Those of you that are familiar with B.J.’s Restaurant & Brewhouse have most likely heard of their famous pizookie – a deep dish cookie that is cooked just long enough to make it not dough anymore, but is still incredibly gooey and soft in the center. Oregano’s is an Arizona native restaurant that also has a similar dessert. Chocolate chip pizookies are one of Cody’s and my all-time favorite desserts, but unfortunately we don’t have B.J.’s or Oregano’s out here in Utah.
So what do we do to solve this problem? Make our own! His and hers pizookies…
Cody requested that I bake him a pizookie last night, which I happily agreed to do since I love baking. I initially planned to just sneak a bite or two of his, but then my mind quickly changed. As I was baking his, I decided I needed one of my own – but withOUT all of the additional calories and fat. My creation resulted in a “Healthy(er) Chocolate Chip Pizookie” which quickly satisfied my pizookie craving. (Mine in the photo below is topped with some PB2!)
Healthy(er) Chocolate Chip Pizookie
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1/2 tablespoon light margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon stevia
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350* F and spray a small baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Stir together first five ingredients until creamed together.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Form a large cookie on the baking pan.
- Bake for about 5 minutes or until dough looks barely set.
- Let cool, add your favorite toppings if you wish, and enjoy!
If you’re interested in making the original pizookie I made Cody, I used this recipe for the dough. I halved the original recipe, and then saved the extra dough to use for regular cookies. STUFT Mama has a “pizoatie” recipe that is another version of this fun and delicious dessert. Whether you have the original pizookie, healthy(er) pizookie, or STUFT Mama’s pizoatie, I guarantee you can’t go wrong with this treat! YUM!
- Have you ever had a pizookie before?
- What is your all-time favorite dessert?