or-treated up until we graduated high school….it was like a tradition I guess, and everybody, even the kids had pillow cases, nobody ever carried buckets!

I too think Junior High is the cut off point…I remember 8th grade being my last year doing it and I remember some kids from the “cool” crowd thought we were lame for doing it…hey, I wanted my candy! ;) And I am super excited for when have children and Halloween will take on a whole other meaning when seeing it through their eyes :)

Can you believe I don’t like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups?! I do however love Kit Kat’s, they’ve always been my ultimate favorite candy bar. Other’s are Snicker’s and M&M’s :)

I can’t wait til we have kids too – they’ll be SO cute in their little costumes! I love seeing all the little kids. Ahh girl you don’t like Reese’s PB Cups?! You crazy!!! Haha you’re still great though. ;)

I think high school is too old for trick or treating! Yeah, that may be old school, but at that age shouldn’t they be doing something more fun like having a party?
    My favorite Halloween candies are definitely Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. After that, I always loved Mr. Goodbars, Krackles, and Baby Ruths.

haha-0those kids sound cute!!

I don’t love any candy really —I am a SWISS girl at heart, so most American candy tastes like death, but I do like Twix and Snickers (<—-Almond are the best!) once in awhile. Starbursts are fun too. And skittles.

We have a German friend that brings back amazing chocolate from Germany when she visits. I agree, American chocolate just doesn’t compare! I still love my Reese’s though! ;)