A Lazy Saturday + Festival of Trees

Happy Monday! How was everyone’s weekend?!

Hope you found some of my meal ideas and workout schedule helpful as you were planning out for your week! And if you missed it, don’t forget to enter to win a copy of Sara Haley’s Sweat Unlimited Workout DVD – it ends Wednesday!

We had a really nice weekend over here. It was a great mix of relaxation, productivity, quality time as a family, and fun holiday festivities – just the way I like it!

Friday afternoon Hunter and I went over to visit Annette and meet Lily for the first time! I’ve been dying to meet Lily and see Annette since it seems like it’s been forever ago since I last saw her. We had such a fun time, as usual. Annette and I ate lunch together and chatted while the babies napped, and then when they woke up they “played” while us girls chatted some more. Lily is beyond adorable – it was so fun to hold a newborn again!

Capture

Since Cody doesn’t get home until about 7 PM on Fridays, we don’t usually do much other than something low key at home. We ended up ordering a pizza and it totally hit the spot. Has anyone ordered Little Caesar’s new deep dish pizza?! It’s actually quite good. Cody & I were both very impressed. Far from “healthy”, but an easy and delicious option every once in awhile!

Capture

I also made cookies (except I made them with peanut butter), and enjoyed them all weekend long. They’re one of my favorites, especially with a hot cup of coffee!

Capture

Then we settled in to watch the sixth Harry Potter movie to continue on with our “Harry Potter marathon”. Well, the Harry Potter movie didn’t last long as I fell asleep about 45 minutes into it. No surprise there. I’m an expert at falling asleep during movies. Winking smile

Saturday was one of those days that you think back to and wonder where in the world the day went! I had big plans to go to Power Pump class, take Hunter to see Santa Claus, and maybe run a few other errands, but that all didn’t happen once the snow started falling not long after we woke up. The only thing that sounded appealing was staying in my sweats and laying low at home with my little family, so that’s just what we did!

Hunter also managed to find a few of his Christmas presents under the tree…

One highlight was Santa coming around the neighborhood with his friends on a fire truck to throw out candy and wave to the kids.

It was a big hit with many of the older kids in our neighborhood, but Hunter was not having it. He doesn’t like loud noises so the siren on the fire truck scared him a bit. It was actually kind of cute so I had to snap a photo!

The snow kept coming and coming all day and all night long! This was one of the biggest storms we’ve experienced in quite some time, so it was kind of fun to watch the snow fall and build up as the day went on.

Capture

Later on that day, Cody and I got ready to head out with another couple, Andy and Jessica, for a double date. We dropped off Hunter at a friend’s house, headed to dinner, and then ended up at The Festival of Trees to wander around and look at all of the beautiful and uniquely decorated trees. The Festival of Trees is an event held at a nearby expo center to show off decorated trees, wreaths, quilts, and gingerbread houses that are donated and then bought at the event to go to Primary Children’s Hospital.

Some of them were just gorgeous and others were very creative as they had various themes. A few of my favorites:

PicMonkey Collage

The gingerbread houses were just incredible as well. I almost enjoyed seeing these more than some of the Christmas trees. I can only imagine how much time and energy people put into these houses – there was so much detail in them!

PicMonkey Collage2

Awesome, right?!

Love this girl! Such a fun night!

Sunday was church, a Costco run, and then getting some stuff done around the house while getting in some more relaxation.

Great weekend! Smile

Did it storm by you this weekend?

Do you have a “go to” Friday night dinner? (We do pizza quite a bit!)

Have you done any festive Christmas activities yet?

Do you like Harry Potter?

Comments

Wow those gingerbread houses are incredible!!! I was proud of mine last week for some animal cracker reindeer ha! We will definitely be trying that little Caesars deep dish! We usually get papa johns but I’m ready for a switch. Have a great Monday!

Fun! I love that last picture of you … you’re looking beautiful! :) Poor Hunter with the loud noises! Addie is sometimes fine with loud noises and sometimes not fine at all haha. I had to take her into the ladies’ room when we were driving back from Florida and she HATED the sound of the hand dryer! Haha!

Aw, thanks friend! Haha that’s too funny about Addie! One time Hunter started whimpering at the UPS store when the lady unwrapped the packing tape!

Well those gingerbread houses just put mine to shame… especially since I usually end up eating too much of the candy while I’m making it and fall short on the decor :lol: But this weekend would have been a perfect one to make a super gingerbread house… It was so cold here that I refused to go outside and spent most of my time indoors trying to stay warm.

There’s a contest in Pittsburgh for gingerbread houses, too. They showcase them by our outdoor skating rink. My cousin’s girl scout troop makes one every year, and theirs for this season is so adorable! It features the city and the giant rubber duck that lived on our rivers for a month (not sure if you saw that in the news). Anyway, everyone loved the duck so it’s the perfect scene for the house they made.

