Week 31: Third Trimester Thoughts

How far along? 31 weeks!

Baby’s size? The size of a pineapple – about 15.2 – 16.7 inches long and weighs about 2.5 – 3.8 pounds. He’s getting so BIG! Crazy!

Total Weight Gain: 22 pounds at the doc’s office this morning – right on track

Stretch marks? Surprisingly no, considering my stomach just keeps going out and out and out!

Sleep: Overall it wasn’t the best this week, but I suppose it could’ve been worse. I’ve been getting up multiple times to pee, I wake up hungry sometimes, and a big basketball on my belly doesn’t exactly make getting comfortable super easy.

Best moment this week: This morning when I heard from my doctor that baby Hunter’s heartbeat and all my measurements were perfect. That always makes me so happy to hear!

Miss Anything? Normal clothes, running (especially since the weather has been so nice this week), and sleeping on my stomach.

Movement: I got a swift kick in the ribs for the first time this week! That tells me he’s definitely getting bigger and stronger in there.

31weeks

[My hair is gradually fading a little bit… Thank goodness. We’ll see how it looks next week. Winking smile]

Food cravings: On Saturday I was craving lemonade like it was nobody’s business. Totally random, but oh so refreshing. My love for PB&J continues too.

Anything making you queasy or sick: I got a little bit of an upset stomach on Thursday morning, but nothing other than that.

Gender: BOY!

Labor Signs: Nope!

Symptoms: Feeling hungry constantly… I never feel like I can pack enough food on my work days, and I wake up hungry during the night sometimes. I’ve had some round ligament pain this week, along with some possible Braxton Hicks. I find myself getting out of breath easier, even if I’m just talking. He must be squishing my lungs in there! And I’m peeing A LOT – it’s rather annoying actually. I can’t sit or stand for very long otherwise my lower back gets sore, so I’m constantly moving. I experienced some leg cramps in the middle of the night as well, which apparently is just another one of the many pregnancy symptoms. Other than that, just feeling a little more tired and fatigued which has pretty much been the norm the last couple weeks.

Belly Button in or out? Out!

Wedding rings on or off? Still on!

Happy or moody most of the time: Happy! Smile My emotions randomly get the best of me at times though. I busted out in tears last night as we were watching an episode of Brothers & Sisters. It wasn’t just a little tear or two either… It was like full on balling. It was actually pretty comical. Cody and I had a good laugh about it after the fact.

Looking forward to: Meeting our little man! Nothing could make me more excited than that!

Third Trimester Thoughts:

My stomach just keeps growing straight out and out and out. How in the world is this going to continue for two more months?! I suppose it’s better than me getting WIDER though, right?

I’m scared to death of labor and delivery… Think of it rationally Ashley – millions of other women have done it before, so can you.

But seriously, how is this 7-8 pound baby going to get out of me?! Ahhh crazy.

Where is all of this FOOD going?! You’d think I would be an elephant by now with how much I’m putting down these days.

Ahh I can hardly wait to meet little baby Hunter!

It’s so crazy to think there’s actually a BABY in my stomach. Just crazy.

I wonder what he’ll look like?!

Before and at the beginning of pregnancy, it was always so surreal to imagine my belly so big, and now here I am… You can’t miss it, that’s for sure!

I feel like I just ran five miles with how out of breath I am! Sheesh.

I can’t wait to see Cody hold Hunter for the first time. I’m sure it’ll be a moment I’ll never forget.

Baby Hunter, Doctor says you just have to hang on for a minimum of three more weeks and then you’re free to come out. I would have NO problem with that.

Holy crap, he could come in THREE weeks?!

I can’t wait to be a mom. I already know it’ll be the best thing ever.

I hope breastfeeding works for us. I really, really do.

Why am I so tired?!?!

Ok, seriously, I just ate and now I’m hungry again. How does that even happen?

Ahh my stomach is sooo itchy!

Where in the world did my ab muscles go?! I swear I have none these days with how difficult it is to get up and down from the couch and bed.

I hope I’m a good mom…

Why does it seem like everyone is staring at me? There must be something intriguing about pregnant women.

• What were some of your thoughts throughout your third trimester?
  • Did your first baby come early, on time, or late?

