Week 24: Healthy {Pregnancy} Snacks

24weeks[Please excuse my awesome hair and sexy armpit sweat stains… Just finished a workout. Winking smile]

How far along? 24 weeks

Baby’s size? Cantaloupe – wow! 10.5-11.8 inches in length and weighs about 12.7-20.8 ounces.

Total weight gain/loss: 15ish pounds

Stretch marks? Nope.

Sleep: Once I go to sleep, it’s been great. I haven’t been the best at getting enough sleep the last several days though which is obviously my own fault. My goal for this week is to get to bed earlier!

Best moment this week: Getting some of my favorite foods at Trader Joe’s!

Miss Anything? I missed sushi and wine A LOT on Friday evening when were at the dinner party for Cody’s work since it seemed to be everywhere I looked!

Movement: Yep, still lots of movement! I’ve been noticing that he squirms around a lot in there at set times each day which is pretty neat. He’s already on his own little sleeping schedule!

Food cravings: Nope, not really. My taste buds were fairly normal this week!

Anything making you queasy or sick: I’ve gotten a little queasy here and there this past week, but it’s pretty random and doesn’t last for long (thank goodness!).

Gender: BOY! Smile

Labor Signs: None

Symptoms: A growing belly, increased appetite, peeing A LOT, and a little heartburn here and there.

Belly Button in or out? It’s starting to push out more!

Wedding rings on or off? On.

Happy or moody most of the time: Happy!

Looking forward to: Going to Arizona to visit family for Christmas and our first baby shower on Saturday!

PicMonkey Collage

I’ve always been a lover of snacks, but they’ve become even more crucial and frequent throughout the second trimester of my pregnancy. My appetite these last several weeks has been on overdrive, and there’s no way I am able to make it from one meal to the next without a snack or two (or three!) thrown in there.

Because I’m supporting a growing baby, I make it a priority to ensure that my snacks are healthy and include lots of protein, healthy fats, and good carbohydrates (i.e. whole grain, fruits, veggies). Below I have some of my favorite healthy snacks for those that are pregnant as well as those non pregnant people that are simply wanting some more healthy snack ideas.

• Smashed avocado on wheat toast

I’ve been eating this almost every other day lately. I love, love, LOVE it! I smash half of an avocado with a fork in a bowl and add a few shakes of garlic powder, salt, and pepper, mix it up, and spread it on a piece of whole wheat toast. So simple yet so delicious!

*This snack is packed with healthy fats and whole grains*

• Spoonful of all natural peanut butter + glass of low fat milk

This is the perfect on-the-go snack when you’re rushing out the door or when you’re starving and can’t get anything in your mouth fast enough. Don’t be afraid to add a few chocolate chips on your peanut butter spoon too! Winking smile

*This snack is packed with healthy fats, protein, and calcium*

• Cottage cheese + fruit

I like adding berries, sliced pears, or bananas to my cottage cheese. Sometimes I add some cocoa powder to the cottage cheese for some extra flavor and/or top it with some nut butter if I’m extra hungry!

*This snack is packed with protein, calcium, and good carbohydrates (fruit)*

• Greek yogurt + granola

This is a great snack to help satisfy my sweet tooth while still being on the healthy side. My favorite kind of granola is Love Grown Granola. It’s whole grain, all natural, and made with no artificial ingredients. I love this combo!

*This snack is packed with protein, calcium, and whole grains*

IMG_1946

• Fruit + nut butter

My favorite fruit + nut butter combos are banana with peanut butter, apple with peanut butter, and pears with sunflower seed butter or almond butter. It takes little to no preparation and gives me the slight sweet ‘n salty flavor that I love.

*This snack is packed with good carbohydrates (fruit), healthy fats, and protein*

• More of my favorites include cereal with low fat milk, peanut butter on wheat toast, LARABARS, and The Simply Bars.

Hopefully these snacks will give you some ideas if you’re in a snack rut or if you are making an effort to include more nutrient dense foods into your diet. Smile

Have a wonderful day!

Question:

• What are some of your favorite healthy snacks?

Comments

1. Katy says

I’m pregnant and I’ve been living off of snacks! Some of my favorites are: Greek yogurt, Clif Bars, pretzels, popcorn, bagel thins with cream cheese and tomato, nuts, cheese sticks, oranges and apples!

