It’s A Done Deal!

Well guys, it’s a done deal… I officially signed up for my first half marathon yesterday!  My plan and goal has been to run the American Fork Canyon Half Marathon this year, but I hadn’t actually registered and paid for it until yesterday.  There’s no backin’ out now my friends!  It’s FOR SURE!

373390_110671939014853_284234466_n[1]

Eeeek!  I’m really excited and also really nervous.  I’m sure it’ll be an awesome experience though, especially because I get to do it with one of my really good friends.  Another reason this race is specifically so awesome is because its cause is to fight the support against cancer.  As I mentioned a couple weeks ago, my stepmom was recently diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time, so this cause is really close to my heart.

Our plan is to start training in March, so I’m on the lookout for some quality beginner training plans in the next few weeks.  It sounds like Hal Higdon’s plans are pretty legit, so I’ll be taking a look at those.  To all of you experienced runners and half marathoners out there, any advice you have for me and my friend would be really appreciated!

• What was your first race?  How did it go?
  • If you’ve never ran in a race before, do you want to someday?

Comments

1. Emilie says

Congratulations! I am sure you will do great and you and your friend can motivate each other!

I would like to just be able to run regularly my first goal is to get up the distance and steady pace, so I am a long way from marathon running.

Congrats! I ran my first half last June, in Virginia! The race went well, but was hard, because I hadn’t trained hills enough and it was a VERY hilly course. I would def. try and incorporate hills at least one day a week into your training plan :)

fortunately the race we’re doing is a very gradual downhill slope so i don’t have to worry about any uphills this time around. ;)

Congrats on signing up Ashley!! My first race was a 1/2 marathon, back in 2010, and honestly it was the best experience ever. I didnt go in with any expectations; just wanted to finish. I ended up finishing (and surprising myself) in 2 hours flat. Now i am hooked and am trying to get faster, my goal for 2012 is to run a 1/2 marathon in 1:50 or less! keep us updated on your runs :)

that’s my goal too – just to finish! congrats on your race and good luck with your new goal – you’ll do GREAT! :)

Congratulations on signing up for your first half. I have done two in the past year and I am addicted. I wanted share some training info that I think might help. My brother is my coach that is awesome and makes me a personalized monthly schedule for me. I have PR’D in the 5k and 10k since starting and he is always available daily by phone or email. You should check it out. http://www.azparentsontherun.com . I am really excited for you to run the half. Are you raising money for cancer research? Good luck!

My first bigger race was CRAZY. Leftover storms from hurricane Ike hit St. Louis that day, and I ran the entire race in the strongest rain I’ve ever witnessed. They ended up shortening both the half the the full to 10 miles because of flooding. It was miserable at first, but turned into one of the best experiences of my life!

holy moly, that does sound crazy!! good for you to push through! i’m sure it’s so neat to look back on that memory.

thank you anne!! you can do it! i never ever thought i’d be running more than 3 miles. just gotta start out slow and work your way up!

How awesome! Good for you!!!
    My cousin is a big time marathon runner, she did this one last year and really loved it!
    Can’t wait to hear all about the training! Good luck to you!!!

Ahhhhhh!!!! That’s so exciting!!! Congrats!!! Haha and I know the feeling, exciting and scary! My mom e-mailed me saying she booked a hotel here in Chicago for the weekend of the marathon and it totally freaked me out because it means it’s really happening! I’d definitely take a look at Hal Higdon’s plans. I think they are best for your first race, I used it for my 10K back in September. I’m using runners world right now for my half, which is also good because it bases the times it suggests off your runs on what you’ve run in a recent race and it asks how many miles a week you currently run, so it’s much more tailored to you.

ahhhh that would’ve been awesome! but no kidding, traveling isn’t cheap!! you’d be way faster than me though girl… haha!

eeek! i’m so excited for you!! i took a look at hal higdon’s beginner plans, and i think i’ll use one of those. i like the looks of it a lot, and i’ve heard a lot of great recommendations for it.

thanks madeline! i looked at hal higdon’s beginner plan, and i think i’m going to use that one. good luck to you with your next half too! :)

I swear by Galloway’s training plans – but they include walk-breaks, which some people don’t like to include! I don’t think I’d ever have been able to run 22 miles without them, and my best half-time was sub-two hours, which I am happy with. Speed is not my goal!