Getting An Itch

Hey, hey!  Happy Tuesday!

Tuesdays usually consist of a new Trainer Tuesday workout, but I honestly just don’t feel like thinking up a workout at the moment.  Maybe I’ll feel up to it later in the week and you’ll get a workout then… Or maybe not.  We’ll have to see. Winking smile

Instead I decided to ramble on today about how I’m getting a REAL itch to run.  Like bad.  I’m going to chalk this up there for a few reasons…

1)  The weather has been GORGEOUS lately.  All I want to do is be outside.  Especially running outside.

2)  It’s been almost two months since I’ve ran or did any sort of high intensity exercise.  I never thought I’d see this day coming.  It’s just been so long.  I miss that endorphin rush and energy I get from running.

3)  My friend that I was supposed to run the half marathon with is really getting into her training now.  I’m so proud of her and all of her hard work.  It also makes me wish so badly I was training with her.

4)  I’ve been feeling some stress with work recently.  Running is my favorite stress reliever.

I never in my life thought I’d go two weeks without any sort of high intensity exercise, let alone two months.  Yes, I love exercise that much.  Call me crazy.  Regardless, the last two months have been so good for me.  Hard, but good.  Mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually… it’s all been tough, but I know I’m going to come out on top and it’ll all be worth it in the end.

Pinned Image[source]

One of my best friends reminded me the other day that this is only a temporary thing.  Even though I know that in the back of my head, it’s nice to be reminded of it as I seem to lose sight of that sometimes.  Although I don’t plan to beat my body up like I used to, I do plan to run again someday.  And boy, do I look forward to that “someday”…

Pinned Image[source]

I’m considering going on a short jog around the neighborhood today. I think an easy one or two miler might help me get my itch out. Or maybe it’ll make the itch worse? Who knows. Regardless, it will be SHORT and EASY.

Go on a good run for me, will you?  Or don’t, if your body is saying “NO!”.  That’s cool too and totally commendable.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my rambles, complaints, and thoughts. Please don’t feel sorry for me or anything like that.  That is not why I am writing this post.  It is simply to share what is on my mind and heart.  You all are the best. Seriously. Thank you.

Comments

I understand and think you are so strong for not running these past couple of months. I cannot do it and have tried, and failed. I have drastically cut down my mileage, was 50-70km a week and now it is 6-10km a week, and about a minute slower a km.
    If you have the itch I can 1-2 miles won’t hurt and it is good stress relief, might be a bit good for your body in that sense.

Aww Ash! I think a slow mile jog around the neighborhood couldn’t hurt, especially if your hear rate doesn’t get up much! You’ll get through this, it’s just one short blip in your long and wonderful life!

Hey girl, I love you and am so proud of you! You are such an amazing example on women and I am so blessed to have you as a friend! :-) I totally understand that itch to run. As soon as my half was over, I thought I needed a break from running, but the truth is that I crave it! I have done 2 easy 2 milers this past week and it felt amazing to want to run and not to feel forced to train. I think a 2 mile light jog would be a nice way for you to satisfy that running craving. Just go slow, listen to your body, and enjoy the moment! :-)

i’m not worried that a mile or two here or there will set me back… but i am worried that i’ll get the urge to run more and then overdo it. :/

What you are doing is outstanding and your body is going to thank you. I think the weather is one of the biggest things for itching to run, I was lucky enough to get injured in the winter season so that itch was not as strong but even then it was strong. Hopefully you can find a balance, and if that means a little one mile jog today then maybe that is worth it!

I definitely understand the “runner’s itch”. After my half-marathon, my brain said to chill out with the running, but my body craved it! I went for a 3.5 mile run for you this morning ;). 1 or 2 miles around the block at an easy pace won’t be bad, as long as you keep it slow and easy. Endorphins will flow whether your heart rate goes crazy or not.

Hi there -

I dropped off my running for a very different reason than you but I have found that a sweaty hike does a lot of the same stress dumping (I haven’t been reading your blog enough to know if you are a hiker or not).

Hiking also has the potential to be high intensive and a calories burn so you would have to consider how you go about it. I don’t know enough about hiking in your area to know what is available to you but if it is an option.

You may need to “re-pattern” a bit so that you start to crave a walk – whether in the neighborhood or in the woods to release that stress. You have no idea how well I know it is not the same thing as a run, but I think you will surprise yourself.

Best of luck.

• says

Ack! Sorry. I re-read your post on dropping your intensity and you are already a major hiker. :)

Sorry about that. Hang in there! You have your mind and heart on something so important. I think not only will you learn a lot from this but so will others. :)

oh no worries! thanks for the suggestion samantha! i do LOVE hiking! and we live in utah county with some gorgeous trails around. :)

I feel your pain. Seeing all the happy (or sometimes unhappy) runners out enjoying this gorgeous weather really gets to me too. I’m with Claire and Lindsay on this one, though. I’m sure you’ll make the right choice.

