Trainer Tuesday: Tabata Cardio Workout

Happy Tuesday!

We are finally home sweet home after a long car ride yesterday.  Cody and I both agree that the trip home seems so much longer than the trip to your initial destination.  I still feel like I have a million things to catch up on even after only being away for four days, but at least now we’re home!

Today  I have an awesome Trainer Tuesday workout in store for you!  We will be focusing on cardio in the form of tabatas today.  Tabatas may be new for some of you, but they really are so simple and a ton of fun.  The idea behind tabatas is very similar to HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workouts.  Tabatas include 20 seconds of going hard with high intensity followed by 10 seconds of rest.  Tabatas keep things interesting and allow your body to keep guessing.

Before beginning the below workout, ensure that you warm up for about 5-10 minutes with some low to moderate cardio such as brisk walking or jogging.  As always, ensure that you check with your doctor or physician before starting a new workout routine.

tabatawkout

This workout is only 20 minutes long but you will be a sweaty mess in no time and your heart rate will be through the roof.

Don’t waste any time!  Go knock out this quick and fun workout pronto!  No excuses! Winking smile

Edited to add:  If you aren’t sure on any of the above exercises, I would recommend searching them on YouTube! :)

• Have you ever done a workout that includes tabatas?
  • What is your workout today?

Comments

I really enjoy Tabata workouts. I went to the gym this morning and did 30 mins on the eliptical and 20 mins of upper body weights. Nothing exciting but better than nothing :)

This looks like a really great tabata workout to try, but I’m not sure how to do some of the moves. I did a quick search on your blog and didn’t find any references for them. Is there somewhere else I can look? Specifically, for “Foot Fires” and “Cross Country Skiing.”

Thanks!

if you search them on YouTube, they usually have some great videos of various exercises. if you still can’t find them on there, let me know!

LOVE tabata workouts. I hopefully plan on doing a quick one after my kids are in bed if i have time. I am going to have to incorporate the plank jacks in there! I love when i do a “new” exercise that I have forgotten about for a while.

I haven’t worked out since the half marathon on Saturday haha. Part of the reason is because I’m wanting to rest my body after that experience … but the main reason is just lack of time. Lame excuse, but there it is! ;)

i think those are pretty legit excuses! you just ran THIRTEEN miles a few days ago! you deserve some quality rest girl. ;)

I love tabatas! That or HIIT is my favourite style of working out, I love that it is over before I know it. I am taking a rest day or couple days because I need my body to get back to functioning properly!

I have never heard of the term tabata, but I love short-high intensity workouts because it’s a great way to increase my heart rate. I will try this workout tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

good for you brit! i mowed the yard for my workout… whew! it’s more tiring than i remembered!