Hunter: 10 Weeks

Holy moly! Double digits!

10wks

Man, I just love this little guy more and more with each passing week. I wonder how many times a day I kiss his soft little cheeks? Ah, I just love them!

Hunter truly is such a little angel baby. We’ve said that since day one, and things haven’t changed. Of course we have our rough patches here and there, but I really can’t complain as a whole. He’s such a happy little guy, and makes mommy and daddy laugh every day! He is so much more alert these days, smiles all the time, and loves bright colored objects, lights, and windows. It’s so fun to watch him be so curious about the world around him.

10wks3

This week was pretty darn good all around. The first couple days of the week were a little rough in the nighttime sleep department, but I expected that after getting back from vacation. After the first couple days, he was back to his normal schedule and sleeping much better. There were even a few nights that he slept eight hours straight! This is the first week he’s done that, so I was super excited about it. He still occasionally wakes up in the 3-4 AM hour to eat, but that’s only happened a couple times this past week. Hopefully this sleeping through the night thing continues! It’s amazing how much his naps during the day affect his nighttime sleeping. If he doesn’t nap well, he typically won’t sleep well at night either. That being said, I’m kind of a stickler when it comes to his naps because this mama wants sleep!

He’s still sleeping in his swing, so I’d love to try to transition him to his crib in the next week, but we’ll see how it goes. My motivation for getting him out of the swing is how much batteries are costing us more than anything. Unfortunately, the swing is battery powered, so we’ve been going through batteries like it’s nobody’s business. (Note: I highly recommend a swing that plugs into the wall for all of you soon-to-be-mamas!) Another motivator is that we’re going out of town over the 4th of July, and I’d love for him to sleep well in the Pack ‘N Play that week. He slept in his car seat while we were in Arizona (not my first choice, but he wouldn’t sleep anywhere else!), and still didn’t sleep the best. Any tips you may have for transitioning to a crib would be wonderful!

10wks2

Hunter had his two month check up and shots on Tuesday. He weighed in at 9 pounds, 10 ounces and is 21.5 inches long. Since he was so small at birth, the doctor was impressed with how well he is gaining. Woo hoo! Shots on the other hand, were not so fun. It broke my heart to hear him cry so hard when they poked him. He finally calmed down, but a few hours later, he would randomly start crying hysterically. I felt so helpless and sad. I ended up giving him Children’s Tylenol per his doctor’s recommendation, and it worked like a charm once it kicked in. I’m already dreading his four month shots!

We started using cloth diapers this week too! He’s finally big enough to wear them, and I’m feeling better about this whole mom thing, so I decided we’d give it a shot this week. We currently only have five diapers because I wanted to see how I liked them before buying more, so I’ve been doing a disposable here and there when they need washed. I have some others on the way, so it’ll be nice once we can start using them full time. So far, I’m loving them! I plan on doing a cloth diapering post in the next week or two to fill you in on all the details.

Anyway, I think that’s it for this week!

Mamas – Any advice on transitioning a baby to his/her crib?

Comments

Question for ya … when you give Hunter a bottle, how many ounces are in it? Just curious, because right now we’re giving Addie 3 ounces, but I think I need to increase it soon.

For the transition to the crib, I’d probably say just go cold turkey. Just make the switch and assume that the first few nights will be difficult. But that’s so much easier said than done haha. Keep me updated on how it goes!! Love ya, friend!

I put 4 oz. in his bottle, and he’ll usually drink 3.5 – 4 each feeding. :)

Where is Addie sleeping? I think I’m going to try to start with naps in the crib (hopefully this weekend), see how they go, and then brave nights early next week. Love you too!

• says

I’ve heard that the transition to crib works well if you put him in the crib for a few of his naps during the day before putting him in there all night. Helps him get used to the space for shorter stretches. Can’t wait to hear how the switch goes. I’m dreading it myself and trying to decide when it would be best but thinking 8-10 weeks is a good time to do it. Good luck!

