WIAW #36: New Creations

Wow, it’s already Wednesday!  Awesome, right?!  Gotta love those three day weekends!  Wednesday means it’s time for What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW) where I get to share my delicious eats with ya’ll.  Check out WIAW and all of its glory over at Peas & Crayons.

Peas and Crayons

Today’s post shares yesterday’s meals and snacks which I got a little more creative with than usual.  I tried out some new combinations of foods and recipes that turned out to be pretty darn good if I do say so myself. Winking smile  Let’s check them out!

breakfast – 6:45 AM

I used my Kodiak Cake mix (nothing new there) and sliced a bunch of strawberries up to add to the batter instead of my usual mashed banana or blueberries.  I slathered a thin layer of sunflower seed butter on each pancake, topped them with a big dollop of plain Greek yogurt sweetened with NuNaturals Vanilla Liquid Stevia, and dug right in.  It was a winning combo for sure.

IMG_1988

mid morning snack – 10:30 AM

Before I knew it, it was 10:30 and I realized I needed some sort of snack.  Adam’s All Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter (my all-time favorite) spread on wheat toast with a drizzle of honey.  Simple and perfect.

IMG_1990

lunch – 1:00 PM

I had no idea what I wanted to eat when it came time for lunch.  Our refrigerator and pantry were pretty bare because I still needed to go to the grocery store after being gone all weekend.  (Cody lives off of toast and pizza while I’m gone.)  I opened the freezer and found these frozen chicken and vegetable dumplings which sounded pretty good.

IMG_1996

These were something I initially bought for Cody, but after trying a bite of his a couple weeks ago, I realized how good they are!  Despite the sodium content, the nutritional stats and ingredient list aren’t half bad either.

IMG_1997IMG_1999

I dipped my dumplings in a little soy dipping sauce, and these totally hit the spot!

IMG_1995

I was craving something a little sweet afterward, so I finished up the last of the strawberries since they were looking a little wilty and sad.

IMG_2000

mid afternoon snack #1 – 3:30 PM

I enjoyed some Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt with honey and some chopped kiwi mixed in.  Nothing too new or exciting there, but tasty as always.

IMG_1933

mid afternoon snack #2 – 5:30 PM

I was started to feel pretty hungry all of a sudden while making dinner, so I grabbed a handful of almonds that helped satisfy me until dinner was ready.

IMG_2005

dinner – 6:30 PM

This meal was a new one I was pretty excited about.  I’ve recently been trying to find some new inspiration for dinners, and I came across this wonderful looking skirt steak salad that I knew Cody would love.  I did pretty much everything the recipe called for, except I used feta cheese instead of blue cheese and spinach instead of arugala.  I used the Steakhouse Mustard Vinaigrette that she recommended as well.  It was a hit!  Next time I want to add some roasted asparagus and avocado to the mix too!

IMG_2006

evening snack – 8:30 PM

By the time we got back from our walk, my stomach was already rumbling again for something to eat.  Apparently dinner didn’t satisfy me quite as much as I had hoped it would.  I opted for my recent “go-to” evening snack of LIFE cereal.  I had the below small bowl plus another one.

So there you have it!  Some of my new creations along with some of my usual favorites.

Have a wonderful day!

• Are there any new creations you have made in the kitchen recently?
  • Do you have any good dinner recipes you want to share?  I need some more ideas!

Comments

I am craving salads right now with the warmer weather. But I also find they never hold me over for that long and a bedtime snack is almost always needed.
    Do you like grapefruit? I have to admit I only tried it a few months ago but love it, especially in dishes where it is less bitter tasting. I made this salad recently and loved it -http://www.arunningtale.com/p/recipes.html?recipe_id=6025076

i do like grapefruit, but i often forget about it! i want to try out that salad… thanks for sharing!

I really loving the flavor combination of dijon mustard and maple syrup and have been using it as the base for several different marinades.

