01/02/14: Thursday Thoughts

Thinking-Out-Loud

1. I hope you all had a fabulous New Year’s Eve and Day! We rang in the New Year with great friends, pizza and drinks, fun games, and lots of good laughs and conversation. It really couldn’t have been better.

newyears2013

2. P.S. You know you want one of our “Happy New Year” crowns. Hot, eh?

newyears13

3. Hunter has his nine month check up today! I always get excited to see how much he’s grown. The whole shots thing isn’t so fun, but I just try not to think about it.

4. I’m officially ready for Christmas to be gone and put away. I was hesitant to take things down last weekend, but now that New Year’s Day has come and gone, I’m more than ready for the tree and décor to be taken down. Cue –> Start taking it all down.

5. This mug cake brownie = DANGEROUS. By far the best one I’ve ever tried. No, it’s far from healthy, but it sure is yummy. You’ll especially love it if you prefer a brownie over cake. Yep, going to go make one right now…

6. …OK, I’m back. Mmmm yeah, you really need to try the mug brownie. It’ll pretty much change your life. And I’m really not that much of a drama queen, so I mean it when I say that.

7. We were cleaning out the basement and going through some boxes the other day, and I came across this photo of me back in the day. Gotta love the mullet, right?

Capture

8. I’m thinking a little ahead to Hunter’s first birthday party… A part of me wants to ignore it because I refuse to accept the fact that my baby is turning ONE in just a few months, but I’m also really excited to plan his party and to continue to see him grow and develop. I am FAR from a master party planner, so I need your help – any ideas on first birthday party themes for a boy?!

9. So, I decided … I’m growing my hair back out. I’m mostly telling you all to keep me accountable to it when I get sick of that “in between” length. I miss my pony tails, curling my hair, and cute buns (you know, as in the bun you wear on your head…c’mon, guys Winking smile).

10. I kind of love this photo. Hunter is just one of the guys now.

Capture

11. I plan to do my Bits & Pieces of Ashley post tomorrow on LEGGINGS! So, all of you legging lovers, make sure you check it out!

12. Cody has off work today (Thursdays are one of his days off since he works 10 hour shifts, 4 days a week), so we’re going to continue our New Year’s celebrations with cleaning the house, folding laundry, and beginning to put away Christmas stuff. I kind of love productive days like that – wish us luck!

13. Last but not least, Hunter is currently in 4th place in the photo contest. We need more votes, as it ends in just a few days. Even if you already voted, you can vote again – one vote per day. Annoying, but we’d love your support! So please GO VOTE!

What did YOU do to ring in the New Year?

Did you already take down your Christmas decorations?

Any first birthday party ideas for Hunter?!

Tell me three things you’re doing today!

Comments

We took down our tree yesterday and though I was hesitant, I actually love it. The other decorations are still up, but there aren’t many. The tree was just starting to drive me nuts! That mug cake sounds delicious.. I’ll definitely be trying that one :) I went to a friends house for New Years and it was so fun!
    As for a boys birthday, I’ve heard of Mickey Mouse, Guppy fish, firetrucks, trains.
    Have a super productive day!

Oh my gosh mug brownie?? Need to try that.
    I can’t believe Hunter is going to be one so soon! Maybe a dinosaur birthday? I dunno I just saw a picture of him in that dino costume from one of your previous post suggestions. :)
    Today I’m heading back to school (first day after the break— yes, they gave us a two day week), going to dance, and hopefully snuggling up to watch the snow fall!

I had to take Addie to the pediatrician last week, and I asked about her 9 month well-visit … evidently, she doesn’t get shots at her 9 month! She doesn’t get them again until 12 months. So maybe it’s the same for Hunter? I hope so!! :)

Have a great day, friend. Love you!

Hunter had to get a Hepatitis-B shot because he was behind on them since he didn’t get one when he was first born since he was in the NICU. It didn’t really phase him though, so it was no biggie. ;) I hope you had a great day too! Love you back!!

I’m starting to pack away our Christmas decorations today, too. I’m sad about taking them down though – they’re easily my favorite decorations of the year!
    As for Hunter’s birthday party themes – trains, trucks, animals/zoo, dr. seuss, sesame street or elmo?

Yep…. I’m ready to get that Christmas stuff down and outta here. It’s funny how exciting it is to get it all out, but after all of the festivities, I’m always ready to put it all back up. I always look on Etsy and Pinterest for b-day ideas and of course search google…. there are so many different ideas.

I planned to take down my decorations yesterday, but that didn’t happen so…maybe today? Over the weekend, at least ;-)
    And definitely noted on the mug brownie! I do adore brownies over cake, so I’ll have to make myself one of those.

You are still in 2013, it seems. Check out your header, lol!! I have a feeling I will be doing that ALOT!!

Christmas stuff has been down since last week and my house seems so clean again. I love the decorations being up in December but it does feel good to get back to normal!

