I had a rare free Friday afternoon yesterday and found myself standing in my kitchen looking outside at the frigid –5 degree weather (not even joking!) and having the urge to bake. When I don’t have much else to do and it’s too cold to go anywhere, baking is my thing to do.
I looked around to see what ingredients I had on hand, and two large brown bananas stared back at me. I started envisioning all of the quick bread possibilities that I could make with these overly ripe brown bananas, but classic banana bread kept coming back to me.
There’s a couple banana bread recipes that I have stored in my recipe file box that I’ve collected from various people, but they are all pretty high in sugar and fat. I was hoping to come up with a banana bread that was a little on the healthier side but was just as delicious as the full fat and higher sugar versions.
Well my friends, I think I came up with a winner! Cody even gave his stamp of approval which is not always easy to come by. He usually immediately notices if I “healthify” a recipe, but the only response that came out of his mouth when he tried a piece of this banana bread was, “Mmm this is good!” Woo hoo!
Healthy Banana Bread
Servings: 1 loaf
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 50-55 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- Stir together wet ingredients (first seven ingredients).
- Stir together dry ingredients in separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix together well.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Now go get your bake on!