Week 21: How My Workouts Have Changed

How far along? 21 weeks

Baby’s size? Pomegranate (10.5 inches and 12.7 ounces). Wowee, the baby grew four inches this past week?! No wonder I felt like my belly grew so much within just a few days! Crazy!

Total weight gain/loss: Still about 13 pounds

Stretch marks? Nope.

Sleep: This is pretty hit or miss. There were a few nights that I had a little bit of insomnia and/or couldn’t get comfortable. Then there were a couple nights that I slept amazing and got in a lot of sleep. Just depends!

Best moment this week: Seeing my family for the first time since last spring!

Miss Anything? Wine would’ve been nice at Thanksgiving, but oh well.

Movement: Yes, quite a bit! A few weeks ago, I had to be lying down and really focus to feel anything. Now I’m feeling it kick fairly often no matter what I’m doing!

Food cravings: Salty foods still tend to be my favorites. I continue to be obsessed with my egg, turkey bacon, and cheese sandwiches for breakfast.

Anything making you queasy or sick: My stomach has been a little “off” here and there this past week for whatever reason. I can’t pinpoint why or what it feels like though.

Gender: I have to be honest, I really want to find out the gender today since we could if we wanted to, but I’m sticking to our plan and keeping it a surprise. I just keep telling myself how special it’ll be when he/she comes out!

Labor Signs: None

Symptoms: Occasional “off” stomach, round ligament pain, minor headaches

Belly Button in or out? It’s getting more flattened out which is super weird, and it’s starting to pop just a little bit!

Wedding rings on or off? On.

Happy or moody most of the time: Happy! So excited for our little babe!

Looking forward to: Our doctor’s appointment this morning! We get an ultrasound, which is super exciting since we haven’t seen him/her since 8 weeks!

21weeks

I’ve had several readers ask me how my workouts have changed since being pregnant. Even though I wrote about having a fit pregnancy several weeks ago, I’d still like to touch on what my workouts have been like over the course of my pregnancy. I went into my pregnancy with no real set “workout plan” other than to stay as active as possible without compromising the health of my baby or me. This meant that some weeks would involve more activity while other weeks were pretty minimal on the workout front.

The beginning weeks of pregnancy were pretty rough thanks to the nausea and fatigue that hit me like a ton of bricks starting at six weeks. Walking was about as good as it got for awhile there, but I was okay with that. My walks actually helped me feel better physically and mentally during those first several weeks.

As the second trimester approached, I started to feel more and more like myself, but I still had plenty of “off days”. I took it day by day and determined my workouts based on how I was feeling. I was able to throw in more strength workouts and increased my cardio intensity a bit, but still had my days that a short walk was all I could handle.

21weeks2

As the days and weeks have progressed, I continue to have more good days than bad so I’ve really enjoyed using my “good days” to get back into more of a workout routine. My body has seemed to respond best when I do about two to three days of moderate intensity steady state cardio (i.e. speed/incline walking, light jogging, aerobics), two days of strength training (i.e. moderate circuit workouts, workout DVDs, Pilates), and one to two days of gentle yoga per week. I’m not rigid with this, but simply use it as a guideline to help me plan out my workouts for the week. If my body needs sleep more than a workout, then sleep gets first priority. If my body feels exhausted or overworked, I give myself an extra rest day. (If you’re curious about what my workouts have been like more in detail, you can check out My Daily Workout Log.)

Since I had to tone down my workouts and activity levels quite a bit even before I got pregnant due to HA, I wasn’t in my best shape going into my pregnancy. That being said, I have kept my workouts to about moderate intensity since being pregnant. I’ve found that it’s challenging enough for me, but it doesn’t feel like I’m over exerting myself.

I haven’t been running like I had hoped, but I’m not beating myself up about it. I’ve just come to realize over the past several weeks that I’m not going to be a pregnant runner, and I’m a-okay with that as long as I’m staying active. Running turned into quite a passion of mine a couple years ago, and I miss it dearly. I can’t wait to get back to it after our little one is born. Until then, I’m going to take it day by day and continue to do my best to keep active in other ways!

• If you are/were pregnant, did your workouts change when you got pregnant?
  • Pregnant or not: What is your weekly workout routine like?

Comments

as long as the good days out number the bad, then you are good! running will come later, post pregnancy. Maybe it will be a good outlet then.
    youre super cute!

2. Becky Przy says

I love the weekly pregnancy updates!

I had to cutback on the length of my workouts while pg. At least 1x/week, I was sure it was my last day of running, only to run the next day and feel awesome (even though I was a lot slower).

My weekly workout routine has changed so much. I used to run 5x/week and lift 1-2x/week. Now with struggling w/HA, I am trying to find a balance–but I have added yoga and cut way back on running. So I do 3-4 days of short runs (easy pace), 1-2 days light lifting and 1 day of yoga.

I think you are doing so great and looking fantastic! I think it’s good to have a plan of how you want to be during pregnancy (workout wise) but I also believe it’s so important to listen to your body because it’s not just you anymore. You’re doing everything right love!

First off I have to say you look adorable pregnant. :)

Like you with both my pregnancy’s I was sick during the first trimester and didn’t really exercise. But once the second trimester started I began back to my normal routine, for the most part.

