Week 29: Expecting More

How far along? 29 weeks! Still can’t believe I’m in the 3rd trimester.

Baby’s size? The size of an acorn squash (a large one apparently). Baby already measures about 15.2 to 16.7 inches long and weighs about 2.5 to 3.8 pounds

Total Weight Gain: Not a clue!

Stretch marks? Nope. I’ve been rubbing Burt’s Bees Belly Butter all over my belly almost every night to hopefully prevent them.

Sleep: Sleep was better this week! I think there was only one 5 AM wake up call, unlike last week when it was happening almost every day.

Best moment this week: Going through all of baby Hunter’s clothes again. We removed all the tags and started washing all of them. It was so fun to see all the adorable itty bitty clothes again!

Miss Anything? I do miss higher intensity exercise, and I’m already looking forward to running and some good sweat sessions again. And as much as I appreciate and love my body for what it’s doing right now, I would be lying if I said I didn’t miss my pre baby body. The time will come though!

Movement: There was actually a few days that Hunter didn’t move as much as usual, and I was starting to get a little concerned. Then he stepped up his game a few days ago and has been back to his usual active little self!

IMG_1054[I look tired… Because I am! Winking smile]

Food cravings: For most of my pregnancy, smoothies and ice cream haven’t been all that appealing to me which is definitely not the norm for me. (I typically LOVE my ice cream and smoothies!) Just within the past week or so though, I’ve had sudden cravings for thick and creamy smoothies or ice cream. We got frozen yogurt on Friday evening, and I’ve also been making smoothies for some of my lunches and snacks this past week.

Anything making you queasy or sick: Nope!

Gender: BOY!

Labor Signs: No labor signs, but I may have possibly experienced a few Braxton Hicks over the weekend. I’m not 100% sure though as it could’ve just been intestinal pains/gas.

Symptoms: Minor tightening in my lower abdomen; itchy belly; sore lower back; increased appetite; heartburn (pretty consistently this week too – blah!); more fatigue.

Belly Button in or out? Out! It cracks me up when I see it in the mirror or in photos.

Wedding rings on or off? Still on! I hope it stays that way. I’ve been doing as much as I can to keep down swelling. (i.e. drinking lots of water, exercising regularly, limiting salt intake, etc.)

Happy or moody most of the time: Happy! I have found myself spontaneously crying a couple times this week though. When Cody asked me what was wrong, I told him, “I don’t even know!” Haha pregnancy hormones much?!

Looking forward to: Meeting our little man…there’s not much more excitement than that! Winking smile

Sara Haley’s “Expecting More” Pregnancy Fitness DVD

I got the opportunity to try out Sara Haley’s “Expecting More” Pregnancy Fitness DVD and was excited to throw some new workouts into my pregnancy exercise routine. Within the DVD set, there are six different workouts that you can do all throughout your pregnancy. Since I’ve been taking a little break from the gym (to help save some money), most of my workouts have been done at home. This pregnancy fitness DVD was a great addition to my at home workouts!

• Synergy Workout

This is a 60 minute workout that goes through several different cardio and strength circuits. I really enjoy some of the compound movements she does for the strength circuits to maximize the time. The cardio circuits all vary in difficulty so that you get a good mix of a challenge while not over doing it. This one is one of the longer and more intense ones (in my opinion), so it’s one that I only enjoy when I have the extra time and energy.

• Sweat Strong Up

This is a 45 minute workout if you include the warm up and cool down in it, otherwise it’s just a 25 minute workout. This one primarily focuses on strength training using dumbbells and body weight while standing. This is one of my favorite ones if I’m due for some strength training.

• Sweat Strong Down

Just like the Sweat Strong Up, this is a 45 minute workout if you include the warm up and cool down in it, otherwise it’s just a 25 minute workout. This workout also focuses on strength training, but it’s all done on the floor and primarily uses body weight. A lot of the moves reminded me of Pilates as she focuses a lot on core work. This one is challenging and a great one if you like Pilates. I personally am not a huge fan of Pilates, so it’s not my favorite.

• Sweat Sport

This is a 45 minute workout that is primarily all cardio. You do a lot of sports drills (i.e. sprints, jump rope, etc.) and are moving pretty much the entire time. This one always gives me a good sweat and is definitely one of my favorites!

• Sweat Funk

This is a 45 minute workout that is all DANCE cardio. I’m honestly not much of a dancer (I do love a good dance party in my living room, but I’m certainly not a good dancer), so initially I didn’t know how I’d keep up with this one. I surprised myself and actually had a pretty good time with it. The moves are pretty simple, and she goes over them several times to make sure you have them down before moving on.

• Salutations

This is a 30 minute lower intensity workout that helps you move and just stretch everything out a bit. Initially I thought it was going to be like yoga, but I would compare it more to a low impact aerobics class. She gets you moving a bit while also doing some moves to stretch and loosen you up. I enjoy it when I’m not feeling up to doing much or when I’m tired, but I know I still need to do something.

Overall, I really enjoyed Sara Haley’s Expecting More workouts! Sara is super fun and motivating, and the workouts gave me some more variety while keeping things fun and interesting. I really like that she challenges you without going over the top, and also provides modifications if need be.

