Week 12: A Fit Pregnancy

Today, my friends, is a big day! We get to hear our little babe’s heartbeat (God willing!), and I am beyond thrilled. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous though. I just hope and pray that our little guy/gal is happy as a clam in there and that everything goes well.

Today also officially marks 12 weeks! Baby is the size of a large plum! It’s growing like a little weed in there!

Having a fit pregnancy is something that I’ve always hoped for long before I even seriously started thinking about getting pregnant. Fitness and being in shape has been a huge part of my life for quite some time, and I wanted to make it a priority throughout my pregnancies as well.

Unfortunately, having to cut way back on exercise at the beginning of the spring caused me to lose my stamina, quite a bit of my muscle tone, and got me out of “running shape” pretty quickly. As much as it was totally worth it to me, I still have days that I wish I could be one of those pregnant runners or that I didn’t have to gain extra weight to even get pregnant in the first place. However, I need to remember that every woman and every pregnancy is so different that I can’t go around comparing myself to others. I have to do what is best for my baby and me.

I had it set in my head years ago that I was going to be one of those pregnant women that was just as active as I was before, run like there was no tomorrow, and only gain weight in my stomach. Ha! I’ve already had quite the reality check as none of these are true at all.

Even though things may not be exactly how I had hoped or envisioned, I am still making exercise a priority in my life throughout pregnancy. I’m not running 20 miles per week, I have some extra flab on me that wasn’t there before, and I’m not doing a ton of high intensity workouts, but that doesn’t mean I’m not having a fit pregnancy. It’s at a much lower level than what I was doing several months ago, but it’s still exercise and I’m proud of that.

The last week or so, I’ve finally been noticing my energy levels increasing – slowly but surely. There’s definitely days that I still find myself exhausted, but there are more days than before that I actually feel like myself again. Saturday, for example, I had this huge burning desire to run! I laced up my running shoes, put on my shrinking running shorts, tied my hair back, and went down to my beloved treadmill. I had no idea how it would go as I have not done much running at all since March. I put together the below interval workout to help me ease back into things.

backtoit

At first I thought it wouldn’t be any big thing, but boy was I wrong! I feel like I’m right back at square one when it comes to running. Even though this workout was a challenge for me, I was proud to be back on the treadmill running and sweating like the good ol’ days. I obviously don’t intend to get back into my “running shape” while pregnant, but I do hope to do some easy runs/jogs throughout my second trimester. I just love the feeling of a good sweat after an awesome run and would love to incorporate some running into my fitness routine now that my energy levels are coming back.

I’m hoping my weeks will look something like this:

• Run: 1-2 days per week
  • Weights/strength training: 2 days per week
  • Yoga: 1 day per week
  • Rest: 2-3 days per week

The above is simply a guideline for myself – nothing set in stone. Regular walks will be thrown in there too! Of course my main goal is listen to my body while still trying to remain as active as I can without overdoing it.

Cheers to a healthy and FIT pregnancy! Winking smile

Itty Bitty Details

Total weight gain: 1 pound (same as last week)

Baby is the size of a: PLUM!

Days I’ve stayed up past 9 PM this past week: 3! Making progress!

Food that is back in my life: Peanut butter! Woo hoo!

Can’t stop eating: Peanut butter, banana, chia, & honey on toast

Days until 2nd trimester: Depends who you ask… 7 days until Week 13 and 14 days until Week 14 (for whatever reason, it varies)

Comments

Good luck at the doctor’s appointment! Praying for a healthy baby and a healthy heartbeat :)

I have the same (unrealistic) goal of a pregnancy one day too…just a baby bump and nothing more! HA yea right, I am sure that will not be me! Looks like you had a great workout to ease back into a routine, must feel great to be running again!

