My Day with a 9 Week Old Baby

Good morning!

I’ve been wanting to do a “day in the life” type post for a few weeks now, but just never got around to it until now. Plus, our days varied SO much up until Hunter was about 6-7 weeks old. At that point, we finally started getting into a little bit more of a “schedule” (I still say that loosely though!). As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I’ve been reading and following the Baby Wise method. In a nutshell, Hunter eats about every 2.5 – 3.5 hours, plays for about 20-30 minutes until he gets a little fussy, naps for 1-2 hours, and then we start all over again. I’ve learned that the key to this is ensuring that Hunter gets a full feeding each time. He can be good at “snacking”, so I have to be extra annoying at times to ensure he eats enough. When he eats better, it leads to better naps, which leads to better eating, which leads to longer stretches of sleep at night, so it’s totally worth it!

Here’s what our day looked like yesterday!

6:00 AM

I hear Hunter crying in the monitor. I go into his nursery, unswaddle him, and feed him as soon as possible. He is HANGRY.

6:45 AM

Cody and the pups play with Hunter on his play mat. I watch them while I start my coffee, whip up a smoothie, and eat a toasted waffle topped with peanut butter.

7:15 AM

Hunter starts to get fussy, so I change his diaper, change him out of his pajamas, swaddle him up, turn on the white noise, and place him in his swing. He snoozes for a good hour and a half while I sip on my coffee, do my devotions, catch up on some blogs, and write my afternoon blog post.

8:45 AM

Hunter starts crying, so I go into his nursery to unswaddle him, change his diaper, and bring him into the living room to feed him.

9:15 AM

I talk to him for awhile, get a few smiles out of him, and we do tummy time for a bit.

9:45 AM

He starts to fuss, so he gets swaddled up, and zonks out in his swing. I get dressed into my workout clothes and do my Summer Shape Up workout for the day. It takes me about an hour to do workout 1 + the HIIT run. I was one sweaty mess after that one!

Then I change out our bath towels and sheets on our bed. I eat a quick lunch before I hear Hunter stirring.

12:15 PM

Another diaper change, feeding, and burp session.

12:45 PM

Hunter smiles away in his bouncer while I get things together for the grocery store and start some laundry.

1:00 PM

We head out to the grocery store to stock up our empty fridge and pantry. Hunter snoozes most of the time in his car seat on the cart while I shopped. Hunter kept sleeping away, so I decided to stop by the UPS store to send off a package.

3:00 PM

We get home from our errands, and I put away groceries.

3:15 PM

Hunter wakes up. I feed and burp him, and change his diaper.

4:00 PM

We talk, do tummy time, and play on his play mat.

4:30 PM

Hunter goes down for another nap while I work on this blog post. I also finally take a shower. I feel bad for all of those people that had to smell me at the store! Ha!

6:30 PM

Cody and I eat a quick and simple dinner of BLTA (bacon-lettuce-tomato-avocado) sandwiches, roasted sweet potato wedges, and steamed asparagus as I hear Hunter start to cry from his nursery. I scarf down the rest of my food and then feed and burp Hunter.

7:00 PM

I give Hunter a bath, rock him for a few minutes while we listen to a couple lullabies, and say good night.

8:00 PM

Relaxation time for mom and dad! I snack on some cereal, we watch an episode of Brothers & Sisters on Netflix, chat about our days, and read for a bit.

10:00 PM

Dream feed Hunter.

10:30 PM

Bed time for mama!

6:00 AM

Our day starts all over again!

What are your days like? Do you have the same routine everyday or does it change?

Comments

Oh it takes awhile and it definitely takes some patience, but I personally think it’s way worth it!

That schedule seems to be working well! He is just a cutie pie. I cannot express to you how much I love that you take him out and about! I know so many new moms that are like fearful to take their child out. In fact, both of my neighbors. We saw the newborns like once between their first birthday. Ridiculous!

Sounds like a great schedule!! Tyler is taking thursday off so there are some things I wanna do that day to make some changes!! I should really head to the library too and pick up some baby books. I just feel like I get overwhelmed with all the information out there!!

I still need to attempt that summer shape-up workout! If I can get coffee in me, then I might today! haha

Good for you! I know what you mean about feeling overwhelmed. I got so stressed out early on because I was reading so many conflicting things and I didn’t know what to do. But I finally just made a decision on one thing and stuck with it. Cody and I both like schedules and routine, and several of our friends had great success with Baby Wise, so we ended up going with that. I also implement “the 5 S’s” from The Happiest Baby on the Block. You just have to do what works for you guys though!

Well he’s only been sleeping that long since we’ve been home from AZ, so it’s only been a few nights now. One of the nights I was able to sleep that long… the other few nights I would wake up for miscellaneous reasons – most of the time because I was worried about Hunter since he slept so long! Hopefully I’ll start getting used to it so I can sleep peacefully that long too!

Love this post! During the week my routine is about the same, usually something like this – wake-up, get ready, work, lunch, work, gym/workout, supper, clean up, blog, TV/read and bedtime.

4. Suzanne says

Wow!! What a great schedule!!! I remember with my first born, he only used to sleep 20-30 mins at a time!!! :( I’m due with twins in the fall, and hopefully, they will both be just like Hunter! He’s so precious!!! Great job Momma!