Disclaimer: All opinions stated here are 100% my own. No compensation was received to review this product.

• Are there any pregnancy fitness DVDs that you’ve tried and really enjoyed?
  • How would you describe the feeling of Braxton Hicks? When did you start experiencing them in your pregnancy?

Comments

Those Expecting More workouts sound great!! And you look so stinking adorable! I think there were a few weekend in a row when we got froyo twice each weekend. It was delicious, but our wallet was hurting after that ;)

Awww, love all these pics of your pregnancy. Makes me miss the times I was pregnant many many years ago.
    Enjoy this time!
    I’m a new follower, look forward to checking back!
    xoxo
    Roxie-Girl

3. Julie says

I’ve been doing Gabrielle Reese’s strength training DVDs and I really like them! The workouts are only 20 minutes, which is fine because most days I’m super tired and there is lots of other stuff to do.

Haha it really is!! The second trimester in particular seemed to fly by! I have a feeling these last couple months could drag a bit, but we’ll see!

I can’t believe you’re in your 3rd tri either! :) Congrats.

I’m no dancer either, but I sometimes enjoy a good dance cardio DVD at home, when the routine’s not too hard to follow of course. I know I look ridiculous, but it’s okay to look silly when no one is watching.

5. Becky says

Sweat Sport has been my favorite of the 6 too. It’s my “go to” pick.

As far as Braxton Hicks, I didn’t even know I was experiencing them until my doctor asked if I was several weeks ago. I described a really hard feeling/tightning of my belly at different times (that comes and goes) and she said that’s it. I’m not exactly sure when they started, but probably around the same point you are now. (I’m 35 weeks now)

I can’t remember exactly when I started feeling them but I think it was in the 20s week wise. It feels like your uterus is squeezing your baby or like you said a general lower abdominal tightening. I really actually didn’t mind bh they made me excited!

I don’t think I experienced too many Braxton Hicks before having Nia, which was good but at the same time, I had NO idea what to expect!! Pregnancy is such a funny thing – so many things to consider, but blind as heck to know what it is haha!!! DVD looks great!!

8. Amanda N says

You look so great! Thanks for the review of the pregnancy workout. I just purchased a prenatal yoga DVD last week but haven’t had a chance to try it out yet. I’ll share it when I do! I’m 15 (almost 16) weeks and while I’m not really showing a baby “bump” yet my shirts are certainly fitting tighter. Exercising makes me feel great. I’ve been running, doing yoga, and some other regular workout DVDs with modifications.

You look SO cute and tiny still. You must be getting excited to be inching so close! Hope you continue to get some decent sleep. I am just 3.5 months, and already not sleeping so well. I hear the last month can get a little rough, so sleep sleep sleep now!

Thank you Crystal! I am getting very excited. :) My sleep has gone in waves throughout my pregnancy… Some weeks are terrible and others are great. You just have to take advantage of the great weeks!

You already look like a mom :) I think you’re going to love looking back through all these blog posts in a few years and remember the excitement of your first baby!

11. Joi @ Rx Fitness Lady says

You look lovely as always! You’re coming along great. I can’t imagine myself with pregnancy hormones…I’m a train wreck as it is with AF! Have fun with the new DVD, you’ll be back to business as usual in no time.

12. ErikaMC says

That video looks/sounds really good for pregnancy. I just did my own thing while pregnant but I would have liked to have had a video to follow – next time.

Ha – I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 15″ long acorn squash!

Two days after I found out I was pregnant I started rubbing Vitamin E on my belly every morning and Cocoa Butter on every night – maybe it was just a coincidence but I didn’t get any stretch marks.

You’ll know you have Braxton Hicks when you’re tummy gets tight.

That sounds like a great pregnanct DVD. I tried a pregnancy yoga dvd when i was pregnant with my first baby and it was SO boring and not a workout at all. I got more of a workout washing dishes. I like that this looks a little intense at least! You’re pregnancy seems to be flying by (to me at least!)

That was one of the reasons I actually really like this DVD – she actually challenges you and I work up a sweat on most of the workouts.

Braxton Hicks contractions felt like cramping to me. I started feeling them around 28 weeks. The last couple of weeks they were more intense and started to kind of hurt. However, there is no mistaken BH and real contractions. I didn’t believe the nurse when she said that but it is so true haha.

Hahaha I love that we both said we looked tired in our photos this week … too funny! ;) I think we’re feeling slightly less movement because they’re getting so big in there. So rather than doing flips, they’re just able to ‘bump’ us a little haha. So fun!

16. Momma says

I had Braxton Hicks from about the 5th month on – just a tightening of the abdomen. It never hurt, just felt a little weird. It felt really strange NOT to have them after you (& Brent) were born. I have to agree with all the comments here about how beautiful and glowing you look (tired or not). Get your sleep on now, sweetie. That heartburn and “gotta pee” times just seem to increase. I just can’t wait to meet Mr. Hunter!! Aren’t those baby clothes precious?!!? I love you, sweet baby girl!!

Oh thank you! It’s already getting to be time to cut it and highlight it again! It’s been growing like crazy.