My Sugar Intake Has Been A Tad Ridiculous Lately

This whole half marathon training + nursing thing has made me one hungry beast. No surprise there… It takes a lot of calories to support long distance running and nursing a baby!

But, I’m finding myself wanting to reach for sugary, carb-y snacks foods rather than nutritious snacks. As much as I’d like to say that I resist those sugar cravings, I often times don’t. Before I know it, I’ve realized that I’ve had multiple desserts in one day. Yikes!

This isn’t to say that the occasional dessert or indulgence is bad. In fact, I’m all about having chocolate or something sweet each day. I love, love, love my sweets! But, I also know that too much sugar leaves me with little energy and not enough nutrition.

I’ve been trying to be a little more mindful lately of what I’m grabbing to eat. Rather than a cookie, maybe some peanut butter on toast would be a better option. And, I probably don’t need the few extra pieces of chocolate throughout the day… I’ll save some for after dinner and leave it at that.

So, here’s my day of eats as I’m trying to cut back on the sugary snacks a little bit…  Dessert at the end of the day is always a must for me, but I think I did pretty well with the rest of the day!

Thanks for the What I Ate Wednesday link-up Jenn!

Peas and Crayons

Breakfast was this beautiful bowl of oatmeal and berries:

wiaw1

Quick oats stirred with peanut butter, White Chocolate Designer Whey, and topped with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and berries. Simple, filling, and delicious. It does the trick every time.

After Power Pump Class, I dug into one of these Ratio Bars that I got sent to try and review through a campaign with Fitfluential. I’ll give you a full review and recap on them soon, but so far, so good!

Capture

Lunch was a grilled chicken sandwich on a whole wheat bun from Chick-Fil-A. I know, Chick-Fil-A twice in two weeks?! Who am I?? I actually do like Chick-Fil-A, but I don’t like making a habit of going out to eat as often as I have lately. Things have been a little hectic around here, so I’ll let it slide for now.

Capture

My mom turned me on to one of my new favorite snacks: graham crackers with peanut butter. And Hunter turned me on to another one of my new favorite snacks: applesauce. Two of my favorite people apparently know what’s up. Winking smile I had both for  a little afternoon pick-me-up.

Capture

Oh dinner…

I had great intentions for it. I was going to make coconut chicken fingers with kale chips and roasted sweet potatoes. I was pretty stoked for it too. But, then we got locked out of our house.

Womp, womp.

Long story short, we eventually got back in about two hours later. It wasn’t exactly what I had envisioned for the evening, but it happens. I’m just thankful we were able to get in without having to spend a ton of money on a locksmith.

While we were waiting to get back into our house, we decided to hit up some fine dining nearby: Wendy’s. I ordered chili and a baked potato, but they were out of their baked potatoes. I kind of wanted to cry. I was already a hot mess from being locked out of our house, and all I wanted was a chili and baked potato! Don’t worry, I survived on chili and a salad a instead.

And then dessert was a must. Ice cream was necessary on so many levels.

wiaw5

Today is my last run before my half marathon on Saturday! Getting exciiiiited! Lots of foam rolling and laundry is also happening today. Wish me luck on both of those.

Do you have a big sweet tooth?

What are some of your current favorite low sugar snacks?

How many desserts/sweets do you typically have each day?

Do you like Chick-Fil-A?

Comments

I have been dealing with craving lots of sugar recently as well. I find on snow days, it is the worse…not sure why. I am ready to decrease my desserts to once a day again as well. Thanks for the encouragement!

I love chick-fil-a, but the nearest one is about 8 hours away (gasp!). And right now I’m a tad obsessed with mixing yogurt with some PB2, YUM.

Cannot even imagine your appetite from running plus nursing. I didn’t run while I was nursing but the appetite I have now just from running is enough to do me in! I love my sweets and when my appetite calls with a specific craving, I always answer. I don’t always crave sweet though from runger, it can range from random large bowls of actual food, lots of avocado or like last night, multiple apple slices, tons of peanut butter and lots of chocolate chips.

Girl. I feel you with the sugar. Some days are harder than others – I just try not to get myself in the “sweet tooth MO”.
    It was the weirdest thing. When I was doing hot yoga regularly I almost NEVER craved sugar and couldn’t get enough salt. Which does kind of make since due to the loss of sodium in my sweat.

5. Amy says

I’m addicted to graham crackers and applesauce too!
    I think it might have been Annette (fitnessperks) who turned you on to it. She posted the exact same snack on Instagram a week ago! But with cookie butter. Yum!

Like I said, my mom and Hunter gave me the ideas for the snacks. Must’ve just been coincidence about Annette having a similar snack. We’re good friends, so we just think alike I guess! ;)

Locked out of your house? Clearly not an awesome experience but one I’ve had happen to me before, too. Good you didn’t need to call a locksmith.
    My sugar cravings have been out of whack lately, too, though I can’t blame exercise as there hasn’t been much – or any for days on end now – of that. Depending on whether we’re counting PB & Co. peanut butter, too, along with my daily pieces of Lindt there have been multiple desserts a day ;) .
    One of my favourite rediscovered snacks lately is a chopped up microwaved apple topped with cinnamon and a spoonful of soy yogurt. Simple but good.

