I just love Saturdays. I don’t set my alarm clock, I ease my way into the morning, and my favorite – I take my time making and enjoying a special hot breakfast. I usually try to make something I wouldn’t normally make throughout the week which usually ends up being along the lines of pancakes, French toast, or waffles.
I used to say waffles were my favorite, but I think pancakes have won me over within the past year or so with waffles still in a close second. However, this morning I was truly craving a waffle. After lying in bed for a bit, I finally wandered into the kitchen to mix something up.
We didn’t have any Kodiak Cake Mix to help me out, so I winged it and came up with this Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Whole Wheat Waffle. It was everything I had hoped for and more.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Whole Wheat Waffle
Servings: 1 (plus a little more)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup pumpkin
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8-1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Add ingredients to a small mixing bowl and stir until mixed together well.
- Spray waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour batter into waffle iron and let cook.
- Place waffle on plate, add your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Note: There might be some extra batter leftover. I used it to make another “mini waffle” or you could make it into a couple pancakes to save for another time.
Of course I ate my waffle with a little peanut butter and maple syrup. There’s no other way.
Enjoy your day!
- Rank these from your most favorite to least favorite: waffles, pancakes, French toast.
- What are your favorite waffle toppings?