Playground Workout

I don’t know about you, but I’ve been craving the outdoors nonstop lately.  When the weather is nice, the flowers are blooming, and the sky is bright blue, I take every chance I can to be outside.  My workouts are one of the many chances I take to get outside.  Go find your nearest playground and have a little fun with this workout!

playgroundwkout

Complete 12-15 reps of each of the below exercises.  End the circuit with a one mile run.  Repeat circuit.  Complete circuit for a total of 3 times.

Warm Up

Jog or walk briskly for 5-10 minutes.

Incline Pushups

Find a bench and place hands on the bench just outside of your shoulders.  Do a pushup until your nose is right above the bench.  Keep your body straight!

Step Ups

Step one leg up onto a bench or step and bring your other knee up as high as you can.  Continue this motion for 12-15 reps.  Repeat on the opposite leg.

Pull Ups

Find some monkey bars and do your best to pull your body up and down.

Bulgarian Split Squats

Go back to your bench and get in a lunge-like position with the back leg on the bench and the front leg on the ground.  Go up and down for 12-15 reps.  Repeat on the opposite leg.

Tricep Dips

Use the bench or a step.  Place hands just outside of your hips, elbows pointing straight back (not out to the side), and legs straight out in front of you.  Press your body weight up and down.

Knee Ups

Hang from monkey bars and bring your knees to your chest.

Monkey Bars Sit Ups

Hang from the monkey bars and use your core to pull your weight up and back down.

(Go run that one mile, take a 60 second rest, and repeat the circuit!)

Cool Down

Do some stretching and take a short walk to cool down your body.

I hope you guys are able to try this one out!  As always, I’m here if you have any questions.  Have an awesome day!

P.S.  Those pull ups are brutal if you haven’t done much weight lifting in awhile.  Sheesh!

• Do you ever take your strength training workouts outside?
  • What is your workout today?

Comments

haha yeah we live in a neighborhood with lots of young families, so i was actually really surprised not to see any kids on the playground while i was there!

Such a CUTE workout…love it! Those monkey bar crunches look intense! Today’s workout was a lower body weights session- sadly I was confined in a gym ;)!

OhMGeeeeeeeeeee! My post TODAY is about my typical “run” which ends at the playground. And one of my readers suggested I do some strength training once I get there while Babycakes plays. I was at a loss of where to start… and VOILA. God gave me YOU and this awesome BLOG and this perfect workout!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!! I’m so pumped, if you couldn’t tell already! I will be trying out most of these moves TONIGHT!

this looks so fun!!! today i just did some incline walking with a quick ab workout… i will probably take my pooch for a dog after work since it’s so nice here too!

That looks super fun! I have never done a workout outside like that. I just finished Yoga Meltdown which is my only workout for the day :)

That looks like such a great workout!! I’ve done a playground type workout with Chris before and it was so much harder than I anticipated! I think my workout today is going to be running stairs at the nearby reservoir….I haven’t worked out in like 4 days so I’m itching to move!

i LOVE running stairs. i don’t know why, but it’s one of my favorite cardio workouts. i always feel so good afterward! enjoy!

I love this workout! I’ve been meeting my personal training client at the park by my house for the past few weeks, and it has been awesome. I love outdoor workouts, and there really are SO many exercise options with simple playground equipment. I take my homemade TRX-style straps, and it makes it a killer total body workout.

Thanks for sharing!

Love this! I love outdoor workouts, and I’ve been meeting my personal training client at the park by my house for the past few weeks. There really are so many exercise options with simple playground equipment! I’ve been bringing my homemade trx-style straps, and it has made for a killer total body workout! Thanks for sharing!

I love this post! You look so good too! :)

I did my workout inside today and at 5:30 a.m. in the morning. Urghh but yay!! I did the Firm’s Total Body Time Crunch. While I don’t have a playground near me, I bet I could come up with an outside strength training workout. Thanks for the inspiration as always!

thank you Ro! :) strong work at getting that workout in! i’m sure afterward it was TOTALLY worth it!

9. luv2run says

Ashely you are so fit and beautiful! :D I’m having so much trouble with pull-ups, any tips????? i can do them if my feet touch the ground but if the bar is higher and im hanging i cant :( help lol :D

thank you! hmm i would recommend trying to put some sort of step stool or box underneath you to give your body some support while pulling yourself up. i know they’re pretty challenging!

This is amazing Ashley! I seriously love this SO much! What a great idea! I love all the different exercise you included!!!!!

Today I did a bicep and tricep workout at the gym :) Took me 30 minutes! Just what I needed

i did a 20 minute workout in my driveway today. didn’t feel like running but it was way too nice to be inside! i mixed up some jumping jacks, push ups, sit-ups, etc. it was so fun!

This is so fun! What a great idea–and a great workout! I am impressed that you can do a pull up. This girl is WEAK. No pull ups for me. :(

This is great! I bring my daughter to the park a lot during the warmer months because it’s right next to the track, she usually only lets me do a mile before complaining, I walk very fast, for some reason I just can’t run. This would be great to do while she’s playing! Bu what do I do if I can’t do pull ups or knee ups? :( Sad huh!