I think I missed you… :( I hope we can chat soon! I’ve been kind of busy with subbing lately, so hopefully soon! Everything went perfect though! xoxo

Don’t feel down about having to ease back and not being able to run. It is the best thing for you and baby. I was put on bed rest the last 3 months of my pregnancy. It was hard. But in the scheme of things a tiny trade off for my healthy girls.

I STILL haven’t started doing yoga yet. I’m pretty much screwed haha. I saw one at WF the other day and I shoulda just bought it. I don’t know what I’m thinking, but I need to get my act together. I’m sure once you’re in the second trimester you’ll start running lots again! I honestly didn’t really run in the first trimester either just because I was taking hard summer courses at school, but ended up running more miles in the second trimester than I normally did before I was pregnant! But now I’m officially not running because of changing hips. Not to discourage you – I hope nothing like that happens to you!!

Enjoy listening to the heartbeat! My hubby can actually hear the baby’s heartbeat through my stomach if he and the baby are positioned right. Quite remarkable!!

Yeah we’ll see how it goes! I’m just going to take it week by week. This weekend I thought I was for sure getting my energy levels back, but then the last few days I’ve been exhausted. So much for that! That is awesome your husband can hear the heartbeat! We’ll have to try that down the road. :)

Saying a little prayer for you that everything goes well with your little plum today! And I just have to say that you have such an amazing outlook regarding your pregnancy and changing body. I think it’s great that you’re going to try to stay fit during these upcoming months, because I’ve heard that it even makes the whole birth process a lot easier.

I always figured I would blow up during my pregnancies but quite the opposite happened. Ir really is interesting to see how everyone responds so differently to pregnancy!

Is this the first time you will hear the heartbeat? It is such a magical moment, hearing that sounds and knowing there is life inside you. I am getting all emotional just thinking about it…and it kind of makes me want to go for number three!!

Good luck today! And good for you on staying active during this time, I know so many people that let it slide and it will only help your pregnancy and give you one healthy babe :)

Good luck today girl. Can’t wait to hear all about it <3.

I'm so glad you are figuring out what works for you, and continuing to stay active in ways that your body allows you too. You are beautiful, and if you gain a couple extra lbs.. so be it, it's all part of pregnancy & what your baby craves.

Oh my off days certainly do get the best of me at times, but I remind myself that each day is a new one so I have to make the best of the good days! ;)

Wow, your honesty in this is amazing. I’m sure most healthy living bloggers, and most healthy people outside of the blog world, probably always envision themselves in a healthy pregnancy, where nothing changes and they carry on like they always have. Good luck today at the doctors, I can’t even imagine the excitement to hear the heartbeat for the first time!

Good luck with your appointment today!

You’re definitely right – not everyone has the same body or experiences with pregnancy. Some women may be able to run marathons while pregnant, the large majority has to take it a little easier. I think you’re taking a great approach!

10. Jade says

Don’t worry, there are a lot of people that have to gain weight in order to get pregnant, me being one as well. I tried my best to keep running during my pregnancy but stopped around week 20 because I was carrying so low that even with support bands it was soooo uncomfortable. I was still able to do exercise classes and lots of activity until I popped but getting back into the running after the fact feels just harder.

Hearing that first heartbeat is amazing, like one of the most beautiful sounds in the world.

Ah, so excited for you to hear the heartbeat!!!
    I’m proud of you Ashley, for embracing what you needed to, to get your body back to a healthy point. Now you’ll have a bundle of joy as a blessing of all your hard work:) What could be better?!

I think it’s fabulous how well you’re taking it all–both what needed to happen before, and how you’re doing the best YOU can during YOUR pregnancy. It’s about the health of the baby & you, NOT about anyone else. WAY to keep your chin up & refuse to compare. Comparing to others gets people nowhere. I’m sad I wasted so much time in my life doing that!

YAY for healthy baby!!!

