7 Miles of Thoughts

How was everyone’s weekend?!

We had a MUCH better weekend compared to last weekend – thank goodness!

A few tid bits for you:

Girls’ night!

We had a “nail party”, and I got shellac done for the first time. I’m officially hooked.

We had plenty of yummy snacks and drinks, lots of laughs, and an all around great time.

Cody and I had an at home date night after Hunter went to bed on Saturday. Cody made us dinner and totally impressed me with a garlic shrimp pasta, asparagus, and chardonnay all by candlelight. Pretty fancy, eh? It was pretty much perfect.

Capture

On Saturday afternoon, I headed out for my long run (7 miles). I decided to take a pretty hilly route, which was kind of bittersweet. It was a very mentally challenging run, but I felt good throughout it so I knew I’d finish strong.

I thought it’d be kinda fun to share some of the thoughts I had swirling around my brain during this run:

Starting out on a hill right away was a BAD idea. Yikes.

Pshh, whatever, I got this. I’m feelin’ pretty dang good right now.

Crap, it’s chilly. Maybe it was a bad idea to do this run outside.

Hell yeah, I’m flyin’.

I really hope one of these cars don’t hit me.

Speaking of the cars, I wonder what they are thinking of me right now? Are any of them staring at me like I do when I see a runner on the side of the road? Does that sound creepy? Yeah, probably.

Well, just in case any of them ARE staring at me, I better look like I am strong. Yeah, I got this.

LOVE this song. (Brave by Sara Bareilles) I just want to start dancing. I bet the cars driving by would just love that. Ha!

OK, there’s that monster hill up ahead. I’m going to kill it. C’mon Ashley, you gotta look badass in case anyone is watching you.

Pshh, whatever, I need to do this for myself! Who cares what they think?!

Hmmm, what song should I choose to help push me up that hill? It’s all you again, Sara.

This hill has nothin’ on me. I totally got it.

Holy hell, this is hard.

I can’t stop. I won’t stop. Because then I won’t be able to get going again. Keep going, Ashley.

You got this, you got this, you got this!

Does this hill ever end?!?! It just keeps going!

I definitely need another good song. I hope I’m feelin’ the next one because I don’t have the energy to look at my iPod right now.

C’mon Ashley, you can do tough things.

OK seriously, hills are a bitch. SO HARD.

Running is so mental, Ashley. Just do it.

Almost there. Just run to that post and then it’s all downhill.

Ah yes, downhill! It never felt so good.

One mile left – that’s nothin’. I’m almost done!

My foot! It’s not bugging me! And my hip! It’s not painful! YES! The foam rolling and stretching are paying off!

Yay! I’m almost done! Where did the time go?!

Runner’s high is the best feeling ever. I can do aaaaaaaaanything!

I’m home! I’m DONE!

Capture

Yep, pretty much just fell straight to the ground when I walked in the door. I was mentally and physically drained. Typically I’m able to zone out and think about a bunch of other random things during easier runs, but this one, I was pretty much JUST thinking about my run. I was pushing myself and encouraging myself the entire time. It wasn’t easy. But wow, I felt amazing when I was finished – so proud, so strong, so awesome.

Have you ever had shellac on your nails?

How often do you have date nights with your spouse or significant other?

Do you enjoy long distance running?

What did you do this weekend?!

Comments

We are needing a date night (not many since the baby was born) but we have been creative like you two by having ice cream and talk time when the baby gets to bed.
    I do enjoy long distance running. Great job on your run!!!

uhhh shellac is definitely addicting! i try to alternate between shellac and regular polish – i find both polishes last longer that way! and you know i love your sparkly nail hehe

Haha I loved these 7 miles of thoughts! You totally crushed that hill, I can tell ;)
    I’ve never done shellac before, but I’ve heard that it lasts for a really long time!
    This weekend I also had a girls night at a cute little French café for Friday night desserts! And I also vlogged like a boss since I was lonely on Super Bowl Sunday…. It was a good time.

Girls night sounds like such a blast! I have yet to try shellac on my nails yet, but I really need to asap. I love the idea that it lasts for a few weeks!

