WIAW #40: New-To-Me Recipes

Holy moly!  I can’t believe we are already on week #40 of What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW) over here at My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries!

Peas and Crayons

Yesterday was a really good day of eats.  The last few weeks my appetite was just “off”, so it’s been nice to have it back this week.  I found myself feeling adventurous in the kitchen yesterday, so I set out to find some new-to-me recipes.  The results were incredible!

breakfast

Nothing new here, but I do have to say that my overnight oats were extra good yesterday.  All of the ingredients just complemented one another so well.

Into my almost empty nut butter jar went:

• 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 tablespoon chia seed

I set it in the fridge over night and added a few drops of NuNaturals Vanilla Liquid Stevia and a handful of blueberries to it in the morning.

IMG_2098

mid morning snack

I polished off the last of our Coconut Banana Blueberry Muffins and topped it with about a tablespoon of Justin’s Vanilla Almond Butter.  Once again, I just loooove this stuff!

lunch

Lunch totally satisfied the craving I have been having for weeks now.  Ever since the temperature has been warmer, I have been craving a turkey sandwich with fresh veggies and avocado on it like no other.  I finally remembered to pick up some turkey at the store on Monday and put it to use to make an amazing sandwich for lunch yesterday.  On a toasted whole wheat english muffin, I added brown spicy mustard, turkey, avocado, spinach, and a slice of tomato.  Ohhh man, SO GOOD!  I also had some baby carrots on the side.

I was feeling something more after this, so I dug into the bag of Trader Joe’s dried green beans that Chelsey sent me.  I was hesitant when I first tried these the other day, but now I can’t keep my hands out of the bag!  These things are seriously so good.

mid afternoon snack

Yesterday morning I made a batch of Chelsey’s Almond Flour Banana Blueberry Muffins to take along with us on our camping trip this weekend.  Of course I had to try one of these babies out.  Verdict?  Amazing!  Add some almond butter on there too, and it’s even better.  (I added some after I snapped the photo.)  I also had a few big gulps of milk.  Yep, right out of the gallon.  Don’t judge. Winking smile

dinner

I decided as I was meal planning for the week that I wanted to include Courtney’s Cheesy Crab & Shrimp Shells to the menu.  We had it last night, and it was definitely a winner in the Wiseman household.  DELICIOUS!  I had the below bowl plus another bowl that was about half full.

evening snack

I’ve really been wanting to try this banana soft serve I’ve been seeing around the blog world, but I always forget about it when the time comes.  Last night I finally put one of my frozen bananas to use!

In my food processor I added:

• 1 frozen ripe banana
  • scoop of peanut butter
  • 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder

Blend it together until it gets to be a creamy consistency and DIG IN!  You can get pretty creative and add other stuff into it too.  Wow – I have a feeling this is going to be a regular thing around here this summer!

• Have you tried any new recipes lately?
  • What kinds of foods do you crave during the summer months?

Comments

Glad that you liked the banana soft-serve! :) It’s definitely not a replacement for ice cream, but it’s just another yummy treat!

I’ve been craving LOTS of fruit and ice cream/frozen yogurt this summer! But honestly, I think summer is just my excuse to eat even MORE ice cream! ;)

oh i definitely agree – the soft serve is no ice cream, but sure is a great treat for summer time! and yes, i’ll take any excuse i can to eat more ice cream. ;)

wow hun! You have made/tried so many new things lately :) How exciting!!!

This morning I am making a new breakfast! I am excited!

Those dried green beans sound like something I could get addicted to!

I think I try at least one new recipe per week. The hubs complains that he can never remember what he likes since we’re always having something new. haha

I’ve been wanting to try banana soft serve, but to be honest, I’m too lazy to clean the food processor for just one bit of soft serve. I know… it’s pitiful.

All your eats look delicious!

In the summer, I crave fruits.. melons particularly! I also want more water! I crave all other drinks less :)

New recipes lately? Well.. new to me.. I made my own almond butter yesterday with my food processor :)

I tried banana soft serve for the first time a couple of weeks back and I’m officially hooked. I’m loving chocolate chips stirred through. Smoothies all the way for the summer not that it’s particularly warm in Ireland at the moment.

I love banana soft serve, it is a summer staple in our house!
    I tried zucchini noddles last night for the first time an loved them. I have also started using coconut milk ice cubes in my smoothies, soo yummy :)
    Two words – salads and smoothies!

green bean chips surprised me too, they’re delicious and seem to have the perfect crunch. At a bulk store here you can buy vegetable ‘chips’ which include yams, carrots, green beans, plantains and one other kind which I forget. SO good!

I just bought some of the Almond, Peanut, and Cashew Butter! Did you find that the oil wouldn’t mix in well at first? I had to stir it in a larger bowl to get everything well combined (I hate getting to the dry nut butter at the bottom of the container)

Mmmm that all looks quite tasty! I like to make my banana soft serve with a little coconut extract – so good. At our farmers market, their is a section of dried goods like green beans, okra, wasabi peas, etc. The green beans and okra are delicious!

I’ve been making my milkshake smoothies on a really consistent basis all summer and also eating lots of frozen treats (my new favorites are frozen greek yogurt bars). Of course, I’m also eating a TON of fresh veggies from our garden!

Have fun camping! Oh, and I drink straight from the carton too.;)

I love trying new recipes too. Most recently I made an oatmeal raisin cookie granola that was absolutely delicious. I’ve been craving a turkey sandwich like no other also! Toasted with pickles and mustard. I need to remember some turkey next time I’m at the grocery store.

I still haven’t tried banana soft-serve, because I’m definitely not convinced it would fill me up! Overnight oats are always a win in my books. Those dried green beans sound amazing! I love green beans, especially when they’re roasted.

adding the protein powder and peanut butter helped, and i didn’t need much since it was just a snack!

I just love banana soft serve in the summer–it is a great treat when you just need something after dinner!

I haven’t tried those green beans but I’ve tried the dried peas and like them! I’ll have to give the beans a whirl!

13. Keely says

Can I come hang out at your house?? Haha, everything looks delish – what kind of Greek yogurt are you using in your oats? I also MUST try this banana soft serve… looks addicting!

Mmm I want to try that version of banana soft serve! A great way to end the night and how convenient I have two frozen bananas in the freezer as we speak ;) Any oatmeal concoction in a near-empty nut butter jar is always a win! Great day of eats as always Ashley!

I just wrote about chocolate protein powder on my blog asking for recommendations so I’m so glad that you mentioned it today! What kind do you use? I’ve never tried protein powder but would like to use it after my workouts!

i’ve been loving smoothies in a bowl lately – can’t get enough of that creamy, cool, protein-filled goodness! and no shame re: drinking out of the carton – i don’t even own glasses! (kidding, of course … kind of!) :)