WIAW #80: What I’ve Been Eating Lately

Hello!

I hope everyone’s week is off to a great start! Ours started out a little rough on Monday due to a long Sunday night, but we are doing better as the week goes on. A little sleep and some sunshine does a world of a difference!

As I mentioned last week, most of my eats lately have been all about convenience. When you’re feeding, changing, rocking, and pumping around the clock, it leaves very little time for preparing food. However, it’s also very important that I’m getting adequate calories and nutrition since I’m breastfeeding. I’ve pretty much been rotating around some of the same foods these last couple weeks. I find them to be satisfying, easy, and (mostly) nutritious.

Peas and Crayons

PB&J on Toast

This does great as a midnight snack, part one of my breakfast, or a mid afternoon snack. I usually pair it with a glass of milk too.

Cereal

Cereal isn’t usually the nutritionally best food in the book, but it’s not the worst either. It’s so easy to throw some in a bowl, add some milk or yogurt, and call it good!

Trail mix

I mentioned this one last week… It’s still a favorite! So much so that I made a special trip to the grocery store just for trail mix. Winking smile

Odwalla Bars

I am loving these bars for an on-the-go snack. They are packed with super foods and they don’t have any artificial sugars or ingredients.

Smoothies

This is where a good chunk of my produce has been coming from lately. I pack my smoothies with frozen fruit (my favorite lately has been strawberries, pineapple, and banana), spinach, Greek yogurt, and milk.

Oatmeal

I’ve been cooking quick oats in the microwave and adding some fruit and nut butter for an easy breakfast most mornings. Supposedly oatmeal is a natural way to help increase milk supply, plus it’s easy and delicious, so why not?!

Frozen Veggies

These are so easy to throw in the microwave and add to any meal for some extra veggies.

There you have it! Some of my go-to eats as of lately. I have a feeling they’ll be sticking around for the next few weeks until we get into a little bit more of a schedule around here. By the way, this is proof that eating healthy can be easy and quick if need be! Winking smile

Have a wonderful day!

• What are your go-to quick and easy snacks or meals?
  • What kind of oats do you buy? Quick, old fashioned, steel cut, etc?

Comments

Such an inspiration to everyone out there to eat healthy while being extremely busy! Hoping Hunter is doing well :) Maybe some more naps will be in your future!

I am a quick oats kind of girl! I don’t even have enough time to cook them besides the 60 seconds in the microwave :) Call me lazy, but I call it time saving! :)

My quick snacks are Clif bars, as well as cereal! Love cereal!!

Hunter is having a pretty good week! We’ve both had some great naps, so for that I am thankful! I love Clif bars too!

If I’m in a hurry, I just steam them and sprinkle them with a little salt and pepper. Otherwise if I have more time, I’ll steam them, cut them in half, season with garlic powder, salt, & pepper, and roast them in the oven. Roasted is my favorite!

2. Amanda N says

I can only do certain veggies frozen…some just don’t taste the same. I go with quick oats for most things but I always have old fashioned oats on hand too. One of my favorite snacks throughout the whole pregnancy so far has been apples! I usually have a small piece of cheese or some peanut butter with it.

Oatmeal is my favorite breakfast, I always buy old fashioned oats and partially cook them at night and then just reheat in the morning. Trail mix is an excellent, tasty and quick snack and I can understand a trip to the store just for more!

Definitely true! When you’re determined to eat healthy it’s 100% possible, no matter how strapped for time you are. Smoothies are one of my favorite ways to get produce in too, frozen fruit lasts a lot longer than the fresh stuff so I don’t have to worry about using it all up in time.

5. Amelia says

Hard boiled eggs, trail mix, white bean and basil TJ’s dip, any kind of veg or fruit, nut butter off the spoon, cuties, turkey deli meat in a wrap. I’ve been loving quick oats mixed with oat ran lately. It’s extra creamy! Oh, and coconut butter on cinnamon raisin toast or waffles is DELISH!! :)

Even though you are exhausted and busy you are still managing to eat so healthy. You are amazing. :) I think when you are used to eating healthy it comes naturally!

