Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia!

So remember that big two pound bag of chia seed I talked about on Thursday?

IMG_2024

Since then (and even before that), I’ve received several questions about what chia seed is, where to buy it, and how to use it.  Ever since I discovered chia seed a few months ago, I’ve been a huge fan.

Let’s talk about the what, the where, and the how!

• What is chia seed?

“Chia is an edible seed that comes from the desert plant Salvia hispanica, a member of the mint family that grows abundantly in southern Mexico.” [source]

Chia seed has been considered one of the newest “super foods” for its excellent nutritional benefits.  It is packed with omega-3s, rich in fiber, and high in antioxidants.

• Where can I buy chia seed?

I haven’t been able to find it in our local grocery store yet (I live in a smaller town though), so I usually buy it from Sunflower Market or Whole Foods.  You can also buy it online.

• How do I use chia seed?

Be creative!  You can use chia seed in anyway you can think of.  Some of my favorite ways to use chia seed is in my overnight oats, smoothies, hot oatmeal, breads and muffins, yogurt, cereal, and on toast.

IMG_1945

Here is a quick rundown of the nutritional stats for one tablespoon of chia seed:

• 68 calories
  • Total Fat: 4.5 grams
  • Saturated Fat: <1 gram
  • Trans Fat: 0 grams
  • Cholesterol: 0 grams
  • Sodium: 2.5 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 6 grams
  • Dietary Fiber: 5.5 grams
  • Sugar: 0 grams
  • Protein 2 grams

Not bad, eh?  Now go enjoy some of that ch-ch-ch-chia! Winking smile

• What are some of your favorite ways to use chia seed?
  • What are you up to today?

Comments

I have been using chia in my oatmeal or protein smoothies mostly. I plan on starting to make puddings and such soon. Looking for new ideas.

2. lauren says

love! love! love! chia seeds! i got mine at vitamin shoppe. they are great on yougurt, toast & salad. i even tried them in my omelette this morning. :)

3. Tracey L. says

Am I the only one that gets an upset tummy when I eat chia seeds? I’ve noticed that as well with my omega-3 supplements so perhaps it’s the omega-3 in them that is the problem. Has anyone else experienced this? I can’t eat chia seeds which is a bummer b/c I love them in yogurt and overnight oats.

• says

Well I am brand new to them (today) so I will get back to you – usually if something has chance of making one sick it is going to happen to me.

The only thought I had is if you tend towards a low fiber diet. I don’t so I think they are going to be a blip on my bowel radar :) but have you tried starting under the 1 tablespoon serving size?

Chia is actually on my list of things to try. I think I am somewhat put off by the price, but I like the health benefits.

Today…not sure yet. :) But my quarter is over!

i put it off for a long time because of the price too, but since i only use a little at a time, it lasts quite awhile for me.

I like using chia seeds in my overnight oats because it gives it a nice thick texture and in my smoothies as well. I have never thought to use it on toast, or in cereal or hot oatmeal. I may have to give it a try soon!!
    I always buy my chia seeds at Sprouts in the bulk bins. It is SOOOOO much cheaper that way. Like half the price.

i wish we had sprouts here! i haven’t seen them in bulk bins anywhere else around here, but that is a great idea!

That is an adorable picture of you! I absolutely love chia seeds. I can find them at Kroger now and at the Vitamin Shoppe (although I usually still buy them on amazon). I love to put them on salads or toast for extra crunch, and I LOVE them in my oats (overnight and hot) and smoothies. I like to make chia pudding as well.

I love chia seeds for the crunch they give my yogurt bowls, and all the fiber they have really fill me up for a while! My family and I went to TJ Maxx yesterday and saw some granola that had chia seeds– I was so excited that more mainstream, yet gourmet, foods were getting in on putting this superfood in their products! :D

I was very late to the chia seed craze, but I’m sure glad I finally hopped on the bandwagon! I usually use them in overnight oats, but I also enjoy chocolate-peanut butter chia pudding. :) And chia jam is on my “have to make” list! <3

i was pretty late to the chia seed craze too. and yes, i need to try out that chia jam too! i have yet to make it.

Love chia seeds! I just finished the book “Born to Run” and I don’t know if I notice their crazy energy boosting power like it describes in the book, but I do think they help a lot with digestion (sorry if that’s TMI!). I love having them on egg sandwiches or in overnight oats.

Hi Ashley! I am from Austria and Ive never seen chia seeds in a store here before! When I was in the US, I brought a package with me from Whole Foods and I am planning on ordering more online once I used them up! I found a great deal that ships them for free if you order a certain amount, how convenient! I think they’re expensive though, but everything for our health, right??? xx take care

I live in a small town and I was surprised to find that Walgreens carries chia seeds… though it can be a bit pricey. I typically just buy online.

I love to make chia seed pudding (add some chia seeds to almond milk and some maple syrup to sweeten… stir… leave in the fridge for a few hours/overnight… add more chia seeds if it needs thickening. I’ve also added matcha + stevia for my mother, since she prefers it to the original). I also like to add it on top of some chobani, honey and walnuts… or to oatmeal pb choc chip “energy bites,” and also to my stovetop oatmeal.

They look like little dinosaur eggs! Love them! :)