Comments

1. Brooke Williams says

During the 3rd trimester, I started to freak out about the labor part. It was all a little overwhelming to think about. And I was so excited to actually meet our baby but of course all the same questions of am I going to be a good mom and how will I know what to do once she gets here, came up. After she came out, I asked all my mom friends, why they didn’t tell me that this was what it was going to be like. But there is no way to put it all into words. It’s something you can only experience. Grace came about a week early but that because a nurse at the doctors office kick started my labor for me. It was crazy! Thank The Lord she did because Grace was close to 9 pounds. I can’t imagine how big she would have been if she had stayed in until her due date or past. You’re going to be a great mom:)

Thank you so much for sharing this Brooke! I’m glad little Grace came out happy and healthy! How did your nurse kickstart your labor?!

• Brooke Williams says

She did something called stripping my membrane. It was pretty painful and not super fun but I was already 3 cm along. That was Friday afternoon and I went home with cramps the rest of the night and my water broke the next morning and she was born on Saturday afternoon:) it worked

2. lauren says

Love hearing your thoughts! You’re still looking amazing :) I can’t imagine how excited you must be with only 3-9 weeks left!
    I’m just over 17 weeks and counting down ’til we find out the sex 2 weeks from tomorrow. Are you taking any sort of childbirth classes or have you read any books about it? I’m pretty horrified of that part, but like you said, so many women have done this – so I know it is possible and the cute little baby at the end will help me forget quickly!! Right?…

I’ve been reading What to Expect When You’re Expecting, but we are also taking a childbirth class at the beginning of March.

If you think you are hungry now, wait until you are breastfeeding a 3-6 month old. Holy moly, hunger gets INSANE! And I think as long as you have it in your mind you WILL breastfeed and keep at it, it will work out. My lactation consultant told me 99.5 % of women have the capability to breastfeed and have plently of milk they just THINK they cant. How else did babies survive before formula was invented? Not that I judge people for formula feeding at all, it jsut works out better for some, but its rarely a matter of physically not being able to. As a mom, its the most rewarding thing for me and am so sad I am going to be weaning my almost 18 month old soon.

Wow wow wow girl! You are looking so gorgeous! I swear that if I saw you from behind, I wouldn’t even know you are pregnant.. ;) I worry about labor and delivery for myself someday as well, but I like your rational that millions of other women have done it, why can’t we too?! :)

5. Brandi says

Dont let that stinker come out in 3 weeks! Anything under 35 weeks goes straight to nicu (at least where i work) and anything less than 37 weeks has more testing (poking heels, carseat studies). Bake lil Hunter at least 6 more :)

6. Sarah says

Haha, I really enjoyed this post! I have a lot of those same thoughts and we share a lot of symptoms too. I’m almost 27 weeks and not getting enough sleep is really starting to bother me. I’m hoping for at least a few more good ones before my little guy gets here.

You are so dang beautiful! And have such a cute baby belly! I think your thoughts are completely normal! Isn’t it so weird that you have no clue what your baby will look like haha, my friend is 8 1/2 months pregnant! and I find it so odd, but obviously you can’t tell what your child will look like…so fun to imagine! okay, that made no sense, so I’ll stop typing here;)

You’re so sweet, thanks Lisa! Haha I totally get what you’re saying. Trust me, I’ve had those exact thoughts. ;)

I think your hair looks great! And OH threw rib pain at the end! I seriously put ice packs on my ribs sometimes, youch. Love your thoughts, you’ll be a wonderful mom!! I’m getting do excited for you!

Ahh I remember the itchy stomach!!! Soo annoying, haha. You’re right–motherhood WILL be the best thing ever! And don’t worry about L&D at allllll…no matter what happens (and you’ll do great!!), it’s only one day, and then it’s over. Better to focus on prepping for the actual baby part! :) Hang in there, momma! You look beautiful!

10. Veronika says

Love your third trimester thoughts! I have been thinking the SAME thing about labor and delivery- millions of women have done it and they’ve survived. I too can’t wait to see what my little girl will look like.

11. Michelle says

It is so exciting to be following along with you!!! I can’t wait to see what he looks like! Weird question: Are you able to tell if he has hair yet from sonograms?

P.S. This is Michelle from betterwithberries :-) I have kind of let the blog fall to the wayside for a while!

We’ve only had two sonograms – one at 8 weeks and one at 21 weeks. He literally looked like a bean at the 8 week one, and we couldn’t see anything that resembled hair at 21 weeks. That being said, it’ll be a surprise! :)

12. Amanda N says

Glad to see everything is going well with you and baby! I think a lot of your thoughts and concerns are normal and even though I’m a little over 10 weeks behind you I’m thinking these things already! (how am I supposed to deliver a baby??) One of my friends is also pregnant and was experience leg cramping during the evenings – her midwife recommend she get more potassium (she doesn’t like bananas) by drinking smart water (has potassium and other stuff I guess). She drinks 2 bottles of smart water a day and said it has really helped with he cramping.