Frozen veggies definitely help us add veggies to any meal quickly.

I buy both quick oats and old fashioned oats. I like quick oats for a quick snack, but there are some things old fashioned oats are simply better. :)

I buy big bags of gluten free oats from Trader Joe’s & use ‘em to make my own “power bars” at home. I can’t have a lot of the fruits & sugars in store-bought bars. I gave one of mine to a friend & now she wants more for her 3am breastfeeding sessions. So I guess they are pretty tasty!

I also love to soak the oats overnight & then throw them in the rice cooker in the morning. Topped with chia seed, almond butter & frozen blueberries & you’ve got a fast & DELISH breakfie! :D

My go to snacks are pb&j sandwiches, almond butter and apple slices, smoothies and greek yogurt. Meals are soups, grilled cheese, veggies and hummus sandwiches usually.
    I buy regular usually but we also have steel cut.

I am glad the smoothies are working out so well, they are definitely my fav quick go-to meal/snack! I also love pretty much everything you included in your list. A perfect quick dinner is definitely whole wheat pasta, a bag of frozen broccoli steamed and added on top, then covered in a jar of marinara sauce. Feeds a crowd and takes less than 10 minutes to make! :)

Good to know about the oatmeal – I will definitely be trying that as soon as my milk comes in! I know drinking a lot of water also helps :)

Agreed – no time is little excuse for eating healthy (even though I use it all the time). There are options if you get creative!

Frozen veggies are a lifesaver for me, too. Back when caring for a newborn, and now when a toddler demands to be fed RIGHT NOW.

ahhh nice job keeping up with eating your veggies even throughout the busy-ness. Brussel sprouts are some of my favorite vegetables and I love to dip ‘em in a mix of mustard and ketchup! :D And I ALWAYS buy old fashioned oats and oooonce in a while some steel cut/scottish oats, but it’s pricier so I only get it sometimes, hehe.

13. lauren says

I like old fashioned oats because they’re thicker/chewier. I went almost a year without eating them, but I’m glad they’re back in my life!
    My favorite really quick meals are breakfast foods, cereal, toast, egg sandwich or an omelet. My favorite sort of quick meals are slightly random casseroles, I’ve got a makeshift ground turkey and quinoa taco bake waiting for me in the fridge at home!

I have heard oats are a good way to increase milk supply and I was so so happy to hear that because I eat them daily! Either overnight oats or added in my smoothies!!

Loving your quick and yummy eats! Glad you are enjoying the bars too! <3

I hope you are getting a little more sleep now a days. I love seeing your pics of the little guy! My best easy snacks are granola and yogurt. I have it everyday and I always look forward to it. As far as oatmeal, I like both quick oats and old fashion. I am easy peasy!

Hey, I wanted to post this on your post about b/feeding your little one a few days ago and my ipod kept crashing. Ugh. Anyway I just thought I’d quickly post here.
    I had premie twins and one was in the NICU for awhile also. I was also determined to b/f and had major difficulties. Mine didn’t latch, would fall asleep, needed a nipple shield. I had to pump and supplement with a tube through a nipple shield- crazy nightmare. I swear I didn’t sleep for 6 weeks.

Anyway, long story short- hang in there it gets so much easier all of a sudden and once it does you don’t have to worry and it is just easy. Mine both got the hang of it completely by 9 weeks old. It is sooo much easier than waking up , heating bottles, sterilising bottles etc… SO if you want to keep with nursing, go for it, it seems impossible now but you’ll get there. If it becomes too hard and you want to stop too, don’t be hard on yourself! You’re doing the best by your little man! However, you feed him he will adore you and you will adore him and really that is all that matters in the end!

If you have any questions and don’t know who to ask feel free to email me, also there kelly mom and la leche league online are really helpful.

I hope you didn’t find that too advicey or annoying. Just wanted to say I know how hard it is and you’re doing wonderfully!

Thank you so much for your encouragement – not annoying at all! :) We’re hanging in there… It’s slowly but surely getting better, so hopefully that continues!