June Yoga Challenge Closing Thoughts

Well my friends, we just finished the last official week of the June Yoga Challenge!  Where did the time go?!

Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life

Let’s first take a look at how I did this past week:

• Goal: Do yoga three times per week
  • Actual:  I only ended up doing yoga twice this week.  No excuses here, I just didn’t get to it as much as I would have liked.  One yoga session was a 20 minute yoga video on Hulu, and the other one was a 45 minute gentle yoga video I found on Netflix.

I first just want to say how glad I am that Courtney started this challenge and that I decided to get involved.  It’s been so good for me to challenge my mind and body in new ways!  Yoga is one of those things that I often put on the back burner, and this challenge helped me make it more of a priority.

Pinned Image[source]

This challenge also helped me realize even more how much I actually do enjoy yoga when I go into it with the right attitude and mindset.  I definitely believe having the right attitude and mindset going into it is what makes all the difference.  When I used to try yoga, I always went into it with a negative attitude and more of a “I have to do this” kind of mentality.  Of course I left not liking it!  Now I remind myself of all the positive benefits that yoga leaves me with, and I leave my yoga sessions feeling relaxed, less tense, and happy!

Pinned Image[source]

I did learn from this challenge that doing yoga three times per week might be a little too much for me.  I think twice a week is perfect for me – that way I can still get in some quality walks without feeling overwhelmed.

Thank you, Courtney, for hosting this fun little yoga challenge!  I would encourage those of you that haven’t tried yoga to give it a shot!  And those of you that have had negative experiences with it in the past, I challenge you to give it another chance while going into with more of a positive mindset.  I promise that attitude shift makes a world of a difference!

• Did you take the June Yoga Challenge?  How did it go?
  • Are you a yoga fan?  Why or why not?

Comments

I did, my goal was 2 times a week which I did up until this week when my body needed a break. I usually do in the mornings before work but opted for the extra sleep or relax time. I am going to get in one session this morning since I have the day off.
    I have not really gotten into yoga, I like at home faster moving yoga DVDs like Yoga Meltdown, and used to go to Bikram Yoga but it got to expensive and time consuming – 90 min class, going 30 mins early, and the commute made is a 2.5 hour venture!

I REALLY need to get yoga into my routine! I can already feel injuries coming on and I know it will help so much! I just don’t have the patience… I need to find some good 20 min videos, that I can handle.

I did the challenge and loved it. While I’m not a yogi or even close to one I’m glad I’ve tried it and will continue to do it.

I’m fully with you on the attitude. And you have to do it for yourself. No one else.

Great post!

I got bored with Yoga but I do enjoy Pilates. June was a heavy mileage goal for me that I ended up for exceeding…original goal was 200 miles and I ran 250. I will tone it back a bit in July but I kind of got obsessed this month, lol. Love that quote!

pilates is great too! and holy moly on that mileage! i’m sure your body needs some down time this month. :)

5. Becky Przy says

I didn’t do the yoga challenge–but it did motivate me to start my yoga back up. I am aiming for 2x/week. What yoga video did you do from Netflix? Did you like it? I am always looking for more options! Need to fill that que up.

the netflix yoga video i did was crunch’s candelight yoga… it was a very gentle routine that always helps me relax and de-stress.

It has been great to follow you on this because you weren’t necessary a yoga devotee. It made me check out the occasional video on that site which was also good for me. Thank yo for sharing this!

Great job on the yoga challenge! You definitely have to listen to your body and do what works for you. I need to incorporate more yoga or pilates into my workout routine. Sometimes your body really needs a low impact workout and a good stretch!

I love that you talked about having the right mindset and attitude….MUST get that for yoga to work for me ;) (I am too jumpy and such, Haha). But I know I need some more yoga & stretching. But WHEN?! hah ;)

Hope you’re having fun!

haha seriously woman, when?! is a great question for you. hopefully after your ironman training is over you can swap that out for some yoga? i’m sure your body will appreciate it tremendously!

I’m so glad the challenge went so well for you and that you’re liking your yoga practice now. I definitely am still trying to get more into the practice, but I definitely agree it lies in my mindset.

I know you said you do videos and downloads? Any suggestions on good downloads that are shorter, in like 30 minutes or less for hips?

Hey Girl!

I loved following your progress with the yoga challenge (I also took it. I’m an aspiring yoga instructor, so this gave me the chance to get creative with it).

I’ve been following your blog a while now and I absolutely think you’re adorable.

I completely know what you mean. I used to do yoga every day, but since getting into other forms of exercise, it has taken back burner. Which, is horrid. This week, I actually feel the affects of yoga on my body again.

Awesome work girl.

thanks so much caitlyn! good luck to you on your goals to be a yoga instructor – i’m sure you’ll rock at it! :)

I loved the june yoga challenge and it couldn’t have come at a better time for me. I’m out in California getting my yoga teacher certification so I have been yoga-ed out for the last 2 weeks! 2 more weeks and then I’ll be ready to teach!