I’ve heard potassium can be a reason for cramping. I feel like I do a pretty good job with getting it in though, so I’m just continuing to eat my bananas and drinking lots of water! ;)

Time is flying by — I feel like you just started writing these posts! I would be scared to death of labor and delivery too. I’m glad you’re going through it first so I can read all about it ;). But seriously, think of all of the women who do it, over and over and over again. It can’t be as bad as people make it out to be!

I think it’s so funny that we seem to be carrying in exactly the same way! We are both just going straight out! And I think we debunked the old wives’ tale about girls carrying one way and boys the other, because you’re having a boy and I’m having a girl! ;)

Oh and um, what the heck are you talking about, regarding the fact that he could come in 3 weeks?? Don’t freak me out!

I think you’re carrying a little higher than me though, but yes both of us are going straight out! :) And nooo don’t freak out!

15. Krystan says

1. I like the hair color on you…though I almost agree with you that the blond was too blond and I think a little lighter brown would look even better, but I definitely think brown looks cute on you! 2. I still cant believe you are about to pop! 3. I feel you on the baby bump…here I am 16ish weeks (give or take the doctors cant decide lol) and I just getting a bump. I still don’t believe there is a baby in there, unless I go to the doctor and hear a heartbeat. 4. Im totally with you on labor (though I have since learned that delivery is not actually the painful part. everything leading up to it is) and I keep telling myself the same thing (and women in other countries do it way less comfortably and not as safely) so WE CAN DO IT!!

Thanks… Hopefully it’ll lighten to more of my natural color, and I just won’t have to worry about it. The last two hair appointments I’ve had make me never want to color my hair again! Ha!

Aw, I adore this post! I seriously love reading about pregnancies evene though I’ve never been/am not planning to be any time soon. I absolutely love your pregnancy thoughts for this week and I actually teared up when you said you can’t wait to see your husband hold the baby. Wow! That’s a moment I can’t wait for if/when I become a mom.

You are so far along now! You still look beautiful and radiant! I can relate to so many of these thoughts about the third trimester: eating more than I could imagine and still getting hungry an hour later, couldn’t wait to meet my baby and see what she looked like, worried about breastfeeding because I really wanted to do it ( and it came so naturally to both baby and me btw ), so excited for my husband to hold her. My daughter was born 6 days before her due date. :)

If you’re scared of labor and are planning unmedicated, I recommend the DVD “Birth Class In A Box”. It was really helpful for me and my husband. I was able to make it through a 55 hour labor (back labor) without any pain medication.

18. Kelly says

I absolutely LOVE your “third trimester thoughts”. Put a smile on my face and made me chuckle. And don’t worry-you’re going to be a great mom :)

I know I say this every week, but you are really the cutest pregnant lady! And your hair looks great! I think not being able to sleep on my stomach would bother me the most, no matter where I start I always end up on my stomach when I’m sleeping.

I always love to read pregnancy updates. Makes me think back to when I was. You look great btw. I was all belly during my pregnancy. I’d turn around and people would be “whoa!” No stretch marks either. Woohoo! :) Your little guy will be here before you know it!

21. Liz says

I love all your blog posts!! You are adorable and especially pregnant! I’ve never been there before so can’t compare at all. Also that hair color looks awesome on you and I’m a hairstylists ;)

22. Becky says

My belly itched like crazy, too. I started lathering on Cocoa Butter (in lotion form – pump bottle) in the morning and night after my shower (I shower at night). Then, before bed, I lather on the Cocoa Butter that comes in the tub (has a thicker – chapstick like – texture). It’s helped tremendously. Try it out if you need something.

23. Leslie says

Oh my gosh your thoughts are SO what I’m going through at 30 weeks. Especially the last one, I am NOT confrontational at all, but when people stare so blatantly at me or my belly I want to ask them if they’d like to take a picture. I can’t be the first pregnant woman they’ve ever seen!!!

Today I’m 31 weeks. Love this post! All those thoughts are so applicable to me right now. I read the one where you said “he could come in 3 weeks” and my heart jumped. HOLY COW! That really gets me thinking. I would like my baby boy to bake for another two months please! Like I have any control over that haha!!