• says

She’s in her crib. I put her in there starting around 3 weeks, because the book I was following (Moms on Call) recommended it. But prior to that, I was using a bassinett, so it wasn’t a huge transition over. :)

I’m not quite sure what kind of batteries your swing takes, but I HIGHLY recommend getting rechargeable batteries. You’ll save so much money, and you can get chargers that recharge them really fast, so you would only need a couple sets!

3. Julie says

Hey sweetie! There really aren’t any ‘easy’ ways to transition to the crib, so I agree with Kristen — just have to go cold turkey on this one. It may be a difficult transition, but once you get through it, I bet he will sleep even better cus’ he will be able to stretch out! Good luck – we’ll be praying for you! xoxo

4. Amanda N says

Its amazing how much he has grown and changed already! I think he looks more like the two of you now.

5. Becky says

I suggest naps in crib first. My son is 15 weeks and we did crib naps for about a week before we moved to night sleeping. It’s been a great transition!

Luke slept in his swing a lot too as a newborn. To transition to the crib, we used the halo sleep sacks to keep him tightly swaddled. . . I think that’s part of what he liked about the swing – that it sorta held him in. But it was a process. . . he always slept better in the swing that in his crib – especially at first, so if I had lots to do –>swing nap, otherwise I tried to put him in his crib. And remember there is no right way to do any of this – whatever you and him figure out is best. :)

Awh he really is looking so healthy now! Real little man :) That is awesome that he’s sleeping so well most of the time for you, makes all the difference! If I ever have kids I’d love to use cloth diapers, such a much better idea so interested to read your upcoming post!

He is absolutely adorable. Sophia liked to take her naps in the swing at first and what helped her transition to the crib was this product you put under her mattress that made it vibrate – Munchkin-Lulla-Vibe-Vibrating-Mattress-Pad. We didn’t need to use this with Isabella, but I have learned every baby/child is different. :)

I JUST started putting Nia in her crib for naps this week. She would sleep in our bed (usually on Tyler’s side haha) for naps, but I always had to be nearby because she moves so much, so it was finally crib time. I don’t think she noticed the difference, and even for night when she used to sleep in our bed and moved her to her crib, she didn’t make a fuss. So, sorry I’m no help :( I hope the pack ‘n’ play works out for you!

Is he napping in the crib or no? Our ped recommended enforcing naps in the crib to make the transition easier (sometimes Ethan naps in the swing). We put him down in the crib after his night time bath and then move him into his bassinet, when we go to bed (carefully so as not to wake him, it’s worked for us. I’m not ready for him to be sleeping in his crib yet…I need a monitor ;) )

He’s so cute – and has gotten so big!! :) :) Can’t believe ten weeks has gone by already for you guys (Ethan just turned 11 weeks today! My how time flies!)

Just started naps in the crib yesterday… Some go okay, some not so great. ;) Before that, he was sleeping all the time in his swing. We’ll see how it goes!

11. Krista says

Maybe try a few times in the swing but don’t turn it on so he starts to get used to sleeping without movement first before you move him to the crib or pack n play. The Fisher Price Rock and Play sleeper might be a good transition place since it’s cozier than the crib but not quite a swing. No matter what you do, eventually he will adjust! I was due a week after you and ended up having my son on March 19th! Good luck!

12. Jade says

I have been mainly cosleeping, but at around 10 months we started to get him back to the crib for at least half the night so what i did might not work as hunter is much younger. I did what i did before to get him drowsy out and then put him in the crib, i had brought a chair in to sit by the crib so i could put my hand on him to calm him. After 5 minutes, i would pick him up, calm him, then put down, then next waited 0 minutes, picked up…, and then every fifteen. This is attended cry it out, so like i said hunter maybe too young for this. You could also read the website http://www.troublesometots.com. Although there is a lot about the strict cry it out stuff she does have methids on how to go from swing to crib.