My First Crossfit Workout

I’m baaaaaack!

After a long day of traveling yesterday, we are finally home! We had such a wonderful trip – we are so blessed to have the loving family that we do. I’ll catch you up on the last few days within the next day or two, but for now, I want to fill you in on my first experience with Crossfit!

I’ve always wanted to try Crossfit. I love the idea of short, high intensity workouts, but I could never convince myself to shell out the money for it. It was also pretty intimidating to me, and I wouldn’t have tried it if I didn’t have someone there with me that I knew and trusted. My brother has been going to a Crossfit box for the past month and invited me to go with him one morning. He knows the owner, so they gave me the opportunity to do a workout for free. Woo hoo!

Once we got there, everyone was welcoming and so nice! I had heard that most Crossfit “communities” are super friendly, so I was happy to personally experience that myself. I filled out a waiver and some other paperwork, and then the owner and my brother gave me a little introduction to basic equipment around the gym. My brother and I stretched out and foam rolled a bit while we waited for others to get there.

We started out with the coach giving us an overview of what the hour would look like, and then we went around and introduced ourselves since there were a couple newbies (like myself).

Our hour workout looked something like this:

2000 meter row

We did this “for time”, meaning we did it as fast as we possibly could. I finished in about 9 minutes/30 seconds, and let me tell you, it was TOUGH. It was like a long sprint. Whew! The Crossfit coach told us that this is somewhat of a rare distance to do in Crossfit. Typically they do much shorter distances.

10 push ups & 10 side planks

After our row, we had some time to practice our jump roping, and we had to do 10 slow push ups (counted down from 3 as we lowered), and 10 side plank reaches. This was nothing difficult, but it was nice to help me cool down from the row.

Focus exercise: barbell shoulder press

The coach started out by going over proper form with us on the barbell shoulder press. We practiced it a few times, and then we did 5 reps/5 reps/3 reps/3 reps/3 reps (max). We started out with a somewhat heavy weight, but it was light enough that I could continue to add weight to it and still complete my repetitions. By the time I got to my last set, I needed to be maxed out with my weight at 3 reps. I ended up maxing out at 3 reps with 55 pounds. Not sure how great that is in the Crossfit world, but my brother seemed impressed for my first time!

W.O.D.

There’s all sorts of “Crossfit lingo” that I’m still learning, but a common one is W.O.D. (aka workout of the day). W.O.D.s are typically titled with a name. The one we did in particular when I went was called “Megan”. We had to do 21 reps of kettlebell swings, double unders, and burpees, and then do the same round of exercises for 15 reps, and then 9 reps for time – meaning we had to do these as fast as we could while still using proper  form.

Oh.my.goodness.

By the time I was done with the row and shoulder press, adding the W.O.D. into the workout totally challenged me. I can’t remember the last time I felt so exhausted by the end of a workout! Not to mention I felt pretty nauseous – lovely, right? My brother says it gets easier as you continue…

As tough as it was, I truly had so much FUN! The hour flew by, and I didn’t feel bored for one second. I liked that it challenged me and put me outside of my comfort zone. I could see myself really enjoying Crossfit, but I just can’t afford to belong to a Crossfit gym right now (or ever – I have a hard time wrapping my head around paying $100+ per month no matter how much money I have). Not to mention the fact that I feel like “Crossfitters” are kind of black and white – either you do Crossfit hardcore or you don’t do it at all. Maybe that’s just me, but that’s kind of the impression I get. I like a well-rounded variety of workouts, so I think I would have a hard time staying committed to just Crossfit, making a $100+/month fee SO not worth it.

I definitely enjoyed going with someone that I knew had experience with Crossfit – it was much less intimidating for me that way. It’s something I would recommend if you’re considering trying it out for the first time!

P.S. I’ve been receiving a lot of emails re: hypothalamic amenorrhea (HA) lately. As much as I would like to, unfortunately I just don’t have the time to respond to each and every email. Please make sure you read the posts on my HA page for the answers to your questions. Thanks for your understanding! Smile

Have you ever tried out Crossfit? If so, how’d you like it?

What is your opinion on Crossfit?

If you haven’t tried Crossfit, do you have a desire to?

Disclaimer: I was given permission to use the above photos by Wildfire Crossfit.

Comments

I’ve never tried Crossfit for “real” (like you, I don’t want to pay), but I’ve done a variety of home WODs. I feel like that’s one of the nice things about (some) Crossfit workouts…they can easily be done at home or at a gym! You could definitely do the WOD that you did again, in your home…for free!!! :)

I’ve never tried cross fit and always had been intimidated by it too. I think I’d feel better if I had someone to go with me who had experience with it. That would make my feel a whole lot better. Thanks for sharing your experience!

awesome!! so fun to try new workouts!! i’ve done 8 intro classes for crossfit, but never did a “real” class – after i’m preggo, i’d like to though!! my brother swears by it now!!

I think I would really like Crossfit, but I don’t feel like their fees are reasonable. Plus I get bored doing the same type of workouts all the time, so I’d probably stick with it for maybe a few months and then want to do something else. They post their WODs online anyway, so if I’m able to I can do them in my basement should I feel like it.