Thanks Girl! Everything is older, so I can’t guarantee that they’ll currently have it at the various stores, but I don’t mind sharing at all! My sweater is from Target, my scarf is from American Eagle (I think!), and my jacket is Nine West. :)

5. Katie says

We didn’t get a huge storm this weekend but it snowed on Sunday which made for slippery roads! Our go to friday night dinner is either chinese takeout or fish fry! We have done a few christmas things, however we still need to get our tree & bake holiday goodies! I know a lot of people like Harry Potter, however I just can’t get into it!.. P.s. Where did you get your scarf from if you don’t mind me asking, I LOVE IT! It looks great on you :)

Honestly, I can’t get into Harry Potter either… I agreed to our “marathon” for my husband. ;) I got my scarf as a gift a couple years ago, but I think it’s from American Eagle.

We just got over a huge storm last week and then this weekend we had freezing temps.
    Pizza is the best Friday night supper!
    I love Festival of Trees, we go every year here. We wanted to go to the Christmas parade but it was too cold and got cancelled. I am hoping we get to our city hall park since they do amazing lights there.
    PS I’ve fallen asleep in every Harry Potter movie!

The Festival of Trees looks awesome! I looked up if there is anything like that around where we live and no luck :( My husband and I decorated a gingerbread house last weekend and I highly suggest NOT indulging in some holiday cocktails while doing it unless you want to lose all of your artistic abilities (not that I had any before, haha). Our go-to dinner on Friday nights is usually pizza as well!

The Festival of Trees looks like so much fun! Didn’t Janae at Hungry Runner Girl go to this too? I know way too much about you people ;) We had a firetruck come to our neighborhood for a few years, but now all the kids in our ‘hood are grown up and in high school or college so they don’t anymore! I lovelovelove your pictures! What kind of camera do you use?!

Noted about Little Caesar’s – I’ve only ever had their $5 always-fresh things…which were less than impressive :-S but I’ll keep the deep dish in mind next time we need a pizza fix!
    And those gingerbread houses – wow. I can only imagine how much time would have gone into one of those! That second one with the blue roof is just incredible.

I discovered a couple ideas: tunics, long sweaters, short dresses, AND my secret – maternity tops. Not all of them will work…like the ones that have the ruching on the side (that would look silly), but the extra long tops/tanks are great to wear to cover my booty! :)

We have a fire truck Santa that comes through our neighborhoods as well. We like it, but it scares our cats to death!

That festival looks awesome and like something I would totally love! We got some snow overnight but now it’s just raining and turning everything into a sheet of ice which isn’t much fun and not as pretty to look at.

I loooove Harry Potter. I’ve seen every movie a million times. I’ve never read the books though, but my wife has read them all multiple times. She fills in the gaps that the movies leave out which is a bonus for me!

That’s really cute that Santa visited your neighborhood. I wish we had something like that! We went to the mall when it opened yesterday to meet Santa and the line would have taken like 3 hours I think. Needless to say, Aiden wasn’t going to last that long, so we had to veto the idea. I’m hoping to find a smaller place that has Santa!

How cool that santa drove by?!? That is awesome sauce.

I love the festival of trees–such amazing trees & such there. We didn’t go this year but I’ve gone for the past 3 years!

I think the snow is so pretty, except when it makes me late ;) hah.

HP is the best! I never fall asleep in movies actually…it takes one very tired pregnant me to do that. It’s only happened 3 times (and each were during my pregnancy. hah!)

I really do enjoy the snow when we don’t have to drive in it or go anywhere. :) I fall asleep during movies alllll the time – always have! I think it’s because I’m typically go-go-go so it’s the one time I actually lay down and relax.

Those trees and gingerbread houses are insane!! I wish I could do something like that. I probably could but it would take forever! Perhaps one day! We still need to get our tree and decorate. That is on the agenda for next weekend! Stay warm!

So much Christmas fun! I have to say, I’m jealous of the snow. Whenever we DO get snow it’s always in February or March and it’s not nearly as fun as it is before Christmas. That pizza looks incredible. We haven’t had a pizza night in forever but I’ve always wanted to start a Friday night pizza/movie tradition. One day! :)

Aw, poor Hunter! I’m sure he will look back at that picture and laugh when he’s older. I just love his hair too! It’s so fluffy and cute.

Those gingerbread houses were insanely impressive!

Our go-to dinner on Friday nights are the hot bar at Whole Foods. It’s expensive but it’s our once a week treat.

16. Katie says

We have a Festival of Trees in Baltimore, MD that we go to sometimes. The trees are amazing and the gingerbread houses too….although the ones in your pics look way more impressive than ours! It’s fun to go to and gets you in the holiday spirit.