Deciding What to Eat

Hey, hey!

We’re already halfway through the week, believe it or not! It’s been a busy one over here.

Well, I suppose I’ve made it busy for myself. I’m hosting a little Valentine’s Day shindig for my mom’s group on Friday, so I’ve been making myself busy prepping for that.

Oh, the details!

I could make it super simple, throw out some store bought cupcakes, and call it good, but that’s just not my style. Apparently I like to make things complicated. Winking smile But, I really do enjoy it all. I love to host and entertain, so this sort of thing is right up my alley. Now to just get a bigger house!

Moving on to food…

It is What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW) after all! (<—click on the link to learn more about it!)

Peas and Crayons

I thought it may intrigue some of you if I went into a little more detail about how I decide what to eat for each of my meals and snacks. Quite honestly, I don’t put nearly as much thought as I used to into my food choices (this is a good thing for me because it used to be way too obsessive!), but I still try to be mindful about how I’m fueling my body. Let’s take a peek into (most of) my eats from yesterday, and I’ll explain.

breakfast: “Cookie Dough Cereal” (aka oats, protein powder, cinnamon, peanut butter, almond butter, topped with berries)

What I aim for in a breakfast:

• Easy/convenient
  • A good balance of carbohydrates, healthy fats, and protein
  • A serving (or two) of fruit or veggies
  • Delicious
  • Sweet (I’m just more of a sweet breakfast kinda gal. This isn’t to say I love savory breakfasts occasionally though.)

AKA Why I love the above “Cookie Dough Cereal” – it accomplishes all of the above no problem!

post workout snack: plain Greek yogurt mixed with Designer Whey Almond Vanilla protein powder, topped with chia seed and almonds

wiaw1

What I aim for in a post workout snack:

• Easy/convenient
  • High in protein
  • Delicious

lunch: kale salad with turkey, cranberries, almonds, & goat cheese drizzled with poppyseed dressing

wiaw2

plus…

What I aim for in a lunch:

• Easy/convenient (are you sensing a theme here?!)
  • A large serving size of veggies
  • High in protein and healthy fats

afternoon snack: banana and Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams

wiaw4

What I aim for in an afternoon snack:

• Easy/convenient
  • Basically, whatever I feel like eating! (without going overboard, of course)

I try to make this a healthy snack to help me get to dinner, but sometimes it ends up being a brownie or a peanut butter/chocolate chip spoon!

dinner: Four-Bean Vegetarian Chili w/ Cheesy Italian Quick Bread

Bad lighting + hungry Ashley = terrible photo!

What I aim for in a dinner:

• Can be prepped/assembled in 30 minutes or less
  • A serving (or two) of vegetables
  • A protein source
  • Delicious

dessert: Mug Brownie

wiaw5

What I aim for in a dessert:

• Single serving (for convenience sake & to help me keep my portion control in check)
  • Whatever I’m feeling!

———————————————————————————-

Are you generally more simple or detail-oriented?

How do YOU decide what to eat?

Do you put a lot of thought into your meals/snacks or not so much?

What was the best thing you ate yesterday?

Comments

love this! I think you and I are very similar – all about the convenience and balance :). Though I’m working on not obsessing so much about having perfectly sized portions and just enjoying what I want, when I want it.

Wow check out that mug brownie!! I could dive into that. I just had some vegetarian chili this weekend. A local restaurant makes it here and they always season it perfectly. And now I’m craving it again!

Some days I put a lot of thought into my meals, some days I don’t. In terms of sweet and savory, my meals are pretty consistent though…Breakfast has fruit (always!), Lunch is heavier on veggies, afternoon Snack typically has fruit or something a bit sweeter, and then Dinner consists of more savory foods and veggies again.

I’m all about easy and convenient when it comes to meal planning. I think that’s why I love the slow cooker so much – throw it all in and walk away.

The best thing I ate yesterday was a raw kale salad with pine nuts, red onion and craisins. It was deeelicious!

I don’t put as much thought into what I eat as I used to. I aim for balanced, healthy, quick meals now and whatever that may be is fine. I also really like to make a bigger batch of whatever I’m making so we have leftovers.

I’m with you on the simple meal process – so much easier that way! I just try to make sure they include a good balance of carbs, fats and protein, there’s usually some sort of produce involved (but not always) and that it satisfies a craving. If it matches all those, I’m happy!

