WIAW #96: Being Tired Makes Me Crave Chocolate

It’s WEDNESDAY! Sweet, right?! Especially when it feels like a Tuesday. Three day weekends are pretty awesome like that.

Wednesday = What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW), so let’s get to it!

Peas and Crayons

My eats were kind of all over the place yesterday. I had a lot of little snacks here and there to get me through the day since I was out running errands through lunch time, and the snacks just kind of continued as the day went on. Oh, and there was quite a bit of chocolate… I was feeling pretty tired yesterday after a weekend full of activities and late nights. I seem to always crave chocolate (and sweets in general) when I’m tired. Not something I’m exactly proud of, but hey, sometimes it happens, right?

breakfast

Breakfast was nothing new. One of these days I’ll start a new breakfast phase, but for now, it’s still my favorite protein filled cereal.

morning snack

Same little cookie dough combo as last week. My sister tried a little bite this past weekend, and she said she thought it tasted like peanut butter cookie dough. I’d say that’s pretty spot on!

lunch

Like I said, lunch was a combination of snacks, so it was eaten in three parts. As we were heading out the door, I drank a smoothie. I like to call it my “PB&J Smoothie” because it tastes just like one! In the smoothie went half of a frozen banana, a few frozen strawberries, spinach, half a scoop of peanut butter protein powder, a spoonful of peanut butter, and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It’s one of my new favorite smoothie combos!

IMG_2059

As I was out, I noticed my favorite ALT Larabar at the grocery store. I haven’t seen these many places, so I was excited about it and grabbed one for the road as I was out doing a few other errands.

IMG_2060

When I got home, I munched on a couple handfuls of these dried green beans from Trader Joe’s. Chelsey turned me on to these awhile back, and they’re always on my list of things to get when I go to TJ’s.

IMG_2064

mid afternoon snack

CHOBANI! Haven’t seen much yogurt around these parts lately, huh? I notice I go in phases with yogurt. I was craving it again and it was on sale at our grocery store for $1/container so I grabbed a few. This was my first time trying the apricot flavor, and it’s probably one of my new favorites! I topped it with a few raspberries – yum!

IMG_2063

–> chocolate craving here <–

It was about 4 PM, I was feeling tired, and the Cocoa Almond Spread I got from Trader Joe’s was sitting in my pantry calling my name. I answered, and had a couple spoonfuls. Mmmm it tasted so good. It reminds me of Nutella – I love it. It never lasts long in our house!

IMG_2069

dinner

I made this Polenta Pesto Lasagna for the first time, and Cody and I both really liked it! It’s suuuuper easy too. I try to make 1-2 vegetarian dinners per week for health and budget reasons. This is one of my new favorite vegetarian options! I plan to write a post on this topic in the near future, so be on the lookout for it!

IMG_2065

dessert

You guessed it… More chocolate. I had a few squares of this dark chocolate from Trader Joe’s. Wowee, is this chocolate rich and amazing. Trader Joe’s knows what’s up when it comes to chocolate (and pretty much everything else for that matter).

IMG_2068

I hope you guys have a great day!

Do you crave sweets/chocolate when you’re tired? What’s your favorite Chobani flavor? How often do you have vegetarian meals?

Comments

passion fruit is my favorite chobani! or coco loco flips! my parents just brought us back chocolate from paris – we haven’t even opened it yet – once we do, it’ll be gone in a flash i’m sure!

2. amelia says

Do I ever?! Golly, when I’m tired my body makes a bee line for chocolate. I’m slowly trying to train my mind to recognize that I need a nap, to go to bedperiod, or water. The thing I have noticed is that I lay wide awake in bed if I turn to chocolate at night. Now I usually grab a spoon of coconut butter and a quick swig of almond milk and hit the hay.

Yay for the pesto lasagna. While I don’t meal plan each week, a veg option usually hits the rotation just because I’m always tired of trying to figure out whether or not I made a ‘protein’. Eat enough veggies or add in something like quinoa (or breakfast for dinner=hello eggs) and you’ve met the requirement! Have a blessed Wednesday. :)

I just started getting into Chobani Greek yogurt. So far I’ve tried the honey and coconut flavor. I add in some granola. It’s a perfect and delicious snack! The chocolate almond spread sounds yummy! I think I need to pick some of that up!

