Meal Plan for the Week

Hi guys! How was the weekend?

Ours was pretty chill, but still fun and productive at the same time. The highlights:

-Café Rio Chicken & Black Bean Salad

-Great conversation and lots of laughs with Annette and her husband

IMG_1048[Apparently I was cracking up at something?! Haha.]

IMG_1045[Love this girl!]

-Sweaty treadmill walk

Capture

-Sorting through Baby Hunter’s clothes, washing them, and organizing them – he’s going to be so stinkin’ cute! Smile

**************************

I sat down last night, like I do most Sunday evenings, and planned out our dinners for the week. I never plan out our breakfasts or lunches since those are typically leftovers or basic staples we always have on hand. However, I do like to have a plan with our dinners to help make my grocery shopping a little easier. I also like to put a little more energy and thinking into our dinners to try new recipes and not get stuck in a rut with the same meals. After making this week’s meal plan, I realized I had to share it with you guys! I have a few new recipes on the menu that I’ve recently found and am super excited to try out. Most of them are ones I found on Pinterest or various blogs. Let’s take a look!

Monday: Chicken, Sweet Potato, & Spinach Quesadillas

I saw these on Courtney’s blog quite awhile back and have been meaning to try them for months now. They sound unique, delicious, and super easy to make!

IMG_2824[photo by Courtney]

Tuesday: Wing It!

We usually have a “wing it” night at least once a week. Cody gets home a little later from work on Tuesdays, so I figured it’d be a good night to do leftovers, a sandwich, or even a bowl of cereal. Who knows!

Wednesday: Breakfast for dinner

This is always a favorite in our house. We usually go with either waffles and/or an egg scramble of some sort. It’s a guaranteed easy, cheap, and delicious meal.

Thursday: Grandma Haan’s Casserole

This was a favorite of mine that my mom would regularly make growing up. It’s essentially Shepherd’s Pie with a little twist to it. It makes for a fairly healthy comfort food dish and is super simple too!

Friday: Avocado Chicken Parmigiana

I found this one on Pinterest and immediately knew I would be making it when I saw that cheese and avocado were involved. I can’t wait to try this one!

[Photo by Cuisine Paradise]

Saturday: Cauliflower Crust Pizza

I’ve tried cauliflower crust a few times in the past, but I’ve never tried this particular recipe. It’s been awhile since I’ve made it, so I’m looking forward to it! I’m thinking of doing chicken sausage and various veggies with cheese for toppings.

IMG 2395[photo by Janetha]

Sunday: Leftovers

We typically have a bigger lunch on Sundays so leftovers are usually our go-to Sunday dinners. It works out well so we can clean out the fridge a bit from the week!

Hopefully this will give you some ideas for your own dinners this week! I’d love to hear your feedback if you’ve tried any of the above recipes too.

Have a great Monday!

• Do you meal plan or just go with the flow?
  • What are some recipes or meals that you’re planning on making this week?

Comments

I do the same thing with my meal plan – plan 5-6 dinners for the week. I’ve got a taco night on the plan for this week, plus a new recipe for a Thai sweet potato and shrimp soup that I’m excited for. Should be a good week of dinners!

2. Amelia says

What a fun time!! I love her blog too. :)

Cauliflower crust is SOOOOO good! I never ever thought I would say that, but I like it so much that I usually hoard the leftovers (if any) for myself. ;)

I have not tried the sweet potato/ chicken quesadilla, but I have tried a version off of oh she glows.com that uses black beans and avocados. Major deliciousness!! Have a FABULOUS Monday!

I somewhat meal plan, but I always think we’ll have more leftovers than we do haha! So I’ll think “Oh, I’ll make this on Monday, and we’ll have leftovers Tuesday and Wednesday, so I don’t need to make another meal until Thursday.” But then I forget how much my husband can eat, so I always end up going back out to the store for more food!! ;)

Haha Cody can definitely eat too. I usually make recipes that serve 6-8 when I want to be sure to have leftovers.

i don’t meal plan – i should though. i bought chicken and veggies and mushrooms this week so some time of dish involving those ingredients will be made :) :) and what a fun night with annette and jared – jealous!!

I always meal plan and to be honest would be lost without it.
    This week we have tuna wraps, a kale chili quinoa soup, coconut chickpea curry to name a few :)
    PS That Chicken Avocado Parmigian is delicous!

I also meal plan for the sake of keeping my grocery list organized and to make choosing what will be for dinner each night super easy! My favorite places to find meal ideas are Pinterest, blogs, cookbooks, magazines and websites like food network and cooking light!