Since I was more fit before becoming pregnant to second time around, I worked out harder. My doctor always said you can do what you did before pregnancy just listen to your body.

It is so much fun embarking on this journey with you. :) You are doing a great job taking care of yourself and your baby.

You look adorable, as usual! When I was pregnant, I didn´t work out much in the first trimester because I felt sick; but in the 2nd and 3rd I exercised about 4x a week. I ran about 2x a week and then did other forms of cardio and light weights 2x a week. It felt good to be active :).

I’m pretty sure I say this every week, but ah! you’re so cute!!

Right now, I workout 4 days a week – focus on heavy weights with some cradio intervals thrown in there. It was a weird adjustment (I was a one rest a week type-girl) but I’m finding that I enjoy it so much more! It’s weird how much time you have when you’re not workout out every moment of the day :-p

I don’t see how anyone could be a pregnant runner! Just sounds uncomfortable with a baby belly.

I wish I could say that I am working out still, but third trimester has greeted me with fatigue and my belly is getting heavy. It hurts too much to bend over :( I am anxious to start working out again, but until then, walking will have to suffice.

Awwr. I’m sorry to hear that you’re not able to be as active as you wanted during your pregnancy, but I think the most important thing is to listen to your body, and you’re doing a great job at that :D There’ll be plenty of time to get back into working out after you have your little one!

I don’t have a set workout schedule or anything, but I like to make sure I get in at least one yoga session, two strength training sessions and a few cardio sessions (whether it be the elliptical at the gym or running outside). I love rounding out my week with a yoga session usually :) Helps me stretch out all my muscles & unwind.

I had some bleeding issues(tmi) with both of my pregnancies so I was only allowed to walk as exercise. I also did some super easy stuff like wall push ups and bicep curls with super light weight(3 pounds) but I managed to keep my weight gain pretty low with both. I think the key is just doing something, regardless of whether you have to tone it down or not.

I’m 21 weeks too and noticed that crazy length change, it’s because they measure from head to toe now instead of head to butt. Not sure why though?

My workouts have definitely changed! Mostly because I get out of breath so easily. I take it easier on weights, and cardio has been less intense for sure.

Interesting! I had no idea about the measurements. Makes sense as to why the drastic increase though! I get out of breath super easily too. Glad I’m not the only one! ;)

Yes, I’ve definitely learned just how important sleep is within the past year or so. And thank you! It’s SO comfy!

you are adorable! lol! pregnancy really looks good on you :)

I’m not pregnant but I can imagine my routine will def change. I’ll prob do the pregnant yoga stuff and walk because I know I’ve had my own problems when running so I wouldn’t want to chance that ruining anything.

I KNOW! I was actually just thinking that the other day. I miss you! I feel like life has been so busy lately, so hopefully we can gchat soon!

13. Becky says

I’m 27 weeks pregnant and my workout routine is DEFINITELY different looking now. I pushed my body hard pre-pregnancy and would workout at least an hour (usually more), 4 days a week. Now I keep it at 30/45 minutes (usually 30) and I’m at 3 days a week.

I still go to a weekly Body Pump class, but have had to drop the weight for squats and just do my body weight…it hurts my back too much. I’ve lowered my weight amount on all the other muscle groups except triceps and biceps. I have some pregnancy DVDs I pop in here and there…so my routine varies from swimming laps, to pregnancy DVDs, to yoga, to my weekly 30 minute (fast paced) walk.

It sucks “back tracking” but my hubby reminded me it’s short lived and I’ll be back at pushing myself as hard as before, in no time. I’m just listening to my body and remembering my main focus is creating our son! :) And taking it all a day at a time.

PS – you look great!

I was hoping to be a pregnant runner, too, but that just hasn’t happened. And that’s OK. I’ll get back into it eventually. I know it will probably be more challenging, since I’ve taken so much time off, but such is life! ;)

You look gorgeous! So excited that you ended up finding out the sex today!

You look great! You’re absolutey glowing and beautiful! I’m glad to hear that you’re physically feeling pretty well and that you’re happy for your new babe. That’s how I felt throughout my whole pregnancy: happy and excited!

I didn’t work out in the first trimester. I was sick and exhausted all the time. I followed Summer Sanders Prenatal Workout DVD for the 2nd ad 3rd trimesters. I only ever did the half hour workout but I did it every day. I liked it and it wasn’t too intense. I also did stretching and ballet barre exercises every day randomly throughout the day. I did a lot of plies because I wanted to deliver my baby standing up. Also, I love plies anyway.

Now I do yoga 6 times a week for half and hour or more. I’m also on my feet a lot cooking, cleaning and playing with my little one.

I’m just finishing 22 weeks and have been doing lots of swimming, walking and some prenatal yoga as well. Tried the running thing earlier on but it got too uncomfortable for me and I don’t have a gym membership so weights has been kinda out of the question. Taking it pretty easy really and listening to my bod – everything is just for preparation for the birth :D

Congrats on it being a boy as well – how exciting!!

I’m 21 weeks today! I feel like I’ve really popped at this point. I haven’t been running like I had hoped either. I still have thoughts that maybe I will when spring finally arrives, but maybe it will just be power walking. I so look forward to running with our little boy in a jogger come fall though!!!