An Update + June Yoga Challenge Week 2 Recap

It is Friday!  Hallelujah!  I don’t know how that happened so quickly.  I swear this week has just flown by!

I have received quite a few questions lately about “how I am doing with everything” aka my struggles with Hypothalamic Amenorrhea (HA).  I am not going to go into every little detail here, because trust me, you wouldn’t want to hear about them.  Instead I’ll go through how things have changed within the past few months and how I’m currently feeling physically, mentally, and spiritually.  Ready?  Go!

Physically:

• I haven’t been weighing myself the last few months (SO freeing by the way!), but I’m guessing I’ve gained about 8-10 pounds based on how my clothes are fitting.  I gained most of the weight within the first few weeks of my lifestyle changes, and since then it has stabilized pretty well.
  • I’ve noticed most of my weight gain in my upper arms, badonkadonk, my “chest region”, and my hips aren’t lyin’ these days.  Fortunately these are all places that estrogen is commonly held, so I’m okay with that because estrogen is what my body needs right now.
  • I’m feeling a little more “squishy” thanks to the little to no strength training I’ve been doing for the past few months.  Yoga has helped my “tone-age” a little, but it’s nothing like I was doing before.
  • “Aunt Flow” has returned twice so far.  Woo hoo!  My second cycle was a little longer than average, but that is normal for a recovering “HA-er”.
  • I am still aiming to eat 2000-2200 calories per day and continuing to keep my exercise mostly to walking and yoga.

Mentally/Emotionally:

• I am currently feeling pretty good about things, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I have my hard days.
  • I really miss running and higher intensity workouts on a regular basis.
  • I feel content with how my body is right now because I know it’s a sacrifice I have to make for something so much better, but I don’t necessarily feel my best.
  • I get frustrated at times.  The whole “why me?!” thing goes through my head occasionally.
  • I am not nearly as stressed as I used to be.  Not having that pressure to eat so “perfectly” or get in a workout every day is so freeing.
  • I still worry at times if something else is going to go wrong, but that’s just my “worry wart” personality at work.
  • I have more fun and am more carefree.  My husband says that I’m in a better mood more often than I used to be, and it’s nice that I’m not stressing about that brownie I ate.

Spiritually:

• I have just been in awe of what God has been teaching me through this whole ordeal.
  • I would have never thought that I’d be “thankful” for going through this, but what I’m learning and how I’m changing through it has caused me to be thankful to God for giving me that wake up call.
  • God is (slowly but surely) teaching me patience and to trust in Him more than I ever have before.
  • God has given me the opportunity to reach out and help other women that are going through what I am, and that in itself has been a huge blessing.
  • I have built new friendships with other women that I can relate to who are full of support, encouragement, and love.

I’m sure there’s more I could add to these lists, but I think that’s the jist of it.  These last few months have certainly been rough, but I wouldn’t ever take them back.  As I’ve said, what I’ve learned about myself and the women that I have connected with through this ordeal has been such a blessing.  I’m just continuing to press on and hope for the best!  (Also, I plan on making a “Hypothalamic Amenorrhea” tab/page in the near future to serve as a central place to see all my posts regarding the issue.  Be on the look out for it!)

June Yoga Challenge – Week 2 Recap

Now that we have that all covered, let’s recap my second week in the June Yoga Challenge!

Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life

I didn’t do as well this week as I had hoped.  Like I said at the beginning of this post, this week just flew right by me.  Before I know it, here we are and it’s Friday when we’re supposed to be recapping how we did with our yoga challenge.

Goal:

• Do yoga three times per week.

Actual:

As you can see, I only got in yoga twice this past week rather than three times like I had hoped.  I do plan to get in a yoga session today, so I suppose that could count for three?!

I always love how I feel after a yoga session.  Whether I do yoga for 15 or 60 minutes, my body feels relaxed, less tense, and not as tight.  It really does do wonders mentally and physically!

Alright I’m leaving you with that.  My apologies for the wordy post, but hopefully it answered some of your questions!  I hope you have a wonderful day and a great weekend!

Comments

Good for you! You are a inspiration for sure. It is rough, I have my hard/bad days too. But I just keep reminding myself what it is for :) I finally weighed myself for the first time in about 6 weeks, and am up 5lbs, it was hard at first but then I realized that without seeing that I am not sure I would have even guessed I gained that weight by looking in the mirror. Sure a couple pairs of my skinniest pants are tight but that can be after drinking water they are tight!

wow, I am so amazed by your strength and honesty! You are a true super star and I am so glad your body has welcomed in this healthy part of you. I think the changes you are seeing are actually womanly and exactly what your body needs. Amazing, stay strong lovely!

I love how you addressed how you’re feeling on different levels. Changing a lifestyle, diet, and/or exercise plan affects so much more than just our physical body. You really hit the nail on the head!

I’m happy to hear that things are starting to get better for you!

Have a great weekend!

Thank you so much for your willingness to open up and share about something so private. You’re such an inspiration for so many women–I know I truly admire you and have enjoyed following your daily journey! Continue to stay strong, girl!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

I really appreciate your openness during all of this. As someone who has had to live with uterus related issues for a long time I am keenly aware of how emotional it can all be. And from the bottom of my heart I am thinking nothing but positive thoughts for you because I know that you really desire a healthy fertility outcome.

