Hungry Beast Mode

Dude.

This half marathon training (+ nursing) business is already making me one hungry beast! I “officially” started my training yesterday with a Pump Class and a 2 mile run. It went great, but I swear I was eating all.day.long. I’ve been regularly going to Pump Class 2-3 times per week, and I typically notice I’m hungrier on those days, but I was even more hungry yesterday. Those 2 miles must’ve pushed me over the edge!

Speaking of half marathon training, I sincerely want to thank each of you for your encouraging and supportive comments yesterday! They all meant so much to me. I also appreciate all of your advice regarding my training plan. I decided to change up a couple things based on some of your suggestions. I’m going to nix my Monday spin workout in favor of a shorter run, and I’m also going to do more of a gradual climb of miles for my long runs. Another FYI: I technically have ten weeks until race day, so I plan to use one week as a “buffer” in case I have a bad week and another week as a tapering week right before my half.

My updated training plan:

halftrainingplan

So anyways, back to the eating thing.

Peas and Crayons

Breakfast was my usual oatmeal with peanut butter stirred in and topped with defrosted mixed berries. I know, my breakfasts are always so exciting, right? Winking smile

Capture

Recycled photo – no more Christmas tree!

After I did my devotions, drank my coffee, nursed Hunter, and got us both dressed, we headed out the door to the gym. We were late, per usual. I really don’t know how this happens every single week, but it’s something I really want to work on. I always miss a big chunk of the legs portion of our Pump Class, and that’s one of my favorite parts!

We got home, and I fed Hunter some solids (baby oatmeal + pears to be exact!), and laid him down for his morning nap. Naps are getting to be much better these days – thank goodness! That last “Wonder Week” was a rough one! I also grabbed a quick protein packed snack of plain Greek yogurt with Designer Whey Strawberry Protein Powder stirred in and topped with salted almonds. This is my new favorite snack – protein packed, low in sugar, and yummy!

wiaw1

I used his nap time to shower, get ready for the day, clean up the house a bit, and eat lunch. Lunch was leftover quiche (look for the recipe some time next week),

wiaw2

and a slice of wheat toast spread with salted sweet cream butter (my fav!).

By the time all was said and done, it was time to wake him up and head out the door again. We were meeting one of my good friends for coffee to just catch up and chat. It was so great to spend some time with her.

We made it home in time for Hunter’s afternoon nap, and I suddenly just felt exhausted. I’ve had this pesky little head cold, and the weather was dreary, so I’m blaming it on those two things. I did something I rarely ever do during the week – plopped on the couch and pretty much did nothing for an hour. This included browsing Pinterest, Instagram, blogs, and just laying there. It was pretty much perfect and just what I needed. Somewhere in there I snacked on a couple clementines.

And then shortly after, I was feeling carbs + peanut butter, so I went for it. Oatmeal with a big spoonful of peanut butter did the trick!

I decided to get my butt back in gear and returned some emails and worked on some church stuff. Shortly after, Hunter woke up so I nursed him, and we played on the floor for a bit. Let me just say, the boy is cruisin’! He is so close to crawling, it’s not even funny. He starts trying to crawl, and then you can tell he is thinking, “Ah, screw it, rolling is faster.” It makes me laugh every time!

I let Hunter have some independent play time while I worked on cleaning the bathrooms and folding some laundry.

We played some more, and then it was time to feed Hunter some solids and work on dinner. He nibbled on some peas and bell pepper while I worked on making Cranberry Kale Turkey Burgers for dinner. (Thanks for the recipe, Katie! Smile) The only change I made was substituting goat cheese for bleu cheese. Yummm. They were so good!

wiaw4

Cody came home, we put Hunter to bed, and then enjoyed our dinner while catching up on our days.

The rest of the evening was spent blogging, watching How I Met Your Mother (our new Netflix show!), and reading.

Oh, and how can I forget? Eating, of course. Remember that mug brownie I told you all about last week? That’s been a nightly thing … it’s just so, so, so good. Topped with peanut butter made it even more decadent and wonderful.

wiaw3

I just realized I eat a lot of food out of mugs. Anyone else?