I’ve been wanting to make that polenta lasagna, it looks so good! And I had a question about your breakfast – you don’t cook anything in the recipe, right? You mix everything together raw? I’ve been wanting to try it but wasn’t sure!

I’ve never seen an ALT bar. How are they different than the regular larabars? I looove larabars!

I go in an out with yogurt, too. Just picked up a massive Costco container last night! I like plain, so I can dress it up how I wish, sweet or savory.

They have pea protein added to them for an extra protein boost! They have 10 grams/protein per bar. Dare I say that I think I like them even more than the original Larabars?!

6. Alicyn says

I am new to your blog and really and enjoy it. I love the WIAW posts. I was wondering about how many calories you eat in a day, if you don’t mind me asking. If you don’t want to share that info, I totally understand.

Thanks Alicyn! Honestly, I don’t even track them. I used to be so obsessed with it, so now I try to just listen to my body and honor it. If I had to take a guess, it’s probably around 2200-2500 these days – that’s with exercising and breastfeeding!

Ohh it’s definitely not my recipe…wish I could take credit! The recipe is linked up – just click on it and it should take you right to it. I meant I’ll be writing a post in re: to my favorite vegetarian dinners. :)

I wish I only craved sweets when I was tired! I crave them everyday! Although I don’t necessarily eat them everyday :-) At least not in the form of chocolate. I try to fulfill my sweet cravings with carrot sticks, apple slices and other fresh fruit options before reaching for my chocolate stash. But I definitely have those days, last night being one of them, where I’m a chocolate monster!

I totally crave sweets and chocolate when I’m tired. I also go for the sweet crunchy things… so sugary cereals are something I go to when I’m tired. I would be in big trouble with that cocoa almond spread hanging around! I’d eat so much of it :P

Oh my gosh, I love polenta! And I love how easy that recipe looks! Gotta try it. Think my meat-and-potatoes hubby will go for it?? :)

I’m heading to TJ’s this afternoon–going to look around for those green beans! Thanks for the tip!!

Cody is totally a meat and potatoes type of guy too, and he liked it! It’s worth a shot! And I always tell him, if you want dinner made for you, this is what’s on the table. That causes him not to complain much. ;)

Oh yum that cocoa almond spread sounds delicious! I don’t tend to crave chocolate at any particular times weirdly..I pretty much get my fix of it everyday so I don’t often get those cravings.
    I used to have veggie meals all the time but haven’t been having as many recently.

11. Katie says

When I’m tired and running low on energy all I do is crave sweets and chocolate… which usually makes me energy level worse! My favorite flavor is the new coconut or apple spice! Typically we don’t cook many vegetarian meals because my better half likes to have “real” meat in his meals!

I love all things Trader Joe’s!!! I am making a trip there on Friday and I WILL be picking up some of the cocoa spread!

I can’t wait to see the write up about the polenta pesto lasagna!! We try to have a couple vegetarian meals a week as well and that looks phenomenal!

13. Traci says

My boyfriend and I have been eating more and more vegetarian meals. Same as you, we’re trying to do it for health/budget reasons. I know there’s a ton of great recipes and have made plenty before, so I just need to get into full swing. That polenta recipe looks great – I may need to try it out! Right now, I don’t have a set number of meals I aim for but I do try to eat vegetarian at least one meal per day right now, sometimes more.

we love chocolate and wish we could eat it more but right now our bodies don’t handle it well, over the years we have realized when we have strong chocolate cravings is because we are low in magnesium so we have been increasing our magnesium whenever those cravings come :)

Oh, that Cocoa Almond spread looks so good! I can’t keep a whole jar at home, or I would finish it off, but I do have a single packet of Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut butter in my cupboard, waiting for a banana to be dipped in!

I can’t even look at some of these foods right now (before bed) or I will want to run to the kitchen!! I am totally stocking up on Alt bars when we’re down in the states during Christmas break!!!

I crave chocolate all the time ;) I have to have a square every morning lol.
    We do not have Chobani here but when we are south we buy it and take advantage. I really like the blood orange flavor.
    For supper we probably have a vegetarian meal 2-3 nights a week.
    Love that smoothie combo! Our blender broke last week so I am waiting for a new part – until then no smoothies :(