WIAW #28: Work Day Eats

I hope you all are having a wonderful week so far!  It’s Wednesday (already?!) which means it’s time for another What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW) post.  The fabulous founder of WIAW, Jenn, has been assigning us “themes” the last couple months to go along with our eats.  They’ve mostly involved getting in extra veggies and/or produce, and this month is no different!  I’m all about more produce in our lives, so of course I want to promote her new challenge.  Click on on over if you want to read more about WIAW or this month’s WIAW challenge.

Peas and Crayons

Today’s WIAW post is a little different than usual.  I typically will post my eats from Tuesday, but this week I’m posting my eats from Monday.  Mondays and Tuesdays are very different days for me.  Monday is usually a lot busier because I have work and meetings, whereas Tuesday is my day off where I am at home cleaning and doing laundry.  Needless to say, I’m able to put more time into preparing and cooking my meals on Tuesdays, whereas Mondays take some extra prepping ahead of time and usually consist of easier on-the-go options.  Let’s take a look!

breakfast – 6:45 AM

I prepared a bowl of overnight oats on Sunday to stick in the fridge overnight.  In my bowl went 1/3 cup oats, 1/3 cup 1% milk, 1/3 cup greek yogurt, and 1/2 tablespoon chia seed.  On Monday morning I added some sliced strawberries and a big ol’ blob of almond butter.  Deeee-licious!

mid morning snack – 9:30 AM

I had three of Krista’s Chocolate Chip No Bake Cookie Dough Balls.  I made these over the weekend to have for lunches and on-the-go snacks throughout the week.

mid morning TREAT – 11:00 AM

Our secretary was sweet enough to slip a Reese’s Egg in my work mailbox since she knows how much I love them.  I couldn’t wait until after lunch to eat it! Smile

lunch – 12:30 PM

I prepped a big green salad full of spinach, romaine, broccoli, and cucumber topped with a full can of tuna, half of an avocado, and some baby carrots.  Balsamic vinaigrette was my dressing of choice.

A juicy grapefruit accompanied my salad.

mid afternoon snack #1 – 2:45 PM

I had plain greek yogurt with some stevia and blackberries stirred in and topped it with a blob of almond butter.

mid afternoon snack #2 – 4:00 PM

I got home from work and was surprisingly hungry even after my earlier snack.  I had half of a banana with more almond butter.  I’ve been eating almond butter with everything and anything I can think of. Smile  I just bought the jar on Sunday from Costco, and I have a feeling I’ll easily polish it off within the next week.

dinner – 6:30 PM

Monday was a little bit of a rough day, so Cody insisted I sip on a glass of wine while prepping dinner.  I gladly accepted.  Smile

I made Julie’s Savory Salmon Oatmeal Hash and really liked it!  I didn’t know how I’d feel about it, but I was pleasantly surprised.  It’s super easy too!  I think I prepped and cooked it all within fifteen minutes.  Score!

I served us some mixed veggies from the freezer on the side because they needed to be used up.

evening snack – 9:00 PM

I made a STUFT Protein Cookie and topped it with Trader Joe’s Cocoa Almond Spread instead of peanut butter + chocolate, which the original recipe calls for.  It was definitely a winner snack/dessert!

I also had a couple spoonfuls of this…

I’m tellin’ ya, the almond butter isn’t going to last long.  But just to set things straight, peanut butter is still my number one.  Winking smile

It certainly was a great day of eats filled with delicious bites, nutritious foods, and healthy fats of course!  This is proof that you can still eat healthy and delicious meals when you’re a busy bee.  Giving yourself enough time and prepping ahead of time is key!

Have a good one!

• Do your meals and snacks look different on days you work in comparison to days you have off?
  • What is your favorite kind of nut butter?

Comments

Oh man, everything looks so tasty! I seriously need to try overnight oats. I really don’t know why I haven’t yet! I don’t usually need to do any prepping before my days since I tend to have breaks where I can come home. But I know that when I start working I will totally have to!

Your eats look delicious- am especially loving the cookie for dessert! Your breakfast combo is my current favorite- the only thing which I also add is some cinnamon and flaked almonds! On days where I am not working, I have more time to put thought into my meals, and I also prefer to eat smaller meals throughout the day- something about being at home makes me snacky!

ooo i love your addition of cinnamon and flaked almonds to the overnight oats! i’m sure i’d LOVE that!

What a delicious and healthy day of eats! On my days off, my meals look a lot different. Typically during the work week I will have 3 meals and 1-2 snacks per day, and on the weekend I have 2 large meals and a snack or two. I absolutely love brunch and look forward to it every Saturday and Sunday!

I just picked up a jar of the Trader Joe’s cocoa almond spread and I think I like it more than nutella! And that is saying alot :)
    My snacks and meals always vary depending on the amount of time I have to prepare them. If I know I am going to be extra busy I will try and make things in advance so I can just grab them and go.

5. LG says

Hey girl,

Further to a comment I left yesterday…I checked my journal and it actually took me 8 MONTHS to get my cycle back. Good grief! That’s a long time. I’d be happy to share the story with you if you like, but thought I’d let you know that it can take a while…

LG

I know, Wednesday already, right???

Yes, AB is SO addicting! I go through it like a crazy person, too! :) And is that protein cookie not the most delicious thing EVER? <3

Your eats look so delicious – I need more treats I think (especially wine)! I got asked today what I ate for dinner last night, and was embarassed to have to say cottage cheese, crackers and Kombucha! I need to do more cooking!

Isn’t the STUFT cookie dough the best? Have you tried the pumpkin yet? It’s sooo good! I love cashew butter, I’m not much of a fan of peanut or almond butter. My days off are on Tuesday’s too (and the weekend) so those are laid back and my working schedule is so crazy that my eats are always all over the place the rest of the time!

yes! i tried the pumpkin version yesterday for the first time. it was pretty good, but i honestly think i like the original version better. cashew butter is super good too!

I had my first peanut butter egg of the season tonight! They really are the best!

Love your eats, girl. I’m definitely going to try out the no-bake chocolate chip cookie dough balls. Yum! And I love that they’re easy to grab on the run. As far as work day meals go: they’re *definitely* different than the meals I prepare when I’m home. I find that I like to pack salads for work (or other “coldish” items, like turkey roll-ups, lettuce wraps etc) because I don’t have to bother using the microwave or doing much prep work once I’m at the office. When I’m home, I love having hot meals, like soup, omelets, stir-fry’s, mini pizzas etc. :)

Peanut butter is and always will be the #1 nut butter in my life. I like almond butter, but it doesn’t quite measure up. Maybe I need to try the Costco brand? I also recently bought sunflower seed butter, but it just doesn’t satisfy me like PB does! <3

yes to the peanut butter being #1! my “favorites list” of nut butters goes like this: peanut butter, sunflower butter, almond butter. the sunflower butter grew on me with time, but it’s kind of pricey and harder to find, so i don’t buy it often. i thought i’d try the almond butter for a change up, but i’m def going back to my peanut butter after i’m finished with this jar. :)

Your eats look so good! Especially breakfast and midafternoon snack 1! My eats really differ depending on what I’m doing – if I’m working it’s so different than if I’m on break at home, which is so different than if I’m on vacation, which is so different than if I’m at school (although that’s largely because of the meal plan). My favorite style of eating is probably the one that I don when I’m at home and have time. Though then I tend to go crazy on the ice cream. :P