P.S. I’m really trying to get a little better at this whole photography thing. I don’t think it’ll ever be a huge hobby of mine, but I would like my photos to at least look decent. My main struggle is when it’s dark outside. Any tips you guys have?! I know a light box is an option, but I’m not sure I want to have to deal with all of that. Would love to hear some of your tips!

Do you notice an increase in your appetite when you’re training for a longer race?

I need some healthy snack ideas! I feel bored with everything. Help?!

What TV show(s) are you watching lately?

Do you have a daily/nightly dessert that you like to enjoy?

Comments

being home for the last three days has made me the biggest snack monster EVER! seriously, i didn’t even sit down for dinner last night because i snacked my way through the day! must plate food today! haha and we looooove the show parenthood!!!!

Mmmm…look forward to that quiche recipe!! It looks quite tasty! I think a great snack is energy balls! They’re so easy to make and there are so many amazing recipes out there. There definitely a snack I enjoy fairly often!

3. Katie says

Umm can I just tell you that you made my ENTIRE day & it’s only 7 AM :D Thanks Ash…your shout out means a lot! xoxo I LOVE eating out of mugs & mason jars haha The only show I’m watching lately is the bachelor (guilty face) Lately I have been enjoying just a piece of chocolate with sea salt dipped in a nut butter :)

Gorgeous quiche!!! Can’t wait for the recipe!!!! No that I’m an egg nut! Chocolate chia pudding (Angela has a good one up!) or chocolate avocado pudding. I love leftover sweet potato with plain yoghurt and almond butter! Or a pear or apple in the microwave with almond butter and plain yoghurt! My fruity snack bars are super handy to make…you’ll have 9 to last you over a week or freeze some!

Your revised training plan looks great. A good balance of running, strength, and rest. Now that Homeland is over, I don’t have a regular TV show that I watch every week. I do love the cooking shows like Chopped and Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives and home improvement shows like House Hunters. I love seeing what you can get for your money in different states.

I have been watching Parenthood on Netflix thanks to you! :) I also started the Bachelor and Pretty Little Liars is back so I will be watching that too! I am interested in seeing how you like the 3 days of running v. 2! When I trained I seemed to alternate between 2 and 3 days of week running just to keep an eye on my knees and energy. You do a great job listening to your body so I know you will be just fine staying flexible for finding what works best for you! :)

I actually know my appetite and weight go up when I’m training for something just because I eat more! So yes, I can relate! And I ALWAYS have something sweet before bed (minus that pesky first trimester). Last night I made funfetti blondes and they are to die for!

I like this plan much better. I am sure that with being active you can start long runs from 4 miles and it is good to gradually increase. I am also sure that on a run day you can add up from 10 to 13, that sounds fine. Good luck!
    I ate my lunch 1,5 hours ago and am already snacking a huge cup of blueberry yogurt! I guess its normal when training for a half

I started watching the Bachelor the other night. I haven’t watched that show in a few seasons, but it was one the other night so I stopped to watch it.

My hunger has been a little monster lately as well, and I’m not even training for anything! I blame it on the cold weather and dark days… aaaaand the fact that my body is still probably used to getting a little spoiled over the holidays :lol:

Snacks… Lately I’ve been doing a lot of baking, so granola bars, energy bites, cookies, muffins, and… err… birthday cake. But I’m going to go ahead and lump that last one into the “healthy for the soul” category ;)

11. Laura says

So I’m late to the party on this, but one thing that I’d suggest keeping in mind as you train for your half-marathon (yay!) is recovery! If your gym has a foam roller, use it!! We all know you can do it :) as long as you stay healthy! So proactive icing and rolling are my two tips. My hubby and I swear by these as methods to prevent injury when marathon training. The hard part is motivating myself to do it… but the threat of injury is pretty good motivation… ; )

Thanks Laura! I have a foam roller at home, but I haven’t used it in awhile…I need to get it back out and put it to use!

I have seen that! I’m just not sure I want to store a massive light box in our tiny house… We’ll see though, I may just end up doing that.

