Perfect Pancakes + Week 1 Workout Recap

Goooood morning!

One of my favorite things about Saturday mornings is a delicious and leisurely breakfast. I usually try to find a new recipe or make something that takes a little bit longer than my usual weekday oatmeal or cereal combo. I already found myself thinking about what to have for breakfast this morning yesterday at 3 PM. This is how much I love breakfast people.

Capture

I came across Julie’s Banana Bread Protein Pancakes and knew those would be it. I had never tried them before, but remember seeing them in the past and wanting to try them out. Not only were they delicious, but they came out perfect! Perfectly round, perfectly sized, just all around perfect. I don’t know about you guys, but very rarely do I make perfect looking pancakes. I always seem to mess at least one pancake up or make one way bigger than the other. Not this time! I was one proud pancake flipper this morning! It’s the little things, right? Winking smile

And you bet I spread a little bit of peanut butter in between each pancake! Topped with a little syrup and they tasted fan-freakin-tastic. Definitely making these again!

______________________________

Let’s move on from pancakes to some fitness talk!

As I mentioned earlier this week, I began a new workout program this week thanks to the lovely Carrie over at This Fit Chick. Verdict so far? I’ve been loving it! I really enjoy having a workout planned for me each day that I don’t even have to think about – it’s right there and ready for me. It’s also nice to know that she designed it specifically for me and my growing belly as that was a major concern of mine. Each workout has been a challenge for me, but I have not once felt like I over did it or pushed myself too hard.

She incorporated cardio and strength training into each of my workouts this week. Each day I did about 20-25 minutes of cardio that included walking, jogging, incline walking and/or cardio circuits. I also completed about 20 minutes of strength training that involved some supersets and a few exercises I haven’t done in quite some time. It felt good to switch things up and get sore in places I haven’t been for a long time.

One of the workouts I started to feel a little nauseous while I was lifting, but that faded after I finished. I also find myself getting tired a lot quicker while I’m lifting, so I had to give myself more breaks than I would have several months ago.  I end up feeling great when I complete each workout though. It feels so good to sweat and feel sore again!

I go back and forth with how I feel mentally about my workouts. During my workouts, I found myself feeling discouraged at times because I just feel so out of shape. However, I reminded myself that 1) I’m pregnant and still experiencing some fatigue. I need to give myself a break! 2) I haven’t exercised at this intensity in several months so it’ll take some time to get back my strength and endurance levels. Those things aside, I am proud of how I’m doing so far.

And speaking of my workouts, I need to get going on the workout I have planned for today!

Catch ya later!

• Do you make more of a “special” breakfast on Saturday mornings? If so, what are some of your favorite things to make?
  • Are you a good pancake flipper?

Comments

I love breakfast too, especially weekend breakfast! I plan ahead too and sometimes the thought of breakfast is the only thing that gets me out of bed!

I am a terrible pancake flipper as evidenced by numerous crumbly pancake pics on my blog haha :)

My husband and I sleep in, stay in bed for a while, and just all around be lazy in the morning on Saturdays and/or Sundays. By the time we get around to breakfast, it is lunch time :)

That’s the one bummer about being pregnant is already feeling like you got a workout in when you’re just starting your workout haha. Even before I knew I was pregnant, I was doing a Crossfit workout and the trainer thought I would for sure get it done in XX amount of minutes. And when I didn’t, I was really frustrated because I had thought the same thing – and then I found out I was pregnant, and the world made sense again haha

You’re not alone…I think about my Sunday morning pancakes midweek!!! Love having extra time to make breakfast and indulge in something extra yummy! A trick to get around the flipping is after a few minutes on one side place them under a preheated grill in the pan for a minute or two before flipping!! :)

My pancake flipping brilliance seems to have been short-lived!! I was rocking it for a while, but lately, I’m just off my game! haha. I think I need to practice more — bring on the cakes! ;)
    I like special breakfasts on the weekends, but I’m usually either working the early shift or just coming home from an overnight shift and need something quick in either case. However, I am all about the fancy breakfast-for-dinner dishes on those days (especially when I’ve just woken up after napping post-overnight shift!). Yum!! I’m thinking pumpkin cinnamon waffles tonight …

-I made pancakes for breakfast this morning too–Julie always has the best recipes for those. I made her “Pumpkin Almond Flour Pancakes” today :) I’m terrible at doing the flipping/cooking part with pancakes though, for whatever reason, so when it gets to that point my husband usually takes over haha
    -Anytime you get down on yourself about being tired just remember how amazing that workout is not only for your body right now but for your little peanut of a baby too! You’re really giving him/her a gift each time you lift one of those weights or go walking!

I always try to make something that takes a little more time to prepare on the weekends, however I just finished off a bowl of overnight oats so I’m contradicting myself a little bit! ;-) I love pancakes, but I feel like I’m horrible at making them! The first few I can never flip, a few in the middle turn out good, then by the end of everything the last few get burned!

8. Taryn says

Too funny! I legit have oatmeal for breakfast every single day, weekends included, but yesterday when I woke up I felt like having something a little different. What did I make? Julie’s Banana Bread Protein Pancakes! Yours came out much prettier than mine did, but they were still amazing. Who wouldn’t love banana bread for breakfast?!

Those pancakes look GREAT! And as far as I’m concerned, peanut butter is NOT optional when it comes to banana pancakes! Mmmm! I always love having the weekends to take more time for breakfast since I’m usually running around like a crazy woman during my work week and pancakes are, of course, my specialty! :) Believe me, it takes LOTS of practice AND patience to be a good pancake flipper! You just have to make sure your pancake is “set” before flipping, and have a good-sized, sturdy spatula for getting underneath it!

So glad to hear you’re enjoying your workouts. I’ve been in a bit of a funk lately, but have some plans for changing things up this week with some moves I found on bodybuilding.com

I am always thinking about what to make for breakfast when the weekends roll around! I love breakfast too. I eat breakfast everyday at work with my co-workers so I look forward to the weekends when I have time to make myself something special like pancakes!

I love pancakes and usually make them on Sundays. But I haven’t in a few weeks. I am the worst flipper ever and the pictures on my blog of pancakes are always pretty bad : ) But they taste good!

I would recommend a nonstick pan or pancake griddle covered in cooking spray. It helps the sticking problem so much!