WIAW #51: Making A Comeback

Well my friends, I think my taste buds are officially making a comeback! Slowly but surely, some of my favorites are tasting good to me again. Don’t ask me to eat broccoli or a spoonful of peanut butter quite yet, but we’re making progress folks. Winking smile

Peas and Crayons

Below are my eats from yesterday (Tuesday) that actually look fairly normal despite the lack of veggies and the smaller “meals”. I’ve noticed that not only do I need to eat more often to keep my morning sickness away, but I also get full pretty easily. Hence the small “meals”…

meal #1

Meal #1 aka breakfast was half bran flakes and half Grape Nuts sprinkled with chia seed and topped with sliced strawberries all covered in milk. This has pretty much been my “go-to” breakfast the last couple weeks – easy to prepare, healthy, and delicious.

meal #2

I had a slice of wheat toast topped with a thin smear of peanut butter (gasp!) and strawberry preserves. I wanted to try a little peanut butter for the extra protein and fats, and I did pretty good with it since I disguised it with strawberry preserves.

IMG_0833[Ugh, terrible photo! Just lazy – no other excuses!]

meal #3

Roasted sweet potatoes with a chickpea burger all dipped in ketchup. This has been a favorite of mine recently (hence the recycled photo).

Embedded image permalink

meal #4

I realized I needed some more protein, so a couple hours later I grabbed a Simply Bar from the box that they generously sent me to try out! I wasn’t sure how I would like the Cocoa Raspberry considering I’ve never been much of a fan of the fruit + chocolate thing. This flavor wasn’t my favorite but I still enjoyed it! I am loving The Simply Bar as a whole so far though. A few of their flavors I’ve fallen in love with, and I fully support what their company is all about.

drink break

Of course I wouldn’t call this a “meal”, but I had to include it! I had to go run a few errands for the birthday boy (my hubby’s birthday is on Friday), so I stopped and treated myself to a Starbucks Decaf Iced Americano with skim milk and one pump of pumpkin spice. It hit the spot!

sbucks

meal #5

I bought a new-to-me brand of almond butter, Kettle Brand, I found while at the grocery store picking up a few other things. It was fairly inexpensive, and for whatever reason almond butter sounded good to me. I had a couple scoops when I got home and loved it!

meal #6

Apparently my pumpkin spiced drink from Starbucks sparked a pumpkin desire in me for the rest of the night… I did breakfast for dinner and made it simple with waffles, but not just any waffles – pumpkin waffles of course! I topped mine with some almond butter and a drizzle of maple syrup. It tasted great, but my tummy wasn’t so happy afterward. Who knows why. It has a mind of its own these days.

meal #7

This next “meal” also revolved around pumpkin. Are you surprised? I know I needed something protein filled but was feeling something “carb-y”, so I went with STUFT Mama’s Protein Packed Pumpkin Muffin topped with some more almond butter. (I’m tellin’ ya, this stuff is good!) I only got about 1/3 way through it before calling it quits though. It tasted good, but I got full super easily and was ready to be done.

Soon after that, I hit the hay! I’m happy I’ve been able to incorporate more foods into my diet the last few days. Slowly but surely my taste buds are making a comeback!

• What is your favorite drink to get at Starbucks?
  • Ever tried The Simply Bar products?
  • Have you gotten into a pumpkin kick yet?

Comments

I like the Kettle brand almond butter too! That was the first kind I ever got way back in the day! lol.. I have been loving me some pumpkin lately too. I’m so glad that you are able to eat more foods!! Isn’t the Simply Bar so incredibly good?? I love the chocolate pb! I am going through withdrawals without any bars in the house!

My neighbourhood bulk health food store carries THE best almond butter. And it’s totally inexpensive. Picking up pumpkin for the first time this season today!! There are SOOO many recipes that I want to try! Still trying to find a favourite Starbucks drink, but a decaf soy pumpking spiced latte is sounding pretty fabulous right about now! :)
    Glad your stomach is feeling better! And the little prune (prune-sized this week right??) is going to thank you for the healthy choices for sure!

3. Natalie Mino says

Im so glad your taste buds are returning already! Yay! I love the simply bar. I bought a box a couple weeks ago at a gluten free expo which had a variety of flavors and I love them. They are actually a staple in my purse now so when I get low blood sugar a can grab a couple bites of this bar, life saver!! I love the chocolate peanut butter kind. And I must say you have a nice variety of food for having morning sickness, despite lack of veggies but that will come back :)

I love all the pumpkin in here! Those waffles look amazing and I’m going to look up stuft mamas muffin now! Pumpkin coffee has a been a staple for me this week! Glad to hear you’re starting to feel a bit better!

Yes I am ready for pumpkin stuff! wOOt Favorite Starbucks drink is nonfat venti latte with two raw sugars. Have not tried simply bar products but I will look for them on my grocery shelf. Have a great day.

I bet you never would have imagined barely being able to choke down peanut butter! It’s so crazy what our bodies do! I’ve actually never tried the Simply Bar but i’m a bar-fanatic so I’ll have to get on that.
    Meal #3 looks soooo good to me right now…at 8:30am. ;-)

Pumpkin EVERYTHING!

Pumpkin Pancakes, Pumpkin Whole Wheat Bran Muffins, Pumpkin Greek Yogurt w/Cinnamon Roasted Almonds…..I put it on my toast w/cinnamon….it’s good on everything! I really want to make a savory dish with it though.

I haven’t had much pumpkin yet, but I will be having some tonight :) I’m still in a zucchini phase as clearly shown in my WIAW ;) but I’m ready to trade the zucchs for pumpkin and embrace fall ;) I love your food ideas, meal # 7 sounds nice! Have to try that some time. Love, Leanne

I am happy to hear that you appetite is slowly coming back. I remember when I was pregnant with my daughter, most of my favorite foods seemed gross to me until the start of the 2nd trimester. My husband was worried when I turned down chocolate — but I made up for it later. :-)

If it’s summer, then I am ordering an iced coffee at Starbucsk. If it’s fall/winter, I am sipping a White Chocolate Mocha. Of course, the closest Starbucks is 30 mins away, so I do not get to indulge to often.

Yay for you finally having some appetite!
    You know I’m loving all the pumpkin you have going on in here! I’m definitely on the kick, already getting started on my Fall bucket list:)
    My favourite drink is just a black Americano, I’m boring.

Congrats on getting some of the hunger & tastebuds back! I’m fully on the pumpkin train. Once the temps dipped out of the 80′s here in the Midwest, pumpkin was fair game. I’ve been enjoying a black drip coffee with a shot of pumpkin syrup from SBux, delightful!

Umm that waffle looks pretty delicious Ashley, I really need myself a waffle maker! No room in my house for it as of now, but in time once I have my own place, that is among the first appliances that will be stocked :) Yay for peanut butter coming back (at least a tad), we cannot live without its tasty perfection status!

Ooh! I’m glad to hear that you’re able to enjoy some of your favorite foods! “thin smear of pb…gasp” puahhahah! You had me laughing so hard ;). I am very surprised indeed, my fellow nut butter lover ;).
    I’m totally on a pumpkin kick! And its still 100 degrees outside. Oh wells…just hope I won’t turn orange. Pumpkin and sweet potatoes have made their appearances in every single meal these last five days. And I LOVE TSB also! My fav flavor is the lemon coconut!