Those quesadillas look amazing! Jared doesn’t love spinach OR sweet potatoes IN things. Gahhhh. But maybe I’ll make my own? I sort of meal plan–I just have to have stuff on hand, because I hate having to know ahead of time –b/c who knows what i’ll be craving? But kudos for you to having it all laid out! Last week we had like 1 meal that I made–the rest was ‘eggs’ or ‘paininis’ haha.

SUCH a fun time with you guyssssssss!!! <3 xo

Haha! You’re too funny. Sometimes I’ll switch it up… Like if I don’t feel like what I have planned for Monday, then we’ll have what I planned for Thursday on Monday. Or whatever. If anything, it’s just easier to make sure I have enough ingredients on hand. xoxo

I meal plan to get in some of my favourites…I made pumpkin baked french toast with new homemade loaf of cinnamon and raisin bread. I plan breakfasts and dinners…on the agenda this week is a new calzone, a curry, scones, muffins packed full of power and a noodle dish!

Aw what a fun weekend! Jealous you got to hang with Annette! Your meals all look super delicious this week! I may have to steal some. I really need to add in some variety.

Mmm I love it! Don’t expect it to be like your typical pizza crust, but it’s still yummy and fun to change it up a bit!

Awesome meals for the week – especially those quesadillas! I like to plan out just my dinners for the week too. This week I’m actually just having a lot of leftovers because I made butternut squash risotto and leek & potato soup over the weekend!

11. Kim says

Ive been back in the habit of doing the meal planning, and I use the same exact dry erase format as you..but try to add in breakfast and lunch as well. I think it ends up saving $$ at the grocery store instead of aimlessly wandering. Anyhow, I had some blanks in this weeks plan and totally stole some of your ideas and pinned the rest. I hope the quesadillas are as good as they look!

This week Im making minestrone http://www.itsuxtobefat.com/recipes/spicy-italian-minestrone-soup-recipe

balsamic pork chop/peaches(canned) http://cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/Balsamic-Marinated-Pork-Chops-Grilled-Peaches.aspx

and some previously made blackbean burgers http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/spicy-black-bean-burgers-with-chipotle.html

Thanks for the ideas!

Sounds like you have some good ideas! My husband always has the SAME thing for breakfast and lunch (toast for breakfast and sandwiches, an apple, & a string cheese for lunch), so as long as we have those items on hand he’s good to go. I usually just do leftovers or a salad or sandwich for lunch and have lots of oatmeal or eggs for breakfast. That being said, we don’t need a ton of items for breakfast and dinner!

Love that you have a breakfast for dinner night! That would definitely be a night I always looked forward to as well… if I actually meal planned. I’ll probably have to plan more when it comes time to cook for someone other than myself, but for now I usually just end up winging it.

I never meal planned in college when I was just cooking for myself either. It’s much easier to wing it when it’s just you!

I’m going to jump on the avocado chicken parm bandwagon. Looks amazing! Can’t wait to hear how it turns out.

I don’t meal plan…I meal PREP. Due to my hectic schedule, I cook most of my food for the week on Sunday. Last night I made an INCREDIBLE beef stew. It was melt in your mouth delicious. I should have the recipe posted later this week but just to give you an idea there was beef, jalapeno, sweet potato, and beer involved. Yum!

I love your dinner board though. I wish I had more time to do something like that. Really cute.

I meal-planned last week and kinda slacked for this week. I definitely feel less anxious (food wise) when I do meal-plan for the week, so I’m definitely doing it again next week!!

Love your scarf you wore that night with friends. I need a good infinity scarf!!

This is such a great post Ashley and hot dang woman, you are one organized chick! I would like to get better at meal planning, especially being back in school again… making stuff at the beginning of the week would work for me, or at least have the ingredients ready for dishes I plan to make later on!
    You and Annette look gorgeous in that picture, so nice you were able to hang out together :D

I meal plan to a degree- and all of your meals look great! I’ve made the cauliflower crust a few times, and I like it. It’s definitely not as good as “real” pizza, but it gets the job done.
    I love that you and Annette are friends! She is one of my first blog friends and we’ve been chatting forever, but have yet to meet! That better change in May!
    I had never heard of Cafe Rio, but one just opened in my town! I was planning on going tonight and getting a salad (just like yours!), but it’s 17 degrees out… and I didn’t feel like leaving home. I’m hoping to check it out this weekend!

I think you will love Cafe Rio! They serve huge portions, but it’s SO good and I love that all of their food is so fresh.