WIAW #32: Road Trip Eats

Hey hey!  Happy new day to you!  I always love the start of a new day.  Yesterday was “one of those days” where I felt like I had a TON to do and nothing was working out how I had hoped it would.  Thank goodness that today is a new day!

Wednesday means another WIAW (What I Ate Wednesday) post!  If you’re interested in learning more about what WIAW is all about, check out Peas & Crayons for more info.

Peas and Crayons

Today I’m going to share with you my eats from Monday.  As I shared on Monday, we were in Arizona this past weekend visiting friends and family.  We drove back home on Monday, which meant eleven hours in the car.  It was a long drive, but I always have so much fun with Cody and the pups along the way.  My eats from Monday weren’t the healthiest they could have been, but they also weren’t terrible.  I had a little more sugar than I would’ve liked, but it happens, right? Winking smile

breakfast – 7:00 AM

I had two pieces of toasted cinnamon raisin bread topped with chunky peanut butter with a side of blueberries and strawberries at my parents’ house before we hit the road.  A mug of coffee was consumed as we started on our drive to wake me up a bit.  Sorry all of this was unpictured… I didn’t think about making my day of eats a WIAW post until later.

snack #1 – 10:00 AM

On the road I enjoyed a Vanilla Almond LUNA Bar that I snagged from my parents’ pantry before we left.  This was my first time trying this flavor, and I really enjoyed it!

snack #2 – 12:30 PM

We decided to hold out on lunch until we could get to a Chipotle since we were both majorly craving it.  I had a few handfuls of peanut butter filled pretzels mixed with Trader Joe’s mini chocolate peanut butter cups to hold me over until lunch.  This was the perfect sweet and salty combo!

lunch – 2:30 PM

We stopped at Chipotle for lunch where I got a Vegetarian Burrito Bowl.  In my bowl was brown rice, black beans, roasted green peppers and onions, pico de gallo, cheese, guacamole, and lettuce.  I polished off the bowl in no time.  It was SO good!

dinner dessert – 6:00 PM

We both really weren’t that hungry for dinner, but when we passed by a Dairy Queen on the road, we both thought that a Blizzard sounded perfect.  I got a small Cookie Dough Blizzard that totally hit the spot!

As you can tell our day of eats were kind of all over the place thanks to traveling, but they were delicious nonetheless!  We finally arrived home at about 8:00 PM Utah time, and ended the evening with unpacking, showers, and BED!

• What are your favorite on-the-road snacks?
  • Do you like Chipotle?  If so, what do you usually order?

Comments

1. kelly says

Ugh, my family is ten hours away. Such a long day! Your eats look pretty good for being on the road!

I love Chipotle, I was just telling my husband that I am going to go there for lunch :) I always find road trips hard when it comes to eating healthy. Looks like you had some great options!

haha i know, right?! i almost always raid their pantry when i go home. good thing i live several hundred miles away otherwise they wouldn’t have much food left! ;)

i do like chipotle.. although i don’t frequent it often because i usually make similar dishes at home… beans, veggies, sometimes rice, sometimes chicken. :) it is a great healthy option for on the road though! (well healthy if you make the right choices!) i always have some type of bar in the car, almonds, and tons of water!!

I always pack PB&J sandwiches for road trips!
    I have only ate there once since it is not in Canada and I had the veggie burrito bowl which was amazing for sure!

I’ve only eaten at Chipolte twice, and both times, it was quite the experience. I don’t do well with spicy foods, and I tried to pick food that wasn’t spicy, but evidently I have a low tolerance. I think I drank a gallon of water with my food, b/c it was so spicy– both times! LOL

I LOVE chipotle! I go all out with the massive chicken burrito with beans, rice, guac, cheese, sour cream, veggies, lettuce, salsa! It can barely be rolled up and I love every bite. I wish i had a chipotle near me. I am a HUGE snacker on road trips and eat either chocolate chex mix or trail mix, now I’m hungry.

7. Megan S. says

I am gearing up for some upcoming trips this month and have been figuring out what to bring with me! Those eats looks good, especially that blizzard :)

Thankfully I’ll be driving for most of them which keeps me occupied. Sometimes if I’m the passenger I get bored and just want to eat, which is never a good thing!

Woahhh that is a long time in the car, power to ya Ashley! I get so antsy after about two hours, so yeah, I am not the best at road trips haha. Definitely a fan of chipotle and blizzards… oh lord yes. It’s been wayyy too long since i have had one though and I plan to overcome my fear this summer :)

i’m definitely an antsy person too, so road trips aren’t my favorite. since we’ve done the same road trip to AZ several times now, i feel like a pro at that drive though. :) half the time i sleep so it makes time go by faster too.

My hubby loves chiptole, but there isnt one near where we currently live. We go to a place called freebirds that is very similar. Ive never had that luna bar flavor either and I have tried them all or so I thought. Ill have to look for it.

I love ice cream on the road–such a nice treat for making me sit still for so loooonnngggg (can ya tell I hate being in the car for more than 2 hrs?!) Heh.

That Luna bar sounds yummy!

The blizzard looks awesome! On Sunday, as we were driving back from Nashville, I had a major hankering for ice cream (even though I had JUST met Natalie for brunch). I insisted that Brandon drive through McDonalds so that I could get an ice cream cone. ;) So yummy!

I like your road eats. That is a crazy long time to spend in the car. I need to challenge myself to a blizzard this summer I think, it has been far too long since I have had one.

I always pack things like protein bars, cereal, yogurt, nuts, and beef jerky. Popcorn is a great thing to munch on in the car too. I will need to have plenty of travel snacks in the next couple of weeks, as my hubby and I will be going across Europe vi rail!

I love those mini PB cups from TJ!!! Travel foods are hard but I try to bring along trail mixes, snack bars, and of course there are some fun places to stop for snacks!

You’re making me so jealous with that Blizzard! ;) Dairy Queen definitely reminds me of road trips. When I was little, my family drove from southern to northern California several times/year, and we’d *always* stop halfway at DQ for chocolate-dipped ice cream cones. :) My parents were very good bribers…I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have sat still for 8+hours had DQ not been part of the deal. ;)

I try to always have healthy snacks on hand when I travel, but I also see vacation as a time to enjoy delicious “snacky” foods that I don’t typically eat at home. On a roadtrip last year I treated myself to a bag of Cheetos–a total indulgence, but I enjoyed every fluorescent orange bite!

xoxo <3

i love your attitude toward vacation… i totally agree! hence my blizzard and mini reese’s pb cup/pretzel combo. ;)

My husband and I are already brainstorming snack foods to pack for our move from Arizona to Ohio (so much driving!) and your pretzel mix is definitely going on the list :) Love it!