Keeping Healthy in Twenty Fourteen

The following post is sponsored by Fitfluential LLC on behalf of Designer Whey.

Notice the title says keeping rather than getting?

I’m all about stepping up my game and giving myself a little nudge come the New Year, but I’m also a firm believer that healthy is a lifestyle AKA FO’ LIFE. In other words, I don’t believe in fad diets or any of that nonsense.  Our health is a journey that we’re constantly on, and along with that, no journey is perfect. There are times that I fall to the wayside and eat more sugar than what my body should have (ahem, the past few weeks), but that doesn’t mean my health is down the tubes. I give myself a little nudge, and get back to my normal eating without torturing myself into a terrible detox or 500 calorie diet.

Health is all about balance and moderation. You know, eat your vegetables, whole grains, fruit, lean protein most of the time, but there’s always room for dessert (in moderation of course). What would life be without a little dessert here and there, right? God created food to nourish our bodies, but He also created it for us to enjoy!

Without further ado, here’s how I’m planning to continue to keep healthy in the new year:

• Eat plenty of fruits and veggies

I typically have no problem eating enough fruit, but vegetables are something I really have to work on. I love sneaking vegetables into soups, making huge salads with lots of amazing toppings (nuts, dried fruit, and cheese just to name a few), and last but not least, making green smoothies! I add a bunch of fruit and some flavored protein powder to my green smoothies to disguise the spinach or kale and to amp up the nutrients a bit. One of my all time favorite protein powders is Designer Whey. Their nutrition facts are awesome (i.e. low in calories, high in protein, and low in sugar), and they have some delicious flavors. Vanilla Almond, Strawberry, White Chocolate, and Double Chocolate are my top favorites!

The Breakfast Smoothie is one of my faves!

• Get moving most days of the week

This could mean walking, running, lifting weights, going to a group fitness class, whatever – as long as I’m doing something to get my heart rate up and my endorphins going most days of the week.

family5k

• Refuel after workouts

Along with moving, I always make sure I refuel after my workouts. I like to focus on high protein snacks after strength based workouts, and I focus on a good balance of carbs and protein after cardio based workouts. Designer Whey Protein2Go packets are one of my favorite post workouts drinks. They’re small packets of powder you can stuff in your pocket, and then you just pour one into a water bottle, shake it up, and drink up after your workout. They’re naturally sweetened and taste great too!

• Make protein a priority in my snacks and meals

Every macro (i.e. carbohydrates, fats, proteins, etc.) is important, but I notice that I feel most satisfied when I get enough protein with each of my meals or snacks. Some of my favorite protein packed snacks are: Greek yogurt, cheese stick wrapped in deli meat, cottage cheese, trail mix, and protein smoothies/shakes. When I’m on the go, I also really enjoy protein bars – Clif bars, ALT Larabars, and Designer Whey Protein Bars are my top favorites.

• Be OK with resting

A couple years ago, I wouldn’t have been OK with this one. I guarantee you I wouldn’t have even added it to this list two years ago. Since then, I’ve learned the importance of rest and how it positively impacts me – physically and emotionally. I take 2-3 rest days per week, which allows my body to recover, and it keeps me excited for my workouts. Not to mention it gives me extra time and energy to keep up with my little on-the-go baby.

—————————————————————————-

So, that’s that – short and simple. I don’t like to make things too complicated when it comes to my health. I follow the above general “guidelines” and will continue to keep up with them in the new year.

Have a great Friday!

Do you make New Year’s resolutions?

What “guidelines” do you keep for yourself to maintain a healthy lifestyle?

Have you ever tried Designer Whey products? Which are your favorites?

Comments

I don’t make resolutions and I am absolutely with you- a healthy lifestyle overall is key, not some fad diet or waiting for January 1st to “eat clean”…I love my sweets but keep it all in balance as best as I know how by eating all my fruits and vegetables, grains and protein with a nice mix of dessert and running on a regular basis.

2. Alaina says

Where can we buy the Designer whey bars? I see the protein powders at my local supermarket, but haven’t seen the other products. I am located in Georgia. Do you think GNC has everything?

These are great suggestions for the new year! I whole heartedly agree that fitness and healthy living is a lifestyle and not something you do for a certain period of time. I don’t usually make fitness resolutions because I try to be healthy all year round, but I do try to focus on adding more veggies or making a small, positive change to my diet.

Sounds like a good plan, for sure – I love that you included rest days in there! People overlook them a lot, but they’re so, so necessary. I make monthly goals as opposed to New Years Resolutions, so I get the chance to reevaluate and refocus at the beginning of each month

I don’t make resolutions either, instead I set some goals. As far as health and nutrition, I have what I like to call my 10% rule. As you move through life, add 10% more good stuff, and take away 10% of bad stuff, that way nothing feels to hard to get used to.

Balance is one of those words people misinterpret and I guess it’s different for every person…but finding your personal balance is totally key! I never feel satisfied unless I’ve had a good fat with my meal be it avocado or nut butter or as of about 5 minutes ago egg!!!

I agree that it shouldn’t be about getting healthy but how up make it a lifestyle and not a fad. I’m working on being okay with taking a rest day. That’s a goal of mine and to working on strengthens my body more!

8. Katie says

No new years resolutions…Just keep listening to my body & enjoying everything in moderation. Healthy isn’t a diet it’s a lifestyle!!! Guidelines… Veggies everyday. Good sources of protein & lots of avocado ;) I would LOVE to try some of that designer whey drink mix, so if you have any discounts or know of any coupon, please let me know :)

I seriously could not love this any more! “God created food to nourish our bodies, but He also created it for us to enjoy!” I especially loved that line.
    I have never made New Year’s resolutions because I feel like there are constant opportunities to improve ourselves (not in a perfectionist kind of way, but in a progressive kind of way).
    To maintain a healthy lifestyle, I like to make sure to eat real foods most of the time, move in some sort of way every day, keep a strong relationship with my family, and pray every day.

I still haven’t tried Designer Whey yet but everyone seems to love it! We haven’t made New Years resolutions yet but usually make a few together and a few individual. We post them on our bathroom mirror where we can be reminded daily about them. Although that doesn’t seem to work 100% but helps :-)

I love all your tips! I never tried Designer a Whey but it seems interesting. I should also probably join the bandwagon on smoothies… Do they really fill you?