Oh my goodness! This looks like so much fun! I have never tried cross fit but would love to give it start sometime. Like you though, I see cross for as black & white too and I don’t think I could solely commit to just one type of any exercise, I like a variety! Also, $100+ a month would definitely deter me, ha! ;) it is like how I love Pure Barre, but it costs $200+ unlimited for a month! I would have to go every single day to make my money worth it!

I’ve never tried Crossfit, and while part of me wants to see what all the fuss is about, I definitely find it a little intimidating… both physically and financially. I’ve noticed that black and white mentality as well, and I’m pretty sure I’d never be able to commit to it 100% like some people — I like my variety!

I’ve always wanted to go to Crossfit, and was always confused on what went on there, but your post totally explained it! I can’t fathom spending that much money every month so I know I will never join, but I do like how strong you get from it haha

I joined crossfit and LOVED it… like you said high intensity and you’re never bored! Unfortunately, cross fit and trying to get pregnant did work out so well together so I stopped. I’ve seen groupons for classes though so maybe after this baby comes I’ll go back. It was a great alternative to running!

I tried out Crossfit for a while, but it was WAY too expensive, and I didn’t love the workouts at my local “box.” The actual workouts were only around 10 minutes, which is a little short for my liking! I’m more into fun, high-energy, dance-y group exercise classes!

I finally signed up for a crossfit gym. The price deterred me for over a year but I found one within 10min from my apartment that gave me a killer military discount so taking the plunge was justified. I also have plateaued in muscle building so I figured I’d give CF a try.
    The first two real WODs I’ve done (been going to intro classes for 2 weeks) I was sore, in the best way possible, for days. It’s something entirely different and I love it.

I TOTALLY get what you mean about CF’ers giving off the black or white vibe. The other half of Fit with Farrar (husband, Tim) is a CF’er and it’s virtually possible to get him to do anything else, or even consider something as being as good a workout as CF. I feel I’m like you….more of the “yeah I like CF, and I like a bunch of other stuff mindset” :)

12. Katie says

I’ve never tried crossfit, but I would love to! I just can’t see shelling out that much money right now! :) Looks fun tho…!

Sadly, I haven’t tried Crossfit. However, I don’t think it is for me. I am not into those types of workouts. I prefer running/cycling and strength training a few times a week. Perhaps one day I will try it; I’ve just had many people tell me that they’ve overdone it and injured themselves.

I have been doing Crossfit for over two months now, and before I started I was the same way, saying that I just couldn’t afford over $100 a month for a gym membership, blah blah blah. And the culture freaked me out a bit (how it seems everyone is paleo and crossfit crazy). Honestly, the money I spend to go to my box is the best money I’ve ever spent on a gym. I get SO much more use out of my Crossfit membership than any YMCA or fitness gym membership I’ve ever had. The people in the box push me to do my best. When I think I can’t, they tell me I can. I know, it’s not cheap, but if you are going to USE it, then it ABSOLUTELY is worth it.
    Also, I respectfully disagree that Crossfit is black and white. I LOVE Crossfit, but I still do other activities, and I go to my box 3-4 times a week for an hour each time. It’s what you make of it. If you want to go all or nothing, then that is fine, if not, that’s cool too. No one forces you to compete or go outside your comfort zone.
    As far as the culture goes, my box is pretty chill and if you don’t want to do something, it’s totally fine. Like, I don’t want to eat paleo (for reasons all my own) and they’re cool with that. They offer nutrition support if I did want to try it, but I’m good for now. There isn’t any pressure.
    Oh and on the comments that mention injuries, you’ve got to listen to your body. Simple as that. If your body says you can’t put 10 more lbs on the bar, don’t do it. No one will care. You can’t go in pushing weight around if you don’t know what you’re doing, you more than likely will get hurt.
    I guess my point is that it isn’t cheap, but it’s the same, if not better in my opinion, than paying for a personal trainer, only this is much more interesting, there are many more friends to be made, and it is just an awesome environment for finding the best in yourself. :) I’m glad you gave it a shot and liked it!

My older sister does Crossfit and she loves it. I would like to try it sometime, but I’m pretty sure its not something that I could really get into mostly because I love running so much and I think the two aren’t all that compatible.

How awesome! Nice job on those workouts! I would definitely love to try CrossFit one day. I also love quick, intense workouts. Like you though, I am weary of the price and I enjoy other forms of exercise. If I ever have the opportunity, I would still love to give it a shot!

I so wish I could afford Crossfit! I’ve tried it once with my husband who goes regularly and loved it! Although my dream would be to open a gym that did crossfit style classes as well as some HIIT style classes, Tabata and yoga as well as others. Having more of a variety personally sounds more appealing to me as much as I enjoyed it!

18. kristina says

I’m a crossfit junkie. i joined a box a year ago and definately drank the cool-aid. i dont think i could ever go back to just a standard gym/group fitness classes (even though i do teach spin) …ive never been stronger and more fit. worth every penny