WIAW #66: A Productive Start to the New Year

How was everyone’s New Year’s Day?!

Ours was pretty darn productive if I do say so myself. The day was a perfect way to kick off the New Year, and I’m so proud of what we got accomplished. We eased into the day, relaxed a bit, and ate a leisurely breakfast before getting to work on things around 9:30 AM.

Peas and Crayons

My taste buds haven’t been all there the last few days thanks to this fantastic head cold I’ve been rocking, so I went with a simple breakfast of peanut butter, banana slices, and chia seed on wheat toast.

I also had a small glass of Tropicana Trop50 Orange Juice for some extra Vitamin C. I didn’t know what to expect with this OJ, but I was quite impressed! I’ll definitely be buying it again in the future.

We spent about an hour taking down the Christmas tree and other Christmas décor around the house. As much as I love Christmas, it’s nice to have our house back to normal now. Somewhere in there I had an orange too. It was so flavorful and juicy!

I got right to work on one of my resolutions and started cleaning out the pantry. I threw away random items and expired food, reorganized the shelves, and added a hook for my aprons. Ahhh SO much better!

PicMonkey Collage

Next I moved onto the junk room office and started clearing it out to make room for baby Hunter’s nursery. We packed up all of the books, got rid of our bookshelf, and brought a bunch of random boxes down to the basement. I can’t believe how much junk this room accumulated! We also plan to get rid of the desk and chair in the next week or two. I wish I had a “before” photo to show you, but we made a lot of progress in this room yesterday. Woo hoo!

We took a break somewhere in there to eat lunch. I had a fajita style omelet with peppers, onions, and cheese and a side of cooked artichokes. It hit the spot!

After lunch I did some random chores around the house that I never really think about doing – cleaning off the top of the refrigerator, dusting items on top of our kitchen cabinets, etc. We relaxed a bit and then headed out to run a few errands. Our first stop was Hobby Lobby to get this wall coat hanger to put in our entry way. It’s something I’ve wanted to get for awhile now to put coats and purses on. I love it!

After Hobby Lobby we made a pit stop at Starbucks to get a couple hot drinks since the highs were in the low 20s (ew!). Cody got a hot chocolate, and I got a decaf misto with a pump of hazelnut. I’ve never tried the misto before, but I’m definitely a fan. It’s half coffee-half milk and is just like a latte except almost half the price. Sold!

Capture

Our final stop was Home Depot to pick out some paint colors for the nursery and our bedroom. We didn’t actually buy the paint, but it was fun to get some samples to bring home. Hopefully we’ll be painting in the next couple weeks!

By the time we got home, I was a little hungry so I had a spoonful of sunflower seed butter and washed it down with a small glass of milk. Mmm love this stuff!

I helped Cody hang the coat hanger, did some laundry, and dinked around on my laptop for a bit before getting dinner together. I’ve been wanting to try Courtney’s Skinny Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo for awhile now, and I finally made it happen last night. I followed her directions exactly except I used whole wheat linguini instead of fettuccini and mozzarella cheese instead of parmesan. It turned out super tasty, and Cody was a big fan.

I finished off dinner with a Trader Joe’s Salted Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Truffle. Ohhh my, I can’t get enough of these babies. So much goodness in such a little bite!

After dinner, Cody played his new Playstation 3 while I caught up on some blog stuff. I had a spoonful of Justin’s Vanilla Almond Butter before I headed to bed to read The Happiness Project for awhile and then fell fast asleep.

Now I’m just crossing my fingers that this cold leaves me for good in the next day or two! See ya later for a pregnancy post!

• What was your New Year’s Day like?
  • What is your go-to Starbucks drink?

Comments

Yummy eats!!! One of my favourite all time breakfasts, can’t beat it! Though I’d go SunButter over Peanut Butter if I had the choice :) Lunch looks amazing too, I haven’t had artichokes in way too long!

It’s such a simple yet satisfying breakfast, isn’t it?! Mmm I love SunButter too! I’ve been eating it like crazy lately!

Wow you were very productive! We literally did nothing…just watched Harry Potter and Homeland hehe. I love that coat hanger! I really want a pantry – our tiny house doesn’t allow for it, but I’d love a space like that for loads of ingredients. But I guess that would mean organising it and tidying it occasionally hehe.

I love those days when you feel so so productive! I had one a few days ago where I cleaned the entire house, ran some errands, and baked. Going to bed feeling accomplished is a great feeling!

I was so productive yesterday too around the house! We do need to get our office cleaned up though, think we are doing that today!

Happy New Year girl! <3 xo

We had a low key day, stayed at home, did a workout and watched movies. My go to is a soy, decaf cinnamon dolce or iced soy decaf hazelnut latte – half ice. I like to be complicated ;)

My New Years Day was much like yours, trying to be productive around the house. I deep cleaned the bathrooms and got caught up on most of my laundry. Gotta finish it off by vacuuming and steam mopping the floors today. Fun stuff!!

Such a great, productive day! I’m totally jealous and inspired! I really want to tackle some messy closets and drawers in my house, weekend projects here I come. How are you liking The Happiness Project so far? I loved it and found it totally inspiring, especially with housework. “Do it now” is constantly ringing in the back of my mind these days!

I absolutely love productive days like that. I spent yesterday shopping before having dinner with my family, but I have a lot of cleaning and random errands on the agenda for today, and dare I say that I’m kind of looking forward to that productivity high? :D

Looks like you had a very nice & productive New Year’s Day! Mine was very low-key, & lazy. Nice though. I caught up on some blogging, did some research, & laundry. My go-to Starbucks drink has been either a cafe misto or skinny cinnamon dolce latte. Mmm!

I really wish we had a pantry. If there’s one thing I could wish for in a house (besides drawers in a bathroom lol), it would be a pantry!!!

I’m glad you’re a true Starbuckers now with the whole misto tasting like a latte but not paying for the latte price…I’m ALL over that ;) haha

I love sorting everything out in the new year and having a good old clean out of the cupboards etc – im taking my tree down tomorrow so will most likely start then!

I’ve really been enjoying it! It’s been challenging me in different ways to get organized, pay more attention to certain things, and just do a lot of reflection.