Awesome job on your run, and I loved reading your thoughts during it!

you are so funny! I did an 11 mile run this weekend and pretty much had ALL of the same thoughts. It’s so funny how you feel strong on minute, and like you can’t make it the next.

I love “Brave”. I need to get that one on my iPod. “Roar” is a really good one, too!

Awesome job on your run, girl! I’ve never gone that far in one go, but I can imagine that it must feel pretty damn amazing. Heck, even getting to 4 without stopping makes me feel pretty accomplished. And I’ve heard really good things about shellac, but I’m kind of afraid to try it for myself because I know I’d probably get hooked on it and I’m not sure I could add another addiction to my list :shock:

Brilliant!!! Whatever works and helps you make it through. Are you enjoying it or is it just torture? When I started finding running such torture I stopped. I some Interval training with sprints but I have really been running the past 5 or so months. The long distances just killed me! Very pretty pic of you with the cocktail!

The fact that I felt amazing toward the end is definitely not torture. I’ve been loving it! The hill was a little torturous, I will admit, but it also made me feel so strong afterward.

Your girls night looks like so much fun! I ran 6.5 miles yesterday and had many similar thoughts to yours, especially about the cars haha. I always get running envy when I see other runners, so I wonder if people look at me too when I’m out running.

Haha! I couldn’t really tell you to be honest. All I know is that I love the shellac! The shellac is applied like a polish (painted on), but then you have to “bake it” under a UV light. I know it lasts for right around 2 weeks. I’m loving it so far!

Unless you have people to watch… ;) I do that at the gym sometimes, but you’re right, outdoors is still a lot better for longer runs!

9. Katie says

I have gotten shellac on my nails & LOVED it. I can’t wait to get them done again! Josh & I need to have date nights more often, however this weekend we had a great one :) I love long distance running, however lately I’m moving into strength training, I want my muscles back! This weekend was wonderful…Church, naps, cake tasting, sushi & hanging at home! P.S… I’m so JEALOUS of your girls night!

I have a feeling I’ll be more than ready to get back into more strength training by the time my half is over! As much as I love running, I don’t think it’s something I could do year around. Sounds like you had a great weekend!!

I’ve had the shellac done a few times, but I save it for special occasions or vacations. My husband and I have date nights at least once a week whether it’s making a nice, homemade dinner together, going out to eat at a favorite place or trying somewhere new, watching a movie at home or going to the theater, or going hiking/shopping, etc. He’s off today (army gets a 3 or 4 day weekend every month!) so we’re hitting up Costco, Ashley Furniture, trying a new place downtown for lunch, and gong to see Labor Day. I prefer intervals over long distance running!

I have a love/hate relationship with Shellac. I love it for the time that it’s on and looks good which is usually a couple three weeks but when it does start to look rough, getting it off is a B*$. :) Soak soak soak…

Love the dinner…looks fabulous!

• Amanda N says

I had shellac nails for my wedding, great because they still looked good after the honeymoon. Definitely took forever and almost a whole bottle to remove!

Love your nails! I have never done anything with my nails, except I had a manicure for my wedding. I used to chew them too – yuck.
    Date nights are usually one a month without baby out of the house, but at least once a month at home we have a movie night or something after she goes to bed.
    I love running, long distance too. I like runs around 10-15km the best.

Oh my goodness, you make me want to run!!! (I should today, riiiiight!??!!). I definitely stare at runners and I’m sure they do it to me too, and I totally agree about the not stopping because that’s probably what they’re waiting for (or at least I do – is that mean?!?! haha).

Never had shellac done, but would totally do it. Although I can’t with this semester of school and working in the restaurant; all polishes have to be removed prior to entrance in the kitchen on Tuesday’s so maybe that can be my reward in April!!

14. Melissa says

Ok, I am a horrible friend/reader since I haven’t commented in forever, but I am so loving that you are training for a half. Loving your running thoughts even more because they are oddly similar to mine-haha. I have to have that power song to get me through, for sure! There’s an Eminem song called “Till I Collapse” that is probably 10+ years old, but I never get tired of it!

