Trainer Tuesday: Cardio Machine Mish Mash

Good morning!  I hope those of you who were able to enjoy the three day weekend had a great one.  To help you get back into the swing of things, I have a fun new workout for you to plug into your workout schedule for the week!

**For those of you that are new to my “Trainer Tuesday” posts, they essentially are a way for me to share my personal trainer knowledge with you and provide you with a new and fun workout to try out!**

I don’t know about you, but I get incredibly bored when I try to stay on a cardio machine for more than 15-20 minutes at a time.  In an effort to fight boredom, give your body (and mind!) some variety, and have some extra fun, I came up with this “Cardio Machine Mish Mash” workout that I’m sure you will love!  Let’s get to it!

As always, please consult your doctor/physician before starting a new workout regimen.

Cardio Machine Mish Mash

The general format of the workout will look like this:

Warm Up Stationary Bike 0-5 minutes
HIIT Treadmill 5-25 minutes
Recover Elliptical 25-45 minutes
Moderate Intensity Stair Climber 45-55 minutes
Cool Down Stationary Bike 55-60 minutes

Here are the details of each segment:

Warm Up/Cool Down – Ride the stationary bike at a rate that will increase your heart rate and get your body warm

HIIT – Run on the treadmill according to the time and speeds below.  Decrease or increase .5 or 1.0 to the speeds according to your fitness level if needed.

Time (minutes): Speed (mph):
14:45 – 15:45 5.0
15:45 – 16:15 9.0
16:15 – 17:15 5.0
17:15 – 17:45 9.0
17:45 – 18:45 5.0
18:45 – 20:00 4.0

Recovery – Do the elliptical at a mid level (~6-10) doing 5 minutes forward and 5 minutes backwards, repeating this until you get to 20 minutes.

Moderate Intensity – Do the stair climber at a Level 9-11 (out of 20 levels) according to the table below.

Time (minutes): Direction:
0:00 – 5:00 forward
5:00 – 6:00 facing right
6:00 – 7:00 forward
7:00 – 8:00 facing left
8:00 – 10:00 forward

As always, please let me know if you have any questions!  Feel free to alter it a bit to fit your personal needs.  Trust me – those 60 minutes will FLY BY!  You’ll be a sweaty hot mess before you know it. Winking smile  Have fun!

• Do you get bored on cardio machines easily?
  • What is your favorite cardio machine?
  • How do you beat cardio boredom?

Comments

yay!! i’m glad you loved it! it is definitely nice to have some variety with cardio equipment in a gym setting. that is one thing i missed a lot when i didn’t have a gym membership.

Yes! I can totally relate. My treadmill at home currently faces the wall – I put up an inspirational calendar, but staring at it sometimes makes me want to rip it down after 4 miles ;) hahhaa my husband is supposed to be building me a shelf for my macbook so I can watch movies. I find I prefer the spin bike b/c I can watch tv – tv = goot time passing :)

haha yeah my treadmill is facing a wall in our basement… it’s totally boring! fortunately my laptop fits perfectly on my treadmill so i can watch netflix – it seriously helps so much!

i have bittersweet feelings toward the stair climber… it’s such a great workout but it kicks my booty every time!

I actually love cardio machines! I just let myself zone out, or think about my day, or even study. It’s one of my favorite ways to spend time at the gym! This workout looks awesome!

3. Jennifer K says

This looks like a great workout and I have to admit, I get really bored on machines, so I like variety. What do you recommend when running is not really an option for me right now? (Hip/back problems). And no stair climber either. But the gym does have rowing machines and spin bikes, which I do like to use. Should I sub the rowing for the treadmill HIIT or structure the workout in some other way.

are you able to do incline walking? or even just speed walking? both of which are GREAT alternatives to running, they are much easier and lower impact on your joints, and they still will get your heart rate up. if you can’t do walking, the rowing machine is another great cardio option.

I love HIIT for making the time fly by! I also ALWAYS have to cover up the time! If I don’t, I’m constantly staring at it. Let me tell ya, no way to make a workout feel longer than that!

I don’t get bored, but mainly because I don’t have a gym membership. :) But, I do get bored with my DVD workouts. I have recently gone back to my Jillian set…:) She is always killer. When I get bored, I just simply look at my workouts to see where I need change and then incorporate that into my workouts.
    Have a great day!

Wow, 60 minutes of cardio is a lot for me right now! I’m really big into lifting weights more than cardio as Im actually tring to gain weight right now…crazy I know right? I will try and incorporate some sort of cardio based training 1-2 times a week right now to keep my metabolism up and keep my body guessing. HITT is a great way to lose fat!