7. Naomi says

I am definitely more simple! I am terrible with party planning type stuff as well as decorating a house or apartment. It just isn’t my thing. My meals tend to be pretty simple too!

Haha! It seems like it’s gotten even smaller since Hunter came along… ;) I LOVE that bread – it’s one of my favorites!

Loved getting a sneak peak into the thought process behind your meals, and I can definitely relate to wanting to eat mindfully without getting too obsessive. Back in the day, I would literally spend HOURS planning out my meals so that they were ‘perfectly’ balanced and laid out — definitely not normal. These days I more or less know what works for me, so it’s a lot easier to just go with the flow.

Yes, I was right there with you on the obsessive thing! So NOT fun! I’m glad we’re both past that and can look at food in a healthier way. :)

That brownie looks tasty! The best thing I ate yesterday was quesadillas made with black beans and daiya, topped with lots of salsa and so delicious coconut milk ice cream for dessert! :) These days I’m all about simple healthy meals just because they are convenient!

Yummm that Reese’s heart looks delicious! I’ve been hinting to Christian to buy me them but I don’t know if he got the hint ;) For my meals, I just aim to get a good mix of protein, carbs and fat. Snacks are the same idea as you: whatever sounds good (reasonably)! That breakfast looks so perfect!

Easy and convenient are totally high on my list, too!!! I think I used to be more detail-oriented but am becoming more simple, although, I liked detail-oriented Char better haha!! I hope your little v-day party on Friday goes great!!

12. Amanda N says

I put too much time into think what to eat/make for meals. Seriously waste so much time starting at the fridge/pantry and recipes. I do so much better when I plan ahead but I don’t always do that. I guess I like my meals complicated? Best thing I ate yesterday was my random dinner….roasted zucchini and cauliflower over baby spinach topped with fresh bruschetta and feta with a side of grilled cheese. It was so good!

veggie chili sounds deeeeelish!! And that salad?! YUMMO!

I too go for convenient on pretty much everything–so that is why it’s key for me to have fresh ingredients ON HAND, or else chips for a snack it is! hah

I am incredibly detail oriented. I was an event planner for 6 years so it comes with that ;)
    I meal plan all suppers for lunches and based off that, if supper lacks veggies, lunch might be a salad or if supper is lighter I might add more carbs or heavy foods into lunch. Breakfast just depends, usually almond butter and toast or oatmeal in this cold weather!
    I had leftover Thai Peanut Chicken Quinoa from Iowa Girl Eats for lunch – so good!

15. Katie says

I used to be very detail-oriented but now simple is better! I usually make my breakfast the night before because I never know how much time I’ll have in the AM or what kinda patience Drake will have ;) I always decide what to eat on my hunger cues, cravings and if I worked out or not! I usually have a high protein/good carb ratio right after a workout. I try to meal plan with a lot of thought so then throughout the week I don’t have too! Best thing I ate yesterday… Fresh Strawberries & Blackberries with Chocolate :D

16. Stacey M. says

Well, because I eat pretty much the same foods for breakfast and lunch everyday, it makes “planning” much easier. I too have been enjoying that cookie dough cereal for months now and still can’t get enough! I tried switching it up on Monday, but just missed this cereal so much I had to return to it. Lunch is always a Fage greek yogurt, chia seeds and some Ancient Grains granola, along with some kind of fruit (grapes, melon, apples, etc.). I like this lunch because it’s convenient, keeps me full for 3-4 hours, and I don’t have to warm it up (I work in a cube in a smallish office). Dinners are whatever I’m feeling that day, but they’re usually something savory. Yesterday, for example, I had a sweet apple chicken sausage link with sweet potatoes that I roasted in the oven over the weekend, along with some baby carrots. Delicious! I also like having chopped brussel sprouts salads with apples, walnuts, craisins and chicken sausage too. Soup or chili is also a great choice, and something I love to make because it’s easy and convenient.

I’m sorry, I was unable to pay attention to anything else once I saw the Reese’s. TRULY my biggest weakness. Thank goodness they make them for all holidays. I love hearts, trees, pumpkins. Now if only they could come up with one for over the summer?

Seriously!!! I’m totally with you on the summer Reese’s idea! Maybe a flag for the 4th of July?! Or something… We need to contact Reese’s and get them on board!

Love this post idea. Such a creative twist on WIAW. Girl, I’m totally like you…I love hosting, prepping for a party, and entertaining, but I often like to make it difficult for myself in the meantime. I’m sure it will turn out as cute as can be though!