Everything looks delicious! I’m hoping that since it’s summer break I will have time to get more creative in the kitchen during the week. We always eat really good food, but it’s like the same type of meals each week. Time to change things up!

I haven’t had Life cereal in years! So delicious though!

Lately we’ve been on a chicken and parmesan-garlic rice risotto (sp?) kick. It’s super easy–basically just toss chicken, olive oil, garlic, and rice in a skillet, keep adding chicken broth while stirring every few minutes. Right before it’s done, add a little butter and a handful of parmesan cheese! Delicious!

I’ve never had potstickers before!

I’ve never had life cereal before, but maybe it’s time to give it a shot. ;)

Your pancakes look so good and are SOO adorable! Haha, it looks like you worked hard in preparing them. Dorky as this sounds, I probably would’ve called them my “baby cakes” because they’re so cute! Gahh.. I’m weird, but just know that I think you do great with food prep, because your food always looks so good! :)

actually it was super easy to put together. just plopped it on the plate and stuck a strawberry on top!

6. LG says

We buy “Ling Lings” (that’s what we call them) now and then at Costco. I use only a tsp of oil when frying them (after boiling them), and they are still quite good! The stats are decent too, which is why I picked them up in the first place…

Your pancakes look fantastic! Bananas and blueberries are the only fruits I ever add to my batter too… but it looks like I need to branch out more and try strawberries!

I’ve done a few meal planning posts in the past 2-3 weeks on my blog and I show all my dinners from the week! There are some good ideas in there. :)

Not a new creation, but I recently tried chicken parm for the first time in quite a while. I used this pecan-breadcrumb crust I got at whole foods recently and it was DELICIOUS as a breading for the chicken.

My favorite summer dinner recipe is turkey burgers wrapped in turkey bacon–just add 1.5 tsp. poultry seasoning to one package of lean ground turkey and form into 4 burgers. Wrap 2 slices of turkey bacon around each one and grill until cooked through. Then, I top them with a sauce of blue or gorgonzola cheese and greek yogurt with a little S&P. So SO yum! The recipe is on my blog, too! :)

yum! those sound awesome! i actually just made turkey burgers with bacon and cheese last night for dinner before i even read this comment. haha!

I know I said this last week, but yeah, Life cereal needs to make it back in my life! First the PB cheerios and then Life :) Both ideas coming from you m’dear haha
    I need some new dinner ideas too… although I have been on a chicken kick lately, using different marinades and cooking methods and yeah, yum! The other night I had a pan-seared chicken breast with some tasty spices and then an avocado sauce. SO GOOD and I shall be posting the recipe on my blog soon :)

11. Min says

Hi Ashley!
    your day of eats look so similar to mine! hehe..I am trying to incorporate a lot of healthy fat into my diet as well! I don’t mind… more excuses to eat squirrel food which I love -bring on the nuts, seeds, etc.

Those pancakes look ballin’ I’ve been baking like a crazy person this week! I think I’ve made 5 different recipes in 4 days. I don’t know what is with me lately, usually I’m not much of a baker!

I love steak salads! It’s been a long time since I’ve enjoyed one, but now that my mouth is watering over your pictures, I need to make the magic happen again soon. I bet avocado would be a delicious addition!

The potstickers remind me of high school! My mom always stocked out fridge with “emergency snacks”—quick mini meals that my brother and I could grab after school, before we headed off to sports practice. Potstickers were my absolute favorite (I think she usually bought them at Costco)!

I’ve been swamped with summer session school work the past few weeks, so I’ve had zero time to spend in the kitchen. It makes me sad, because it’s my favorite indoor place to be! I’ll make up for it once I’m done in June and have a two month break. Until then, it’s lots of quick salads, microwaved sweet potatoes and spoonfulls of peanut butter (of course). ;)

Your breakfast looks SO gourmet! I am amazed how you can make suh simple things as a slice of bread with PB look so gorgeous,really…
    I’ve re-discovered my love for OATMEAL lately. My new project is creating a new flavor every day. Let’s see how it goes… :P