5. carly71722 says

Really sounds like you have a schedule! Nice work :) Any tips on how you got him on a schedule? I know with my twins coming its going to be CRAZY, but I definitely need to get them on a schedule because they will be going to daycare by 8-10 weeks old! yikes!

If you are wanting to get a schedule down, I’d def recommend reading the book Baby Wise. It even had a chapter in there for multiples. ;) My main things are STICKING to it (be consistent!) and work on making sure your babies get full feedings. The book has a ton of great tips though!

It sounds like you are doing great! You’re schedule is pretty good… much better than mine and I have a 13 week old. Aiden will not nap! I put him to sleep probably 10 times in a day and he’ll sleep for about 10-20 minutes is all and it’s usually in my arms. I go to bed at about 8:30-9 and my husband keeps him until 10:30 or so when he’ll finally sleep for about 4 hours. Ai Yi Yi… I’m jealous! Good thing I love my little guy.

7. Karen says

Does he sleep from 8pm-6am? I’m in week 5 and I dream feed around 11pm and my daughter wakes up at 3am and then is up for the day around 6:30 or 7am. From what I’ve heard I’m pretty lucky that she’s only up once at night (she wakes up, gets a diaper change, eats and goes right back to sleep) BUT I can’t wait until the 3am feed is a thing of the past!

Depends on the night! Sometimes he’ll wake up a little earlier than 6. I notice that if we don’t stick to the schedule as well or if he doesn’t nap well during the day that he doesn’t sleep as well at night. I think the 3 am wake up for your little one is pretty normal for that age. Hunter was doing that up until just this week! I’ve heard that right around 8-10 weeks, that middle of the night feeding is sometimes dropped.

Oh I love this post because it reminds me of my maternity leave with Luke (who is now 13 months!). And how wonderful the swaddle was!! I also love the pic of him on his play mat with Dad and the dog right there!! Good job getting in the SSU workout. It was always a good day if I could get in a workout while the baby was napping.

great job with the schedule!! I hope if I ever have kids I can get a schedule like yours :)
    Michelle and I try to keep a schedule but sometimes we get off it and just wing it!

I love the photos of your son, so cute! It seems like your life is very busy right now. I haven’t started a family, but I imagine it can been exhausting, at least when the children are babies.

11. Amanda N says

Love this post and I think I will share it with my husband. Neither of us were around newborns (or babies) very much never mind having to care for them. I imagine getting into a schedule takes some work but nice to see its manageable. I think having a whole days perspective will give him a better glimpse into our soon to be future :)

I’d definitely encourage your husband to take a look. My husband (as well as myself) were clueless!

Wow it sounds like I’m doing Baby Wise without even realizing it?! Baby Julian is 4 weeks old and does pretty much the same routine as your little guy. I noticed too that our whole day will be off if he doesn’t get in a full feeding so whenever he starts to get lazy or falls asleep at the boob I make sure to keep waking him up (tickle his feet!) to get in that full feeding so that we have a great day of eat, play, sleep routine….it’s the best! And when did Hunter start sleeping through the night?! Ahhh I can’t wait for that day…although last night Julian slept from 9pm-2am which was pretty awesome in giving me 5 hours of straight sleep! And is Hunter sleeping in his crib yet? Julian is sleeping in his rock n play and I’m dreading for the day we have to transition him to his crib. And what kind of swing do you have? We got a hand me down which doesn’t work very well and I really want to get a new one soon :)

Haha that’s awesome you’re already doing it! :) It totally works, right?! Hunter just started sleeping through the night this week (at 9 weeks), which I think is pretty normal. They say babies still need a nighttime feeding before 8 weeks, so if Julian is only waking up once in the middle of the night, that’s still great! I bet he’ll be sleeping through the night in no time! Hunter still sleeps in his swing… I hope to transition him to his crib in the next few weeks, but I’m a little anxious about it, especially since sleeping has been going so well lately. We have a Fisher Price Cradle Swing – I LOVE it! The only thing I wish is that it plugged into the wall. My MIL got it for us, and it’s battery powered, so we’ve been going through batteries like crazy. I’m pretty sure they make a plug-in version though. I highly recommend it because it swings both ways (side-to-side and forward and back). Hunter loves the side-to-side swinging!

Wow do you actually get to sleep through the night? I didn’t expect that but that is good if you do :)

I have a pretty similar daily routine of gym at 6am, work and then stay at home during the week. My routine changes on weekends more often.

Sometimes! Last night I did, and it was amazing. The few nights prior I didn’t because I was paranoid that Hunter was OK since he was sleeping so lomg. Ha! I’m getting used to it now though, so hopefully I’ll continue to be able to sleep through the night. :)

14. Tracy says

Great schedule you have with a 9 week old. I’m surprised to see no feedings between 10:00pm-6:00am though. Is he getting enough nourishment? Typically at the age you are feeding every 3-4 hours… sometimes can get to 4-6 hours. Was this advised by your doctor?

Yep, my doctor said it was fine. He said after 8 weeks, it’s OK if he sleeps that long. He’s getting plenty of milk and gaining well.