[5 Months] Postpartum

This post is almost two weeks late, but better late than never, right? Sure. Winking smile

Body

My body feels pretty much back to normal, but there’s still some differences which may or may not ever go away. I honestly don’t really mind either way at this point though. I still have some extra skin on my lower belly, my belly button isn’t as much of an “innie” as it used to be, and I still have a little bit of a linea nigra under my belly button (it’s slowly but surely fading though). Oh, and hair loss… Thanks to those lovely little things called hormones, I lost A LOT of hair during months 3-4, but fortunately it seems like it’s significantly slowed down this month. I hope it stays that way. I haven’t lost or gained any weight this month – it’s hovering right in the middle of my low weight and my high (pre-pregnancy) weight. My body is continuing to tone up and be a little less “squishy”, but even if it stayed how it currently is forever, I can’t complain at all. I’m pretty content where I’m at size and looks wise.

PicMonkey Collage

Mind

Honestly, I think this is the happiest and most at peace I’ve been in months, maybe years? I really do just love being a mom, and I know this is right where God wants me at this point in my life. Hunter brings me more joy than I could ever express! Of course we have our rough days from time to time (don’t we all?), but overall, life is good. I’ve definitely seen a huge improvement in my anxiety compared to last month, thank goodness. I’m assuming it was my hormones taking over, and me adjusting to Hunter moving out of the newborn phase. I really feel like I’m in a good place these days.

5mopostpartum3

Exercise

Exercise is still going really well! I feel as though I’m continuing to get stronger, and my endurance is slowly but surely improving. I’ve added in some short distance running this month (2-3 miles at a time), but I’m still not doing a lot of it. I’m mostly sticking to strength training, circuit workouts, and some at-home Cross Fit style workouts – basically anything that’s quick and easy these days! I don’t have hours to spend on my workouts, so I like to get them done in a short amount of time (20-45 minutes). On average, I’ve been doing strength workouts about 2-3 times per week and cardio workouts 2 times per week with at least 2 rest days in there. It seems to be really working for me and my body, so I’m going to stick with it!

Previous postpartum posts:

Hope y’all have a fabulous Tuesday!

Any questions for me re: postpartum changes, recovery, etc.? Feel free to ask in the comments or email me anytime! Smile

Comments

You are doing great! We’re getting close to 4 months over here and I’m still struggling to get into an exercise routine again. But feeling better mentally and physically is such a wonderful thing after the adjustment that is becoming a new mom. I know the exercise will come eventually, especially reading inspirational people like you :)

You look amazing mama – and I love your laid back approach. I’m pretty sure ill be the same way. Workouts aren’t necessarily as important to me anymore as they once have been so we will see how that all works out when I get the go ahead to exercise again. Ad you should see my belly button – ha! Pair it with the stretched out belly button ring scar and it’s quite a sight! ;)

Thanks Chels. Yeah…you just realize there’s a lot more to life than daily 2 hour workouts. ;) I think my body is a lot happier too.

I’m SO happy to hear you’re in such a positive place in your mind – I think that’s such an important thing and I’m glad to hear you’ve never felt better. Truly awesome.
    It seems like things are going so well, and you look awesome! I think we sometimes forget that babies take 9 months to make – so it can definitely take a while to feel 100% back to normal. Regardless, it sounds like you’re doing fabulous!

4. Katie says

You look awesome Mama! I feel the same way post 5 months… I don’t think my tummy/hips will go back to before pregnancy but I’m happy and content. I’m learning to let go of what you can’t control & just go with it ;) Since babies can be unpredictable! ;)

You look great for just having a baby recently! Be proud of what you’ve accomplished. I’m working on my weight loss goals right now as well (Although not due to a baby…) and I’ve lost inches all over the place in the past 6 weeks. Lets keep motivating each other! :)

Hi! New reader. :)

Wow, you look great, and your baby is too cute!

My daughter is 9 months old and I am just now back to my pre-pregnancy weight and pants. Even then, I am still a little more squishy, but it doesn’t bother me too much.

Keep up the great work!

Hunter is too cute in these pics :) I’m glad the anxiety ha calmed down. Like I said before, month 4 was the hardest for me mentally and emotionally too. I’m so glad that you feel settled in your calling :)

Oh heyyyyy hottie!! You do look fabulous–as I have told you in person. :)

You’re a great example of taking it in a laidback way, and it goes to show patience & a bit of persistence pays off. Way to go mama! xo

I have a postpartum workout question – when do you tend to fit in your workouts? Do you do it during nap times? Or while your husband is home to watch the baby?
    By the way, you look amazing and no one would guess you’d recently had a baby! Even more importantly though is you sound super happy with yourself and life which is really great to hear!

Great question! I’ve been planning to do a post re: this question for awhile actually, so stay tuned, and I’ll fill ya in on all of that. I’m hoping to have it up in the next week! Thanks so much for the sweet compliment!

Ashley you look great!! I can’t believe Hunter is already five months. I feel like I was just reading your pregnancy posts yesterday. It is crazy how fast time goes. Our babies grow up so fast. I am still struggling with finding time to workout, but I know it will come sooner or later. Probably later. :)

Girl, you look great :) I’m glad you’re feeling good about yourself, are happy and at peace! I think it makes all the difference in the world if you truly feel at people with how you look! Look at that little man..just too precious for words! You are one lucky lady :)

Love these updates and as I begin my 3rd trimester, the balance and stress-free outlook on your post-partum body is joyfully refreshing. On an unrelated note, Hunter’s hair makes my day! Could he BE any cuter?!

You look great!!! I had twins and lots of extra skin I thought it would never go, but it actually mostly eventually did. Took me over 12 months! So glad you’re happy and enjoying your cutie!!

You look so great!!! I’ve never been pregnant but since I was very overweight as a teenager I can relate to having loose skin on my tummy which will probably never go away. The plus on that is if I do get pregnant I probably won’t end up with any more loose skin than what I did. What I found was that over time it improved heaps though. :)

In the beginning, my hair was falling out like crazy and I thought it was scary (my hair’s really fine to begin with so I needed all that I had haha), but yes luckily, that slowed down, or else I might be your bald blogging friend ;).

Our belly buttons can be “not as innie” friends together haha! You look fab lady xoxo

Haha! I kept asking Cody – “Would you still love me if I became bald?” Of course I was joking, but yeah, it just kept coming out!!!

I’m so happy you’re feeling great! Gotta love the loose skin. I’d love to say it goes away! Who knows, it could for you – you’re younger than me :) I do find that lotion with Elastin in it does help. Speaking of looking great – it’s gonna sound kinda pervy – but let’s be honest, it’s always nice to hear — your girls are also looking good. Lol.

17. Ashley says

Ashley,

You look and sound great! Can you tell me if there was anything you did to help with the hair loss? I’m at 20 weeks and its still coming out by the handful for me. I’m kinda scared…thank you lady!

Ashley

There wasn’t really much I did to help it unfortunately… It just eventually kinda stops due to hormones. I would just recommend continuing to eat healthy and take prenatal vitamins. Hang in there! ;)