10/11: Thursday Thoughts

1. I made an amazingly delicious addicting healthy (how’s that for some adjectives?!) snack yesterday. Recipe tomorrow. Yes, I said recipe. A new one. Be ready for it.

2. I have had NO motivation to exercise this week. Absolutely none. Ugh.

3. However, I did force myself to go out on a jog/walk yesterday. The best part was that it was cool enough to go out at 3:30 PM. #ilovefall

4. Cody appreciates all of your kind words on his post Tuesday. He really enjoyed writing it!

5. I’m so excited to be enjoying salad regularly again! It seriously makes my day just thinking about it.

Embedded image permalink

6. LOVED this post. Gina is a rock star, and I admire her attitude about her pre and post pregnancy body so much.

7. SLC local readers: The lovely Annette and I will be at The Gluten Free Expo (at South Town Expo Center) manning The Simply Bar booth this Saturday from 9-5.  The first ten people to email me will get a free ticket! And one more condition – you must come by our booth and introduce yourself! I’d love to meet you!

8. We just discovered last year’s season of The Office is now on Netflix! We will probably be through it within the week. No big deal.

[source]

9. Tomorrow is FRIDAY! Yippee!

• What helps you when you’re lacking motivation to exercise?
  • Do you watch The Office? If so, who is your favorite character?

Comments

When I’m lacking motivation, I have a few different tricks … I try to picture the feeling I get after a really sweaty workout — that elation is one of my favourite feelings in the world. I tell myself that I am lucky that I get to workout, when for two whole years I wasn’t allowed. I tell myself that I’ll only commit to 10 min/2 miles/ 3 exercises and will re-evaluate after that — 99.5% of the time, I’ll keep adding more increments until I build to a full workout. When all else fails, I bribe myself with candy.
    At team training last night, I wore long tights and a long-sleeve under a vest and was barely sweating at the end of running over 7 miles (over 4mi of which was sprinting) and this morning it’s barely above freezing. Fall is definitely here and I love it!!

What helps me when I lack motivation to exercise is calling a friend to meet me at the gym… accountability, baby! But then again, I’m not pregnant so I feel me lacking motivation is different than you lacking motivation. :) :)

sometimes i have a hard time finding motivation too but I just have to tell myself to get out of bed and put on the clothes and I’ll go anddddd thinking that i’ll feel 100 times better after a workout… that gives me some motivation!

4. Becky Przy says

I used to freak out when I didn’t feel like exercising. Now I realize sometimes my body just needs a break, so I just try to go for a walk or do some yoga. I know i will feel better after I get moving, but I don’t need to push myself to go all out if I don’t feel like it.

If I’m having trouble getting motivated, I usually just tell myself to go for 10 minutes. Usually by that point I’m good to keep going, but if I’m really not feeling it, I at least know I tried and I got a little bit of movement in.

Whenever I’m lacking the motivation to work out, I try to bribe myself. Haha, lame but it works. I’ll go to the library to pick up new books and/or magazines to bring with me to the gym. Otherwise I’ll respond to all of my emails while on the elliptical. Saving blogs to read while on the cardio equipment seems to work, too. I think I’m lacking motivation whenever I picture myself being bored once I get there–so if I know that I have something to occupy me (even new songs can be helpful) then it makes it easier!

It usually helps me to just remind myself how much better I’ll feel after. I’d much rather suffer through the first few minutes of a workout then have to live with that “I’m a slug” feeling for the rest of the day.

Very true. Although lately I’ve been enjoying my “I’m a slug” days a little too much. Haha! SO unlike me, so I’m going to chalk it up to pregnancy.

Ohhh, I don’t think I can pick a favourite character on the Office. Except when Michael was there. I love him. It’s just such a great show!
    I usually try and workout first thing in the morning when I have no motivation, otherwise I just will never do it!

YAY for the expo!!!!! :)

If I don’t feel like exercising, then I just say, I’ll do only 10 minutes. Usually after those 10 are up I stick around to do more b/c it makes me feel good. It almost always does the trick! Sweat starting/muscles working/blood pumping/endorphins flowing—it all happens in 5-10 minutes, so you just have to get to that! BUT, some days I scratch it & just do some yoga/foam roll.

I’ve been lacking motivation to workout lately too. I still ‘mini’ stuff (if that makes sense haha), but what will get me back into is I think the regretting of eating cookies and other stuff that ain’t so calorie friendly haha. Probably bad to admit, but I have no shame ;)

I always seem to hit a point every winter when it’s so tough to motivate myself to exercise. What usually works for me is just promising myself to do SOMETHING, even if it’s just walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes. A lot of the time, I’ll get into it after a few minutes and get in a good run. Sometimes it’s just a 20 minute walk. But that’s okay :-)

I definitely think the cold temps have something to do with it. But you’re totally right, SOMETHING is better than nothing!

I feel so out of the loop when people start talking TV shows because I hardly ever watch TV so I never know what the heck everyone is talking about :lol: The best I can do is say that I’ve been catching up on old seasons of Dexter and I’m kind of obsessed. As for the motivation thing, I usually coax myself into it by telling myself to only do something short and easy, even a 10 minute walk, and then I can stop if I’m not feeling it. More often than not, as soon as I start moving I feel a lot better and keep going… but sometimes even that 10 minutes is okay :)

13. ErikaMC says

I use to love The Office but I stopped watching it 2 seasons ago – I just couldn’t get into it anymore. My favorite character was probably Kevin or Andy and Michael too of course.

Just read that post by Gina, she is a rockstar!!! What an inspiration! Plus she looks AMAZING!

My sister-in-law just recently found out she had a gluten-intolerance and is going to that expo this weekend! Wish I could go! I will have to tell her to stop by your booth though!!! :)

15. Amanda N says

When I’m lacking I like to look back at what I accomplished when I was motivated OR just think about how the feeling of accomplishment after I exercise is much better than the feeling of guilt. Also bribes help….especially if they include a healthy sized portion of sweets or a few episodes of your favorite show on Netflix in a row. Good luck getting motivated! Just go take a walk and enjoy fall, it will come to you :)

Quite honestly, when I’m lacking motivation to work out, there’s usually a reason, so I just tell myself that taking a day (or three, lol) off is not a big deal and I just try to do SOMETHING active that day, even if it’s just vacuuming the house.

Personally, I need to suck it up and go buy some new workout clothes. It’s been hard to get my butt to the gym when my gear isn’t fitting properly. I’m uncomfortable and I just want to wear a sign that says “I’m pregnant!” haha!

When I’m really dragging and need motivation I buy myself a new magazine to read on the elliptical. I know it’s not the most heart pumping workout, but it’s better than nothing!

I’m so behind on The Office – I think I stopped watching it around the 4th season? I really want to catch up though!

Love The Office but the show has seriously gone downhill since Jim and Pam officially got together and even MORE downhill since Michael moved to Colorado. It makes me sad.