A Night On The Town

Happy Monday to you!

Yesterday I mentioned that our fun on Saturday didn’t end with the Tulip Festival.  After hanging out at home for about an hour, we headed back out for a night on the town!  We had a dinner date planned and a Utah Jazz basketball game to get to, both of which are in downtown Salt Lake.

We live about 45 minutes outside of Salt Lake, so when one of our friends suggested taking TRAX (our public transportation system), we were down!  Neither of us have ever even been on TRAX before, so we were kind of excited to see what it was all about.  Not to mention we both grew up in the Phoenix area where public transportation is pretty minimal.  We drove to the nearest TRAX station, bought our tickets, and hopped on the train for a ride to our next destination.

I’ve always been intimidated by public transportation, but riding TRAX really couldn’t have been simpler.  We also enjoyed not having to worry about parking downtown which is always a pain.  It was an overall success and we definitely plan on using TRAX again when we head downtown in the future!

We decided on Z’Tejas, a southwestern grill, for dinner.  It was right down the street from the arena, so it worked out perfectly.  We had about a half hour wait so we enjoyed the beautiful weather outside and people watched.  Both Cody and I are always amazed at what people choose to wear these days.  Ha!  As I was sitting there, I realized that we were sitting right across the street from Kodiak Cakes Bakery!

Of course I had to go buy some of their amazing pancake mix!

I also managed to walk out with a couple cookies for Cody and me.  We decided that dessert before dinner was totally acceptable that night.  Winking smile  I got a peanut butter milk chocolate cookie, which I cannot even explain in words how incredible it was.  I think I even have to go as far as to say that it’s the best cookie I have ever had in my entire life.  It was thick, dense, had a perfectly soft center with crispy edges, and just all around amazing.

We finally got seated which was a good thing because “Crabby Ashley” was about to come out if it didn’t happen soon.  Smile   They served us their complimentary homemade cornbread with honey butter while we looked through the menu.  Yum!

After a lot of going back and forth between fajitas, fish tacos, and their chicken avocado sandwich, I finally decided on the chicken avocado sandwich.  The side of sweet potato fries may or may not have had an impact on my decision. Winking smile  I ate the sandwich open faced and left half of the bun and finished off about half of my sweet potato fries.  Cody gladly finished them off for me.

We walked over to the arena after dinner just a few minutes before the game started.  Both of us aren’t huge Utah Jazz fans since we’re from Arizona, but we both love basketball so it’s always fun to go to the games.

During half time there was a group called “The Green Man Group” from Utah Valley University that performed.  They played the drums and did a great job!  I was super impressed and really enjoyed their performance.

We left a little early because it was way past our bedtime (remember I’m a grandma), and we still had quite a trek home.  Cody found out that the Jazz won in overtime though!

It was such a fun night!  We enjoyed being able to do a few things that we don’t normally do and spend time with each other just the two of us.

Have a great day! Smile

P.S.  The winners of the NuNaturals giveaway are Brittany @ Delights and Delectables, Renata, Shaunna Ulrick, & Beatrice.  Congratulations!  Email me at ashlw0304@yahoo.com with your full name and shipping information.

• What did you do this weekend?
  • Do you use public transportation regularly?
  • Do you like going to live sports’ events?  If so, what is your favorite sport to watch?

Comments

I watched our first NBA game in Phoenix in March and loved it! I never have had any interest in basketball so was surprised at how much I liked it. I have been to a few baseball games and they are hit or miss. However, being a Canadian girl I have to go with hockey being my favorite sport to watch (my family would dis-own me if not…), we have been to a game 7 in the playoffs and it was pretty intense! I always find the crowds can make or break a game.

I am so glad you had such a fun weekend to! I have never tried Kodiak Cakes pancake/waffle mix before but I have heard great things! I have only been to one NBA game before and it was actually a Phoenix Suns game when we were visiting Arizona. I was only 6 or 7 though so I don’t remember much ha!

Glad you had such a great date night! Nothing beats good one-on-one time with the significant other ;) This weekend I went out for a yummy brunch with my boyfriend, attended a friends’ housewarming party, did a 10krace & had a visit/dinner with my parents! Good weekend overall fo sho.

I hate driving so I am a huge fan of public transportation! It is always fun to go out and do something a little different than whats on your normal weekend agenda! Your dinner looked amazing and the game looked like it was a ton of fun!

5. LG says

Hey Ashley,

I wanted to continue to encourage you about the “eats”. Keep going, girl..good job. The “reward” is ahead and you and well worth it! You are a beautiful, wise woman, following the Lord’s leading.

L.

This sounds like such a fun date night!

Public transportation isn’t big in the town where I live, but I’ve used it frequently when visiting my sister in Philly & traveling to NYC. Sometimes it can be tricky to figure out, but once you’ve got it down it makes commuting so much easier!

Aw that looks like such a fun night! And wow does that cookie look amazing! Dessert before dinner would have happened for me too ;). I had fun going out with some girls on Saturday for one of my friend’s birthdays…and I enjoyed reading yesterday! Yay for relaxing haha. Hope you have a great Monday!

What a fun date night! I got the hubs’ tickets to see the Celtics for his birthday 2 years and we had a blast.
    Where I live in RI, public transportation is few and far between, even the bus stops within a couple miles from our complex don’t have regular pickups. The bus/trolley seems pretty good in Providence (the city). We sometimes take the train to Boston and use the Subway, but most of the time I’d rather walk in Boston, it is the walking city!

Aww how fun! Sounds like you guys had such a great day/day night! Best cookie ever is a pretty bold statement – if I ever find a kodiak cakes bakery I’m going to have to order that cookie :)

I’m canadian, so of course hockey is my favourite sport to watch :) It looks like you guys had an amazing day spending time together! That cornbread looks absolutely incredible too…I actually kind of have a fear of busses, so I never ever take them haha, I’m weird.

11. Renata says

Sounds like a fun time out you all had! The food looks delicious and yummy too! Thank you for the NuNaturals – I just sent you my info :)

Dessert before dinner is *always* acceptable in my book. ;) In fact, I often eat something sweet before my meal because it makes me appreciate the savory food so much more! (It’s all about flavor contrast) :-) And goodness gracious, that cookie sounds to-die-for delicious!

It looks like you and Cody had a such a fun night! I’m loving that avocado chicken sandwich–definitely my type of meal. And sweet potato fries? Let’s just say, I regularly have the frozen Alexia version stocked in my freezer. :)

Hugs! xoxo

13. Shaunna Ulrick says

My date night is tomorrow….just dinner but when you have a kidlette long date nights are harder to get away for :)