I really admire you for fully listening to your body and taking that time off. I think it is something that is very difficult to do when exercise has always been a big part of your life. Listening to your body is an important thing to do – and I often have trouble doing it from day to day – let alone giving it a long (and needed) break like you did!

I hope your short run really fulfills that itch – and you continue to do what your body needs!

I think a one or two miler sounds perfect :) You could always break it up and do a run/walk if you feel like it is a little much. That way you get to be outside, enjoy the weather, and clear your head. Hve a fantastic day!!

I can relate to your itch, but you are doing the right thing :) You know what you need RIGHT NOW and I love how you said that you will come out on top :) Always a great attitude, love <3 Always inspiring and leaving me happy :)

Love you Ashley

I think you should treat yourself to that run. ;) Your body probably needs a little variety after all of that low-intensity exercise, and I doubt that a slow, easy jog will mess anything up! This thing you’re doing is a lifestyle choice, and everything like that should be done in moderation. Besides, like you’ve said before, you DO plan on doing some high intensity exercise again in the future, so it’s probably best to get back into it slowly– while you still remember the reason you’re cutting back on it and why it’s important to maintain balance. :)

I’m so much younger than you, but I still have to say that I’m really proud of you, Ashley! :D Just keep listening to your body and keep treating it well! I wish you nothing but the best!!!

I’m so proud of you girl!! :) I have been getting an itch to work out too. I just did some weights yesterday, but I took it slow and easy. A short jog shouldn’t be too much stress on your body. However, I will say… my body is craving more exercise now that I lifted. :/

that is what i’m worried about! i really don’t think 1-2 easy miles will hurt me, but i have a feeling it’s going to leave me with an urge to run more.

You are doing so great with decreasing the intense exercise! I really admire you for it. Just know all the positive things that will come out of it at the end! It will be totally worth it, and its only temporary. I don’t think a short run would hurt though, especially if it will help you mentally!

Don’t worry, you aren’t crazy, I get the itch to run too! And you are doing great with all this so keep your head up! Can you go for a light, easy jog just to enjoy the weather, listen to some music, and clear your head? A low intensity run, if you will? :)

That’s exactly how I felt when I was training for the half marathon, except I had an itch to do more strength and circuit workouts and less running. But now I’m back into my running groove. I definitely think that a slow and steady mile-long jog couldn’t hurt if you are really craving it!

Hugs to you! Do you think light jogging would be an issue? I guess I’m thinking just one short jog shouldn’t affect you too much … but at the same time, you don’t want to do anything to jeopardize how far you’ve come! You know what’s best for you! Love ya, girl!

no, i don’t think some light jogging would hurt me, but i’m afraid i’ll get a huge urge to want to do more than i should. i ended up just doing a yoga video today and felt fine with that because i didn’t sleep well last night. i’m just going to take it day by day. :) love you too!

17. Sara says

I can identify completely! I got a stress fracture in the heel bone of my right foot at the beginning of March, and I haven’t been able to run since then. I’m about to go crazy with wanting to run, as it is my way of relieving stress, especially now since it is the final 3 weeks of classes and grad school is super demanding! I’m slowly building back up (I’m allowed to do the elliptical this week and then finally running can start next week), but its been challenging to say the least. I hope that your short jog will cure the itch ;) Hang in there girl! It will be worth it in the end!

hoooo boy do I understand Ashley! I have been going with the less intense stuff while you have as well (although you have been much stronger about it!) and this itch to run makes sense! If you went on a jog today, I hope it went well and cured that drive to do it!

Ash, I can completely relate to your feelings about running! I’m not supposed to be doing any on my current exercise plan (weights only), but after a few weeks of my begging, my trainer agreed to one session per week. I really look forward to those runs, but it’s true that they make me want to go more frequently. It’s also hard for me to stop once I’m in motion. The temptation to “just go a little further” is always alive and well.

Hang in there, girl. I know how challenging this “cutting back” process is! But we are strong and we CAN do it. Love you. <3 xoxo

Ahhh the weather we’ve been having in PERFECT for running.
    Maybe you could just set out for a run/walk? Run when you feel like it until you don’t, then walk again, just enjoying the weather as you go? Doesn’t have to be super intense, right? :)

21. LG says

I hope yesterday went well for you! I’m sure you’ll find just the right balance. These days I maybe run 10 miles a week and do a few workout videos too, and now with eating enough it still allows my body to function properly on a monthly basis if ya know what I mean. :0) And I’m happy with my weight. So there’s a way to have your cake & eat it too, and it sounds like you’re on the right path to finding it!!! I have asked God many times over the years for “just the next step” – what I was supposed to adjust or ponder next in terms of recovery, and through my tears and trials he always provided a word from someone, a blog, a book or a podcast that I needed. Anyway, keep going with however God leads you, girl. Nice work!!!