The Perfect Overnight Oats Combo

Good morning!

Let’s talk about overnight oats today.  I discovered overnight oats when I first started reading some healthy living blogs last summer.  For those of you that are out of the loop, overnight oats are exactly that… overnight oats.  You put some oats, liquid (i.e. milk, water, yogurt), and chia seed in an air sealed container overnight, you wake up, and voila!  You have your overnight oats.  I always like to top my overnight oats with all sorts of fruity and nut buttery goodness too.  Can’t leave that part out.

When I first tried making overnight oats, I wasn’t an instant fan.  I didn’t quite understand what all the hoopla was about them.  Then I discovered what chia seeds were and finally bought some a few months ago.  They made all the difference!  When chia seeds are mixed with water, they make somewhat of a “gooey” consistency which causes the oats to be more doughy.

People use different measurements of different ingredients for the overnight oats.  Some use milk and water with their oats while others prefer yogurt and milk.  It really just depends on how thick you like the consistency to be.  I like mine to be thicker, so I like to use yogurt and milk.  After some experimenting and different variations, I finally came up with my “perfect overnight oats combo”.

IMG_1951

Here it is:

• 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds

You stir the above ingredients up real good, let it set in the refrigerator overnight, and wake up to add some additional ingredients that make it even better.

In the morning, I add:

• 1/2 smashed banana
  • a couple pinches of Stevia
  • a dollop of crunchy peanut butter

IMG_1952

Then you proceed by gobbling it up.  Perfect overnight oats combo right there.  Winking smile

• Have you tried overnight oats?  Are you a fan?
  • How do you usually make your overnight oats?

Comments

Love them, had them this morning! I forgot the chia seeds last night though. Geesh ;)
    I think the addition on Greek yogurt is key. I top mine with PB, fresh berries and hemp or flax. Soo yummy!

I have never tried overnight oats. I keep seeing it on all my favorite food blogs…so I think I need to try making some very soon! I love oats and I absolutely love chia seeds too, so I think that I will become addicted once I finally do try them. :)

That does sound like a nice “base” to ‘em. I always add some crunchy granola, berries, and AB in the morning. SO delicious!

(And amen to the chia seeds comment. So vital!)

Have a good Friday!

crunchy granola is a great idea! i’m sure i’d love that one too. happy friday to you too! enjoy time with your hubby!

4. Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers says

Biiiiig time overnight oats fan right here! And I tooootally agree that including chia seeds is a must. It makes them so much thicker!

I love overnight oats! Yours make me look like a sugar addict though :) I have to use vanilla yogurt and still add another sweetener! I agree that chia seeds are definitely the key though! I also have to have banana or raspberries in them – some kind of fruit!

Mmm! I love overnight oats. I discovered them from the healthy living blog world as well! I’ve tried a number of different combos- my favorite is one very similar to this, but I add cinnamon as well! Its amazing what a difference the chia seeds make. I also love to do a mixed berry combo and top it with berries, jam and agave, soo good!

obsessed with overnight oats but i like mine super super thick & doughy so I normally leave out the milk. I love topping them with pretzels for some crunch too.

I am really happy you shared this Ashley :) I have tried overnight oats, too. But, like you, was confused about the whole amazingness of it all? They were just ok. Can’t wait to try YOUR measurements out, though! Will be giving it a go this weekend :) xoxo

I love overnight oats! I agree that chia seeds are a must. My measurements are pretty much the same as yours, except I use almond milk or almond coconut milk. In the morning, I go with whatever sounds good – sometimes it’s pb or ab, sometimes it’s raisins and cinnamon, other times it’s chocolate almond spread and bananas. I eat them a LOT during the summer!

I love overnight oats for when it’s warm out but I’m craving oatmeal. I always like mine a little runnier and end up adding more almond milk in the morning. I agree about the chia seeds – they make it!

I always add berries in the morning, and sometimes some PB.

I love overnight oats, but I guess technically there not really? I cook them the night before and then put them in the fridge overnight, the best. The chia is key for sure!

Great tutorial, Ash! As you know, I’m fairly new to the overnight oats thing, Now that I’ve warmed up to the simplest prep ever (oats + almond milk + stevia), I think it’s time to move on to a more sophisticated version. ;) I need to buy some more Greek yogurt tomorrow, but once I have it, I’m definitely going to give your version a whirl. Can’t wait!

Hope you’re having a great weekend, girl! xoxo

i have a feeling i’m going to be eating them a lot this summer! i crave them when it’s warm outside.

13. SB says

LOVE them. I like mine thick and with a lot of Greek yogurt for protein:

1/3 c oats (or oat bran or my fave–peanut butter Puffins cereal!)
    6 oz or 3/4 c (1 container) Fage or Chobani
    1/4 c milk
    1.5 tsp chia seeds

I usually add fruit, nuts for healthy fats and some vanilla, stevia and cinnamon.

I have never tried these, but I definitely will tonight. I start work really early in the morning and love sleeping in, so having my breakfast already prepared is a great idea. Thanks for the recipe :)

15. Beth says

Do you mix them up, put them in a Ziploc bag overnight in a fridge and transport to a bowl in the morning? Or just mix in a bowl to start with? No boiling water/milk needed? Sounds easy enough. Thanks. Although I fear I have tummy problems with oats? Oh no…love oats!

• Beth says

do you use your seeds whole or grind them up?

Do you still miss Arizona? Ever think about moving back? I know you are close to your family! Arizona is so beautiful…but so is Utah!

If I’m using chia seeds, I eat them whole. If I’m using flax seeds, I like to grind them.

I do miss AZ very much, and yes, we’ve considered moving back. We are hoping to in the next few years, but we’ll see where God leads us!

No, I typically just put them in a tupperware container with an airtight lid or a regular bowl and cover with plastic wrap. No boiling needed!