WIAW #77: Chicken Sausage, Squash, & Quinoa Skillet

Good morning!

Let’s talk some food today, shall we?! Food is one of my favorite things after all. Winking smile We’ll cover my eats from yesterday in honor of What I Ate Wednesday (aka WIAW).

Peas and Crayons

I tell ya, yesterday was a whirlwind of a day! I felt like I blinked and it was suddenly nighttime. I don’t know how it happened, but I still managed to get in some tasty meals and snacks so let’s take a look!

breakfast – 7:30 AM

I had a sudden craving for some sort of banana bread Sunday evening, so I turned to one of the recipes I’ve been wanting to try and made this Fluffy Flax, Fruit, & Veggie Bread in muffin form. Oh my gosh. It’s my new favorite quick bread recipe for sure. I froze half of the muffins for when Hunter gets here, but we plowed through the rest of them these last few days. Needless to say, I had two for breakfast yesterday morning – one topped with some real butter and the other topped with natural crunchy peanut butter. Oh, and a mug of milk to wash it down. Yum. I’m wondering if the ones I froze will make it until Hunter gets here…

mid morning snack – 10:00 AM

My breakfast wasn’t super protein packed, so I was pretty hungry just a couple hours later. I had a small bowl of Kashi Go Lean Crunch topped with strawberries and milk. A satisfying snack indeed!

lunch – 12:30 PM

I had a leftover Portabello Mushroom Wrap from dinner the night before with a side of two clementines. These wraps are darn tasty! I used P28 Flatbread Wraps that are packed with extra protein making these wraps pretty filling too.

snack – 3:30 PM

I was hangry by the time I got home from running some errands, so I went for one of my favorite easy snacks – a banana and peanut butter.

dinner – 7:00 PM

Quick side note… Has anyone else been eating dinner a little later since the the time change? I used to have dinner on the table by about 6 PM, but the last couple weeks it seems like it’s been closer to the 7:00 hour.

So let me just tell you, this dinner I’m about to share has to be one of the easiest, yet tastiest, dinners ever. I pretty much just threw a few things in a skillet and hoped it would turn out, and turn out it did! Cody and I were both big fans of this meal!

Chicken Sausage, Squash, & Quinoa Skillet

Servings: About 4-6

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 15-20 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 box Near East Roasted Red Pepper & Basil Quinoa Blend

• 1 acorn squash (butternut would work well too)
  • 4 apple chicken sausage links, chopped into bite size pieces
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

1. Cook quinoa brown rice blend according to directions on box.
  2. While quinoa brown rice blend is cooking, peel and chop acorn squash into bite size pieces.
  3. Add squash and chicken sausage to skillet. Cook on medium until squash is soft and chicken sausage is cooked through.
  4. Add quinoa brown rice blend, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to skillet with squash and chicken sausage. Stir it all together.
  5. Pour a little water into the skillet and cover. Let cook on medium-low for about 5 minutes.
  6. Serve and enjoy!

This easy and delicious meal will definitely be a repeat in our house!

Surprisingly, I didn’t have an evening snack other than a small handful of dark chocolate chips. My appetite has been all over the place lately. Oh well, I just roll with it!

• What’s one of your favorite super easy dinners?
  • Do you tend to follow recipes or just throw ingredients together?

Comments

I’m pretty bad at it too, but I’ve been trying lately to stock up a bit for when the babe comes. It’s not working so far though… We keep eating it all! Haha.

That breakfast bread looks so good! I also love the huge jar of peanut butter behind the banana. I love stocking up on nut butter at costco. I wish my favorite flavor raw maple almond butter came in huge jars like that!

Chicken sausage is one of my favorite proteins to have on a fast dinner night, so flavorful and yummy! Whenever it goes on sale I make sure to stock up and freeze some. I love adding it to pasta dishes with tomato sauce (and Greek yogurt mixed in) and veggies. Delicious!

I’m pretty sure it’s in most major grocery stores over by the other sausage meat. I’ve bought a few different brands, but I believe this one was Johnsonville.

3. Amelia says

Love the jar of pb in the background of the banana snack pic. :)

TJ’s just started carrying an organic crunchy that I picked up to try. I haven’t opened it yet, but they say its mighty tasty! You have me hooked with pb for a bedtime snack!

I made some double dark chocolate banana bread bites Saturday that I have been snacking on since. They didn’t stand a chance to head to the freezer. We killed the batch of 25 fast!

Banana and peanut butter is one of my very favorite snacks! Our favorite super easy dinner is salmon on the grill with a side of roasted veggies and a salad. It’s a team effort! I’m guessing the muffins will last until Hunter arrives since you’ve already frozen them. You’ll make something new and yummy before getting them out of the freezer.

Banana and PB is the best combo ever!!! I usually plan out my dinners! My favorite easy dinner is a microwaved sweet plato with pb, egg whites, cinnamon, and a boca burger….sounds weird but the sweet and savory taste are soo good! I am a college freshmen so all I have is my microwave to work with! It is a struggle!

Later dinners have definitely happened for me recently though we have yet to change time around here. :) Even without it the evenings are already longer.
    I’m still jealous of you being able to get tasty strawberries ;).

Yum! I’ve made a quinoa skillet just like that before but added kale and goat cheese and it was delicious! Love the sausage and butternut squash combo! I’ve been hearing great things about those P28 wraps. I’m going to have to try them!

I feel like my family would LOVE that skillet dish! Okay, maybe just my mom and I but that’s half the clan so good enough. Glad you are having a healthy and happy pregnancy!