It will be interesting to see how you take what you have learned from this. This may ultimately be your ideal balance.

Again, thank you. I can only imagine how hard some of this is, and yet you are also setting some excellent examples for body health.

I clicked over to your post that explains what HA is, and I just have to thank you for introducing me to this condition. I have a couple friends who I think should talk to their doctors about it, and I’m surprised it’s not more well known. Thanks for raising awareness!

You must have read my mind because after I emailed you this morning…then I saw your post :) I’m so glad you have more positives from all of these struggles than negatives (although I know how huge the negatives are and can be…) you are truly an inspiration and I would have NEVER been where I am today without your help and guidance!! If you didn’t write that article about HA back in April, I would have never ever been where I am today. So thank you :) You are an amazing person and such a positive influence in my life!

thank you mallory! i got your email, and i still plan to write you back in the next couple days. sorry it hasn’t been sooner – the last few days have been crazy busy! :) xoxo

I’M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! I know that while you still may not feel your “best”, I think it’s great that you’ve noticed how much less stressed you are and that you are more fun and carefree! That’s amazing! I’m so thankful that you mentioned this stuff on your blog because it definitely got me to evaluate my own workouts and realize that I was pushing myself too hard. Hope you have a great time at camp this weekend! Love u!!

9. Whitney L says

I just wanted to commend you on your journey – it certainly isn’t easy. I went through something very similar, and was eventually referred to a fertility specialist who denied that my lack of ovulation could have anything to do with my weight (which was about 15 lbs. too low) or history of restrictive eating/overexercising. Leading up to this “diagnosis”, I had tried to do what you are doing – work out less, eat more. It was SUCH a struggle for me, and I wish that I pushed through that discomfort more. I ended up pregnant after four months of Clomid and finally an HCG-trigger shot – never once getting my period naturally. Pregnancy has been absolutely amazing – but again – a struggle for someone recovering from these conditions. I am 3 weeks away from having this baby, and I couldn’t be happier or more excited. But I wish I had worked on myself – just like you are doing – to physically, mentally, and spiritually get to a healthier space to enjoy every pound, every change, and every comment that has come with this amazing experience. The hard work you are putting in now will pay off in ways that you never could have imagined! Best of luck to you!

thank you for sharing your story with me whitney! i appreciate your encouragement and support. congratulations to you on your pregnancy! i’m so excited for you!

So glad that you have been so successful with your new food and exercise plan – the fact that it’s so freeing for you tells me that you are in such a great/happy place! Go you! Awesome job on the yoga challenge too!

If your body has stablized and you are in a better mood all around I would say this should be your “happy place weight”. You are still fit, in shape, and even healthier! And you will have the rest of your life after having babies to get in whatever shape you want. Kids sure do take sacrafice, even before conception!

haha i just went on a hike this morning, and i definitely wouldn’t say i’m “in shape”, but thanks. ;) it’ll come back again!

heeey ashley!!!
    how long did it take for your cycle to return again and how long was it missing?? I am struggling with the same issue I think, and I am so sooo worried :(
    I am a medical student, so I am pretty much stressing all the time, Im not underweight or anything but still I havent been paid a visit by Aunt Flow (haha) since January. I am so desperate. Please help!

hi doris! i was away this weekend, so my apologies for not responding right away. i was on birth control for about 5 years, which i initially went on because i lost my period. i would guess that if i wasn’t on birth control that i wouldn’t have had my period for that entire time. it took me about a month to get my period back after the lifestyle changes i made, but that can vary greatly from woman to woman. feel free to email me!

I’m glad you’re feeling better and are happier!

I know how you feel about the weight gain though, after my problems this semester I’ve put on about the same amount of weight (despite still working out…) and got so frustrated this morning when several clothing items i tried on for work didn’t fit. But I’m reminding myself to be patient and not to go on any crazy diets, just get back to normal eating!

Your honesty and positive attitude are totally inspiring! This must be a real trial, trying to adjust to all the changes, but sounds like you are staying grounded and finding the silver linings. And it’s great that you are exploring other, more lower impact ways to exercise!

Beautiful, beautiful post girl…I echo every.single.word. Life is SO much better now and so very freeing. At times I have my hard days too and the “why me?” days…especially when I see girls thinner than me and running and get pregnant! But I know we were put on this journey for a reason :) Love ya girl…xo

oh girl, i know how much you can relate to me, and i don’t know what i would’ve done without you through this! love you too!

I am SO happy to hear things are looking and the upside!! And that you are keeping up with these positive changes! It is so awesome that you have realized all these things about your body, and the issues with exercise intensity. This is something I still struggle with, and helps me to realize I am still overdoing it when I’m trying to fix my body at the moment!

Yey! I was wondering about how you’ve been doing as of late with this, and I’m glad to hear that everything is on target. You have been SUCH a blessing for me during my journey as well, and I can’t thank you enough for being so open! Love ya girl!

Thank you for this update Ashley, you continue to help me out through this just buy writing about it! I appreciate it so so much and while I am reallyyyy struggling with body image BS lately, I know I am doing what I need to do …. with the goals that I have in mind.

Wow, all of this is super interesting. Thank you for posting it and being incredibly honest. Congratulations on all the progress you’ve made and hang in there on the hard days! You’ve motivated me to go to the doctor and seek help for myself…looks like I also have h.a. Hopefully this will all bring some clarity!
    Thanks again :)