Gosh aren’t the weeks flying by! Your snacks look great. Love the sound of the smashed avocado. I’ve never tried it, not sure why. I think my favourite snacks are defiitely fruit but I need protein as well to keep me going, so maybe some ham or something to nibble at as well.

Cannot go wrong with peanut butter right out of the jar!

One of my favourite snacks right now is cottage cheese with vanilla stevia, strawberry jam, and Peanut Butter Panda Puffs – so good! Other favourites: plain Greek yogurt with chocolate protein powder mixed in and clementines – I have a huge box of them right now!

I read on babycenter, that some experts say to cut back on peanut butter and peanut products in the third trimester, because women who have those types of products more than once or twice a week have a higher chance of having a baby with a peanut allergy.. I don’t really know how true that is.. but all I’ve been wanting is a peanut butter sandwich everyday!

Some of your favorite snacks are some of my favorite snacks, too! I’m addicted to Larabars. And I love avocado on wheat toast or an english muffin! I haven’t had that in forever though, because good avocados are SO hard to find where I live. I love that you’re keeping healthy eating as a priority. It shows, because you look amazing!

Thank you so much Angela! I’m trying my best, but it sure is getting more challenging with all of these Christmas treats everywhere I look! ;)

6. Amanda N says

I always get in a rut with my snacks so these are some good suggestions :) I’ll have to try the smashed avocado on toast!

I want avo on toast SO badly now!!! You are looking so good at 24 weeks!!! I forgot you were a blonde there for a minute!! I’m so excited – I’m getting blondified this afternoon!!! Hubby’s parents are gonna watch Nia while I get highlights and he gets a haircut (we’ve really let ourselves slip these past few months haha)

8. ErikaMC says

I must try that avocado on toast! I wish avocados weren’t $1.00 a piece right now though.

I don’t know if this is true for everyone but I noticed that my baby was more “active” during certain times of the day too and once he was born his active times were around the same times.

9. Sharon says

I’m 7.5 months pregnant. My fav snacks are string cheese and mandarin oranges!! I usually eat a pretty hearty oatmeal or egg breakfast and a huge salad or bowl of soup for lunch – so it doesn’t take too much in the way of snacks to tide me over. That being said! When I need a snack – i NEED a snack!!! The string cheese and baby oranges are pretty protable too.

Thanks for the new ideas!

I’ve been loving string cheese too… forgot about that one! Let’s be honest, I’ve been loving ALL things cheese lately though. ;)

10. Koryn @ **wife & soon-to-be blogger** ;-) says

Wow, you have one of the tonest/fittest preggo bellies I’ve seen! Adorable!! And yes, another Larabar fan here! If they weren’t so expensive, I’d have one every day! Lol. Whole grain crackers & pb or apples with cheese are also winners for me whenever I want a hearty, healthy snack! :)

Wow, thank you Koryn! That’s such a sweet compliment. :) I’d buy Larabars left and right if they weren’t so pricey either. They’re nice for the occasional snack though!

SO cute!! :)

For work snacks, I’ve been doing apples/bananas/pears, yogurt, string cheese, peanut butter crackers, and protein bars. When I’m at home, I’ve been loving frozen grapes, lowfat organic chocolate milk, and peanut butter on toast. I’ve been eating pretty healthy, with the exception of having a small bowl of ice cream every night haha! ;)

12. Chrissy says

Ash you look great! And I will be trying some of those myself! Me and the bbes will love em!! Mmmmmm. That granola looks great!

Thank you for giving me more healthy snack ideas!! I’ve been eating tons of Chobani yogurt with fruit and rice chex in it or just plain. I have been doing smoothies a lot, but it’s COLD and they don’t sound as good now. I’ve had sushi on my mind a lot lately too!! I think I’m having it delivered to me in the hospital haha! You look great:)

Ohhh man, I’ve been loving cheese lately so I’m sure the sharp white cheddar would be an excellent addition! Thanks for the idea!

14. Kristi says

I am not pregnant, but a mother of three and trying to get us back to healthy eating. I can’t wait to try some of your healthy snacks! (F.Y.I. When I was pregnant w/ our first I ate nuts almost every day as part of my portable breakfast & the oldest is deathly allergic to them. I never heard of it either, until after the fact, but she is the only one with the allergy. /?/)