Thanks lady! I couldn’t agree more with you about what you said about comparing ourselves to others – so true! Glad we’re past that! ;)

I’m in the same boat as you with having expectations of staying active and running all through my pregnancy. Well, with pregnancy exhaustion and having just run a marathon in June, I am finding it hard to be motivated to do anything besides a walk and some light strength training a couple days a week. But we have to take what we can get! Good luck at your doctor’s appt. Seeing your baby is amazing.

Good luck at the doctor’s appointment Ashley! Also, thanks for sharing your thoughts here on fitness and pregnancy… fitness and maintaining it being a somewhat difficult activity to give up! You were so strong in the spring when you did what was needed in order to get healthy and to this wonderful point! I can understand your expectations and agree with them as well :)

You look so cute and happy :-) I hope your doctor’s appoint goes well / went well if you’ve already gone! I am having so much fun following your pregnancy story.
    Even though I’m nowhere close to being ready to have a baby, I do think about how I want my pregnancy to go in terms of fitness. Like you said, I imagine that I’ll be able to run all of the time, etc. It’s nice reading this now so I’ll be prepared when the time comes to hold off if necessary!

P.S. You post at the perfect time of day because I’m always able to read your latest post while I’m on the bus to school. Just had to say thanks for that :-)

Wait — is the banana, chia, and honey all on the toast at once? Or are you loving them separately?? (Is that a really silly question ..? haha.) — Definitely LOVING this idea. Ohmygoodness it sounds amazingly fabulous!! I can see why you can’t get enough of it!! :)

Oh yes, it’s all one piece of toast… peanut butter, banana slices, sprinkled with chia, and a drizzle of honey. A-ma-zing!

17. Ali says

I am in my 17th week of pregnancy and I can relate to what you’re saying. I, too, had the same expectations pre-pregnancy. I thought I would run and everything would be great. My doctor told me that they don’t suggest any pregnant woman get her heart rate above 140 bpm, which proved impossible for me during running. I really really have this burning desire to run (and I even feel like it now that I’m in my 2nd trimester) and I can’t keep it below 150 bpm and that’s like a turtle pace. It’s frustrating, but I guess walking will have to do! I hope everything went well at your appointment.

18. lindsay says

ash you’re Sooooooo Freakin cute. Cute as a button. Your current stomach looks about as flat as mine when I ovulated…Haha TMI!!! SORRY!!! But seriously, I had a bump.bigger than that before I even took a pregnancy test…you lucky thing you. Also, I was up +15ish pds by week 12. Jealous of you! Oh well, I’ve stopped caring(sort of…), I wanted this pregnancy so badly. I’m just trying to enjoy it. Even of that means a wayyy bigger bump than normal.or what is expected/normal, or way more pds than o counted on/planned on. I’m just rolling with it. You deserve the same. Love you cutie!

Haha you’re sweet Linds, thank you. But seriously, I’m not lying when I say that you’re like the cutest preggo woman I’ve ever seen. You were soooo tiny when you first got pregnant that some extra poundage looks good on you. Don’t you worry! ;) Love YOU!

hope everything went well! you will get back into it for sure. i did nothing but long walks through my first trimester and built up slowly the past 4 months. i’m now running 3 – 4 miles a few times a week and lifting as well. just remember to do what feels right for you!

20. janae@hungryrunnergirl.com says

Hearing the heart beat is the most amazing thing in the world to hear. So happy for you and you look amazing! You are doing a great job and yay for more energy!

21. Marijke says

It sounds like you’re doing just great!
    When I found out I was expecting I stopped running for the first 12 weeks due to a mixture of anxiety on my part and pressure from my husband to take it easy. My pre-pregnancy running-fitness just disappeared! I’m now 18 weeks and working out maybe 4-5 times a week (1 hour) and running is usually only one of those workouts.
    I do miss running terribly but it’s been fun to take part in new classes and discover what else I enjoy about staying active!

Ahh I LOVE these updates :) You look beautiful!

Have you and Cody talked any more about whether or not you’ll find out if the babe is a little boy or little girl?! ;)

Trackbacks