Smoothie Season!

Happy Friday!  First of all, I want thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of your sweet comments, tweets, and emails from yesterday.  Some of you brought tears to my eyes because of the sincerity and kindness that you poured out to me.  Thank you!

Today I wanted to talk about something a little more on the “lighter side” (relatively and figuratively!) – SMOOTHIES!  I officially declare it smoothie season with all of this warmer weather and summer on the horizon.  Smoothies are one of my all time favorite things to eat slurp down.  They can be yummy, nutritious, and refreshing all in one!  They can also be tasteless, unhealthy, and full of sugar if you’re not careful.

smoothie

So let’s talk about how to make a smoothie that is more on the delicious and healthier side, because what’s not to love about delicious and nutritious?  Smoothies have endless possibilities of ingredients, so there’s no one set way to make a quality smoothie.  There are some ingredients that I often use as the “base” of my smoothies to make them better tasting and better for you though.

My favorite base ingredients of any smoothie:

• Lowfat/nonfat milk

You can use cow’s, almond, soy, etc.  I try to stay away from juice because it often has a high sugar content.  Most milk packs in extra calcium and protein.

• Ice

Some people like to use frozen fruit instead of ice, which is totally fine too!

• A source of protein

Protein helps satiate you and causes you to not feel hungry again after a half hour.  My favorite forms of protein to add to smoothies are protein powder or greek yogurt.

• A ripe banana

I almost always add at least half of a ripe banana to my smoothies.  The banana is a natural sweetener and also helps make the smoothie nice and creamy!

After those four base ingredients, the possibilities are endless!!  I love to add various fruit, nut butter, cocoa powder, etc.  In a lot of the smoothies I make, I also will add a handful of fresh spinach to pack in some extra nutrients.  I guarantee you won’t taste it, especially if you include that ripe banana in there.  And just think, you’re getting an extra serving of veggies that you can’t even taste!  I love when that happens. Smile

I also have a new smoothie recipe to share that I came up with the other day.  It’s definitely a new favorite of mine!  I was craving some frozen yogurt like crazy, and this totally did the trick at satisfying my craving.

Peanut Butter Banana Vanilla Smoothie

(Makes 1 serving)

Ingredients:

• 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1/2 – 1 ripe banana
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 2 tablespoons all natural peanut butter
  • Ice cubes

Directions:

• Put all ingredients into your blender.
  • Blend until all ingredients are blended well.
  • Pour into your favorite glass and enjoy!

You can also find some of my other favorite smoothie recipes under my Food tab!  Get to blending my friends! Winking smile

• How often do you make smoothies?
  • What are your favorite base ingredients for a smoothie?
  • Link up some of your favorite smoothie “recipes”!

Comments

You’re right – smoothies can be a great alternative to frozen yogurt! One of my best friends and I have smoothie nights whenever we’re together and we almost always just use ice, vanilla yogurt, and strawberries. We like to keep it simple :-)

2. Tracie says

Smoothies are delicious! I love all of the fun summer fresh fruits that you can put in – Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and I always love banana :) I like my smoothies thick and creamy so Unsweetened almond milk works great for me (I usually use 4 oz and then 4 oz of water). These smoothies make me feel so refreshed and revitalized with lots of energy :)

yum! anything with peanut butter is top notch in my book. ;) i still haven’t tried dark chocolate almond milk… sounds great!

I love smoothies. They’re great when I’m running late and need something quick and healthy. Also perfect after a run and you need to refuel. I definitely need to introduce them back into my breakfast rotation.

ahhhh laura! what am i going to do with you?! ;) just kidding. i have a hard time drinking my calories too… i usually only ever drink water, coffee, or tea, but a smoothie always satisfies me so well if i add in the right ingredients.

for smoothies in general, it really depends on how much peanut butter you add to it and how many other ingredients you’re adding to it. if you’re talking about the peanut butter banana vanilla smoothie in this post, then it has a pretty good peanut butter taste, but it’s not crazy.

Love this post darling :)

I am sorry I haven’t commented lately :( Really busy with classes, studying. etc. etc. But, I am back and I am devoted to your blog because I love the way you right AND how you make me feel when I read your posts <3

I am sending you hugs for all that you have been going through lately <3 prayers for you and lots and lotssss of hugs, ok? xo

I love smoothies and like you I have been craving them so much lately with this almost summer-like weather that we have been having!

I was scared of adding spinach to smoothies before, but now I feel deprived if my smoothie doesn't have spinach! Hahahaha

My must have for a smoothie is a very ripe banana. Without that I feel like I have to add sugar to make it sweet enough and I don’t like doing that. I make smoothies probably 3 times a week. Although my 3 year old requests them almost daily. Now that its warmer out I think I will start making them more!

secret: i usually just rinse my blender out and make another smoothie. it usually gets washed for real like once a week. ;)

I love smoothies too and need to remember to make them more often! I had one this morning and it was the perfect on-the-go breakfast! Today’s combo was a mix of plain yogurt, milk, frozen banana & strawberries, vanilla and Sunwarrior–> perfection!