I definitely notice an increase in my appetite when I do longer training runs. I’m sure it’s even more so with nursing.
    Happy training! (and btw, your plan looks great :D).

13. Mia says

Fuel the body! However, I notice I am usually hungrier on my rest days vs workout days. Not sure why, so I just go with it. Body needs the fuel so I’m not going to deprive it!
    I HAVE to try this mug cake. I already have the recipe saved, just haven’t made it yet. Right now my go to evening snacks has been banana honey cake slathered in nut butter and ice cold almond milk.

We have been watching Downton Abbey…only in season 3, but love it. HIMYM is awesome! I can’t believe it’s the last season of it!

14. Suzanne says

Hi, I’m a long time reader, but have never commented before. In regards to photography… I don’t personally have any tips, but something that has been helping me is Lindsay from the Pinch of Yum blog (www.pinchofyum.com). She has recently posted 2 different entries regarding household items to improve food photography. If you search on her site for “food photography” or “photography tips” she has a plethora of blog posts to choose from. She has also written some ebooks as well that may offer some good tips.

Really been meaning to try that mug cake! You make it sound so good! Lately I’ve been loving cheddar cheese and crackers for snack time (although I’ll admit, the cheese is really a pregnancy craving). And yes! I’ve been sick this week so the tv has really gotten more time than I’d like to admit, but right now I’m loving Downton Abbey, Parenthood, The Bachelor and Grey’s Anatomy on Hulu! That makes it sound like I watch a ton of tv haha, but Downton Abbey and The Bachelor happen to both premier this past week or I wouldn’t normally watch so many shows!

as soon as i start to up my miles, i get HUNGRY like a beast. FOR SURE> But you need those good calories. and man, your food looks good so keep it up woman!

Yeah, and obviously my miles aren’t even high yet… I think yesterday it was just the combo of an intense Pump Class + a couple miles + nursing! I can’t imagine what I’ll be like when I start upping my mileage! Ha!

17. Amanda N says

I notice I’m hungrier on days I run too, and a lot thirstier…I try to drink a lot during the day but it doesn’t always happen. Revised training plan looks good! I eat a lot of food out of bowls….less likely I will make a mess by spilling/knocking off food that way. Guilty pleasure TV show of mine (and my husband too) is Pretty Little Liars and it started again last night, so excited to watch it Friday with him haha

I love How I Met Your Mother! Unfortunately I finished all of the episodes on Netflix. I am loving Scandal now. I have been wanting to try a mug brownie or a mug cookie for a while but I have not gotten around to it yet.

Wow, so exciting training for a half marathon. I can’t even imagine how hungry you must be all the time.

New snack ideas sound wonderful. I need some too. Lately, I have been into peanuts and m &m’s. It is such a wonderful mix of salty and sweet. :) And it is quick and easy.

I remember when I would train for a half marathon I wouldn’t be hungry after long runs but would be starving every other day! I still eat more on days I get in a good workout.
    I’ve been looking into a light box as well and found this great tutorial on Oh She Glows. http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/26/how-to-make-a-light-box/ It’s on my “honey-do” list for this weekend :-) I’ve seen some on amazon for pretty reasonable though too.

21. Sharon T says

Yummy eats! That’s great you can use the online community to keep you accountable for your training. I know that’s super helpful to a lot of people. good luck! :)

I’m always hungrier when I up my workouts! Especially the day after for whatever reason. I think you just have to go with it and give your body what it needs :)

I’m no expert with photography, but I usually try to find the best lighting inside when it’s dark, take my photo without flash, and then use a program (I have Cannon ZoomBrowser EX that came with my Cannon PowerShot years ago) to adjust the photo lightness/darkness, contrast, etc.

Not sure if my appetite increased as I’m ALWAYS hungry anyway. BTW I’m sitting here eating oatmeal with PB2 9 (powdered peanut butter) with blueberries. I eat that every day for breakfast. TV shows I’m watching now? Oh so many! I love Chicago Fire, Nashville, Agents of Shield, Revenge, The Blacklist…I have Hulu so I watch a lot on the weekends. Cheap entertainment. Keep up the good work with your training. This week is my longer week (11 miles) before I taper!