LOL! Oh my goodness! Good catch, thank you. It always takes me awhile to get used to writing out the new year! ;)

8. Becky says

For my son’s first birthday next month, I am keeping it simple with no real “theme”. I’m just going to use bright colors and LOTS of pictures from the year for decorations.

I’m with you….excited to celebrate but so emotional about it. Can’t believe it’s almost here!

First of all, love the mullet! I had one too :)
    We had a low key NYE, went to a friend’s house for supper and games but headed home by 10 to put baby to bed then we passed out by 11!
    What about an animal theme? Either barnyard or sea?
    We took our Christmas stuff down on the weekend, the clutter was getting to me!
    Today I am doing the yoga meltdown DVD, going to a play date and meal planning for next week :)

10. ErikaMC says

For our son’s first birthday party we did a farm theme. The cake was cow print and I hung up animal and barn printout that matched his nursery theme. His second birthday was red trucks and I even made a 3D truck cake (I greatly impressed myself with that one).

I was planning on taking down Christmas stuff yesterday but decided against it until the weekend. Since we were home all day together we took advantage of it to be lazy instead of productive.

My Christmas decorations are still up, but I’m definitely ready to take them down. I love the holidays, but it’ll be nice to get back into my normal routine again… not to mention my normal eats! I’m pretty sure my stomach is -still- recovering from all the holiday feasting.

And your NYE sounds a lot like mine… except we didn’t have the awesome crowns :( Good food, good friends, and good laughs are the best way to welcome the new year, if you ask me. Happy 2014, Ashley!

I was totally done with Christmas too and we took done all the decorations on New Year’s Day. Felt so good to have some of our space back! And love that pic of the boys…so cute!!

13. Amanda N says

In my family we always left the tree up until Kings Day (January 6th) but since my husband and I have hosted New Years for our friends, we usually take everything down to make more space for games and food! I miss the decorations but at the same time, after New Years there is a lot less to clean up! Our theme this year was “Around the World” and involved food and drink (and dressing up!) from all over. Lots of fun! I know the Very Hungry Caterpillar is a popular theme for little kids but you can easily do something like football or sports in general. Or trains or firetrucks? Good luck choosing a theme!

I’m starting to think about Aiden’s first birthday party too, which is in March. I don’t really know what theme I’m going to go with either. I’ll probably just do the ONE theme with lots of bright colors and then when he actually starts to like characters or things in the future, I’ll start doing themes. I can’t believe that we’re planning birthday parties. I kinda want to ignore it too.

15. Katie says

To ring in the New Year…I was asleep by 9 haha…I just wanted to get some sleep after all the holiday hustle & bustle…It felt so great to wake up in the New Year refreshed! Christmas decorations are still up & I think they will be for a few more weeks :) since we have one more Christmas celebration with my In-laws. Since they live out of state we had to wait! I also have been thinking about Birthday ideas…And I might do Curious George since his room is Monkey’s? If you get a lot of ideas maybe you could do a future post on Birthday themes ;)… I need some help with creativity haha THREE things we are doing today 1. Drake’s 9 month appointment. 2. Eating a meal that includes veggies ;) 3. Working on doing some room rearrangement

Haha, well, creativity isn’t exactly my strong point either. We’ll have to work on it together. I love the Curious George idea – very cute!

We took down Christmas yesterday :( It was really symbolic and bittersweet since it was my last unmarried Christmas that I woke up in my bed and did everything how we’ve always done it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m super excited to marry Christian, but there’s still that part of me that doesn’t want things to change. Boooo. #endrandomdeepthought ;)

I totally get it. The nostalgia is hard sometimes, but think about all the fun, new memories and traditions you’ll get to start with Christian!

Sounds like a great New Years! Ours was very low-key as we didn’t get home until 2am NYE morning due to a delayed connecting flight in Houston. We picked up our dogs, unpacked, did laundry, grocery shopped, took down the Christmas decorations, and cleaned the house- didn’t even make it to midnight, but at least it was a super productive day! Everyone above listed the themes I thought of and they’re all great- what is Cody thinking? Maybe a favorite football (Chicago Bears, haha) or baseball team (especially if his birthday is in the Spring when baseball is in season- go Cubs!). I’m all about budgeting and saving so maybe instead of doing a specific theme (I’m sure everything involving a children’s party has to add up!), focus on his favorite color(s)? Just an idea- I know you guys will do something neat!

As much as I love Christmas decor, after about a month, I’m ready for things to get back to normal. It is kinda bittersweet though!

Voted! He’s so cute! We took down all our Christmas stuff New Years day and it was kind of sad. Plus since we moved in and decorated for Christmas at the same time I was kind of at a loss for what to put where the Christmas stuff was. Which meant I had to make a trip to Home Goods today :-)

I love productive days, makes me feel better about relaxing evenings! I don’t know much about little boys birthday parties, but I know you’ll come up with something that will make wonderful memories for you all.