Eating Healthy While Traveling

In the last couple days of traveling and being in San Antonio, I have never been more thankful for my LARABARS, Clif Bars, apples, and nut butter that I packed from home.  There’s been more than one occasion that they nearly saved me from biting someone’s head off or eating my own arm.

I am one of those people that has to eat every 3-4 hours otherwise I turn into a big old crab.  I would much rather prefer to eat smaller meals and snacks more often throughout the day.  It just works for me and my body.  I like not feeling overly stuffed after a meal, and I like eating more often because, well, I just love to eat.

Traveling and being on vacation makes it a little more challenging to have an endless amount of healthy snacks available though.  I suppose I could find some sort of healthy snacks around, but they are most likely three times the price they would be in my grocery store.  I don’t know about you, but I hate getting ripped off and knowing that I could get something much cheaper somewhere else.  This is why planning ahead is absolutely crucial when traveling.

I like to pack snacks that are all-natural, healthy, and will leave me feeling satisfied for longer than a half hour.  As much as I wish they did, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and Jolly Ranchers don’t leave me satisfied for long.  Winking smile  Some of my favorite on-the-road (or plane) snacks are:

• Apples
  • Oranges
  • Bananas
  • Trail Mix
  • LARABARS/Clif Bars/LUNA Bars
  • Granola
  • Raw nuts
  • Oatmeal packets (for in the hotel)
  • Granola bars

These are all foods that don’t need to be refrigerated, don’t take much (if any) prep work, and they are easy to throw in your bag or purse.  All it takes is a little planning ahead, and you’ve got yourself covered!

P.S.  I’ve loved hearing about all of your favorite coffee drinks!  Keep ‘em coming! Smile

• How often do you eat a meal or snack?
  • What are some of your favorite on-the-road snacks?
  • How do you eat healthy while traveling?

Comments

Ohhh yes, Larabars are my absolute favorite travel snack. When I was away this past weekend, I also brought a huge bag of trail mix filled with almonds, cashews, dried cranberries and blueberries, and even little pieces of white chocolate…it was perfect to snack on when I had those “must eat NOW” moments! Have a great trip!

2. Katie @ Raisins&Apples says

I usually eat every 2-3 hours. My preschoolers eat about every 2 hours so I usually eat small meals and then snack with them frequently. I usually do bring snacks with me when I travel, but it can be difficult! There’s a fine line for me personally when it comes to being prepared vs. controlling!

I am the same way…you definitely don’t want to be around a hungry Julia! haha. I also love packing apples, nuts and granola bars. I also like bananas, too, but those can make things a bit smelly if you don’t eat it right away.

I just have to say– you look so cute in these pictures, Ashley!

I’m learning so much about my own eating patterns lately, and have noticed that some days I love snacking on tiny meals, but others I’d rather sit down to 3 biggies. I guess my strategy is that I don’t have one? :D

I’m definitely a snacker, and feel my best when I eat six small meals (sometimes more!). In case of *emergency*, I always have a Luna bar and/or nuts, carrots (and a few Hershey’s Kisses!) stashed away in my purse. My friends call me the human vending machine because I’m constantly pulling things out of my bag. :-)

Love your travel snack picks! I’m actually flying home to Boise tomorrow, so I have lots of food packed (it’s a long two-flight trip with a long layover!). In addition to snacks, I’m also packing my dinner. Airport food is so expensive, and it’s often hard to find healthy options, so tupperware it is! :-D

Enjoy the rest of your time in San Antonio! xoxo

I am the exact same way! I don’t like only 3 big meals a day, I do much better with smaller meals every few hours. I am not happy to be around either if it’s been to long between meals haha

Hi Ashley- great blog! When I travel, I also will bring lots of snacks with me. I hate being somewhere and not having any healthy food options. In addition to Lara Bars and trail mix that you mentioned, I also like to pack hard boiled eggs and string cheese. In the summertime, I will simply carry a mini-cooler around with me to keep the items cold.

I’m exactly the same! I have to eat every few hours. I love your pick of snacks. My favourites to take with me on trips are apples and nuts.