Also, love the nails, especially the one sparkler! Saw that on instagram over the weekend and it made me want a mani!

XOXO

What fun! I’m going to dinner with the girls tonight and I’m so excited. I love your hair color by the way! I’d say my husband and I do date night once a week but it’s not always official date night. Sometimes it’s takeout and movies, sometimes it’s actually going out somewhere.

I have never had shellac on my nails, but I would love to try it! My hubby and I try to go on a date night at least once a week, but I’m sure that will change soon when we have a little one :) I LOVE long distance running, but haven’t done over 5 miles since I got pregnant. My doctor told me not to up my mileage, and I hadn’t been running over 5 miles before. I am thinking of doing another half marathon after she comes though :) This weekend I enjoyed a date night with my hubby, and a fun super bowl party at my sister’s house :) Yay!!! It looks like you had an awesome weekend as well!

You can still do at-home date nights! Cody and I are a huge fan of those. ;) They’re much cheaper and way more convenient!

17. Amanda N says

Great job on the 7 mile run! 7 Miles was a mentally tough run for me too (and I only had a small hill). My 8 mile run this weekend felt great though. I felt fresh still after the first half and kept my pace through the second – much faster than my 7 miler overall. I also raced a 5K the next day and was only about 30 seconds away from my 5K PR. I’m not sure how I pulled it off but I think its because 1) I wore compression gear after my long run and 2) I’m getting better in general and stretching is helping.

Weekend also consisted of test driving some cars! We’re thinking of buying a new car and trading mine in before it drops too much in value (its paid off and the intention was to trade it in after 5 years or so anyway). It was a lot of fun but now it will be tough to choose which route we’d like to go.

Wow! Great job on your runs – that’s awesome! What brand of compression gear do you use? I’ve been living in mine since Saturday. :) What types of cars are you looking at?! Sounds fun!

• Amanda N says

We’re looking at the crossover SUVs – we wan a little more space/cargo and I want AWD. I have a pair of Aspaeris Pivot shorts (I’ve also run in them a few times but prefer them for recovery) and some Zensah calf sleeves. Both are great products.

I LOVE shellac! I make sure to budget for it, so I can get it done every pay day :) It’s so weird, but I feel more confident when my nails look good. Mainly because if I DON’T have a shellac manicure, I pick at my cuticles until my fingers are bloody stubs. Cute, I know.

19. Melanie Doe says

So funny story, for some reason my internet was being slow and I almost didn’t read your post today, then I did and saw that you must know my friend Amanda! We grew up on the same street when we were little : ) Also, just got a kit to do shellac nails at home and I love it, they last for so long

Love Shellac manicures! I go through phases with them… a long stretch of getting them religiously every two weeks, then not at all! Right now I’m in a not at all stretch. Whenever I stop and think that I’m spending $80/month on manicures, I’m like yeahhh I guess I don’t REALLY need to do that!

I’ve never had a shellac but it looks super cute! What a fun girls night! Love your running thoughts. I haven’t ran that far in ages but do remember those long training runs like they were yesterday. Before you know it you’ll be running 12 thinking back to how easy 7 was!

Hah! I love your running thoughts. Some of those definitely sound familiar :) I love a good long run, but I do better if I have someone to run with. If I’m not training for anything in particular and I set out for a long run, I am very prone to thinking, “Eh, I don’t NEED to run that far… 4 is still a good workout… I’ll turn around now.”
    The dinner Cody made you looks amazing!! So sweet that he did that! :)

My husband and I rarely have date nights. In fact I don’t think we’ve had one in over two years (since our daughter was born). We live out of state from family and just haven’t met anyone who we would feel comfortable leaving our daughter with. With a second on the way our OBGYN said to call her daughters to babysit a few times before the next baby gets here and that she would even come over to help out or we could bring out daughter to her place. So, I think we’ll take her up on her offer!

I’m not a fan of running long distances but every now and again get into running long distances. I haven’t had one of those moods for a while though. I can usually run about 4-6 miles comfortably and then I hit my limit. If I’m outdoors I can last a lot longer though!