I realize I’m a little late to the game today, but at least I made it, right? I’m blaming it on the fact that I fell asleep at 7:30 PM last night and then had to substitute teach early this morning. I feel like those are pretty legit excuses if I do say so myself.
So here we are today at what marks 9 weeks into my pregnancy! If the rest of pregnancy flies by like the last month has, there’s going to be a baby here before I know it. Eeek!
[Yes, I am as tired as I look!]
Although I am incredibly excited to be pregnant, I have to be honest and say the last few weeks have been a little rough. Between the morning sickness, fatigue, and crazy emotions, I feel like a slight nutcase and not quite myself some days. Thank goodness I have a patient husband. He seriously has been SO good to me through the last few weeks. He lets me sleep my life away, doesn’t complain about the fact that I’ve barely stepped foot in the kitchen, and just hugs me when I cry over every little thing.
Now that I feel like I have a little bit better handle on the morning sickness, I’ve made a goal for myself this week to make dinner three times. Not because I feel any pressure to do so, but because I like being able to make Cody dinner after his long work days. It’s something I’ve always enjoyed doing for him. I also want to focus on eating something other than plain oatmeal or toast for my dinners as well. The baby needs some protein and extra nutrients, so that’s what I’m trying my best to work on at the moment.
Speaking of eating, I’ve already run into quite a few cravings and aversions. The cravings are often times spontaneous, and the aversions are more constant. I’ve heard these can change over the course of pregnancy, so we’ll see what happens!
- LOTS of Mexican food – i.e. chips & salsa, Chipotle, burritos, etc. (I’m thinking it’s the salt!)
- Ice water – I’ve been drinking it nonstop. It HAS to have ice in it though!
- Orange juice
- Oatmeal – I only like it plain though with a light sprinkle of brown sugar and some milk.
- Cereal – I’ve gone through more boxes of cereal the last few weeks than I have this whole year so far. The cereal can’t be super sweet either.
- Sour Patch Kids – These taste good to me when I’m feeling really nauseous. For whatever reason, they help the nausea fade a bit.
- Mashed potatoes
- Vegetables – I can barely stand to look at any type of vegetable. I hope this changes soon!
- Peanut butter – Can you believe it?! I can get it down if it’s mixed into things, but don’t even ask me to eat a spoonful of it. Bleck!
- Smoothies – From weeks 6-7 (when the morning sickness started), I actually enjoyed them, but that’s certainly changed within the past couple weeks.
- Greek yogurt – The tartness turns me off.
- Bananas – Ugh, gag me.
These lists seem to constantly be changing, but I’ve noticed they’ve stayed pretty consistent within the past couple weeks. They say that after the first trimester, the morning sickness usually fades and some of the foods you used to love will be okay to eat again. I’m hoping this is the case with at least vegetables so I can continue to get more nutrients in for the baby. Lately I’ve been relying on fruit, whole grains, milk, and my prenatal vitamin to give me my nutrients, but I hope to get more from veggies soon enough!