I definitely have a raging sweet tooth, so a dessert of some sort happens at least once a day (after dinner) and sometimes a mini dessert ( a square of chocolate or two) after lunch as well. I don’t think I’ve ever had Chick-Fil-A!

I love graham crackers with applesauce!! Such a fun snack–I’ve been eating the crackers with cookie butter. B/c it’s a kind of ‘butter’ I see it as almost like almond butter….haha! ;)

I am SO sorry you got locked out! Dang girl. That must have been SO frustrating. And then no baked potato?! WHO runs out of baked potatoes! You should have called me to vent.

xoxo

Oh I definitely have a sweet tooth! Lately I’ve been making homemade peanut butter cups that are made from organic PB, earth balance, brown rice krispies, and a little maple sugar and they are a great dessert! I find that eating fruit (maybe with a little chocolate) curbs my sweet tooth too!

10. Sharon says

I totally get that. I had something similar with the early months of parenting, and sleep deprivation. I think our bodies look to sugar for quick and easy energy – either when we’re tired or just working quite a bit harder than normal. I’ll bet it evens out after your half marathon! I really like Goats Milk Kefir and some nuts for a snack.

Good to hear u didn’t have to get a locksmith. I’ve not been locked out the house before but i have locked my car keys in the car before! D’oh, that was a tad annoying!

I can definitely relate to the raging sweet tooth. I went a little overboard with the sweets around Christmas, and I’m STILL trying to kill the sugar monster :lol: Getting there, but it’s been a pain in the butt for sure. Lately I’ve been turning to dried fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth, which isn’t horrible, but I can definitely overdo it on that front sometimes too.

13. Beth says

Where do you find shredded coconut? I cannot find it anywhere! I grew up on graham crackers and peanut butter. Great combination.

I am not normally a sweets person (please send salt my way!), but definitely crave it while I’m BFing. Especially KIND granola and Dove Dark Chocolate (which is SO weird b/c I’m not normally a chocolate person AT ALL). However, since I know this phase is short-lived (for me) – I’m enjoying it :)

15. Nicole says

Oh my gosh – I have such a big sweet tooth, they should think of changing it to a “Nicole Tooth”. Seriously – nothing is ever too sweet, nor can I get enough of it!

Low-sugar snack? Hmm…My grocery store (Ralph’s/Kroger) has “Carbmaster” yogurt. I like to put a tablespoon (or so!) of peanut butter in to a vanilla carbmaster yogurt. Salty/sweet and 3g of sugar! :)

I’m trying to be better about my sweets intake for Lent (I gave up sweets during the week), but that just leaves me to want more/bigger treats on the weekends, as witnessed by those around me on Sunday night. I gotta take on something for Lent rather than giving something up, methinks! :)

Just a few days until your half!! You’re ready!! You will rock it!!

Good luck on your half!!! I love Wendy’s baked potatoes lol I am a sucker for that broccoli & cheese one…something about “cheese” that probably isn’t real cheese that makes for a real “treat” ha! :P

I actually have a SALT tooth. Salt is my JAM! I would just lick a salt lick all day if I could! LOL! I do think I am kind of lucky in that respect! ;)

My favorite low sugar snack… Roasted butternut squash! OH YES MAM! With cinnamon! Mmmmmmm!!!!

18. Amanda N says

Glad you got back in your house without calling a locksmith! I’ve been craving a lot of sugar/dessert too. Doesn’t help we have leftover cookies/chocolates that people brought over this weekend. Ugh. At the most I have a dessert/sweet every other day. Of course if there isn’t any around I can go a week without it but if I baked some cookies…eating everyday until they’re gone!

Never been to a chick-fil-a. Don’t even know where the nearest one is…

19. Katie says

I think all my teeth are a “sweet tooth” grr.. Favorite low sugar snack, apple with nut butter & greek yogurt/cottage cheese with berries! I usually typically have a small piece of chocolate after lunch and then after supper have something sweet like a cookie or ice cream. I never really realized how much sugar I was taking in while breast feeding (Drake’s demands were so high, I felt like a cow), because my pants fit fine & I was just going with the cravings.. well fast forward to present time & no longer nursing, but still eating lots of sweets, let’s just say my pants were a big “snug” when I put them on last weekend! ha No more mindless eating… too bad we just can’t nurse forever ;)

Haha, I know, right?! Things are going to have slow wayyyy down when I’m done nursing and after this half marathon because running is going to be taking a backseat again after this weekend.

I have a big problem with sugar and I need to divorce myself from it. It has become out of control. I honestly believe it’s because I don’t eat enough and soon enough. I’m hungriest at lunch and I need to start eating more over lunch so I’m not craving the sweet stuff later in the day.

21. Alicia Y says

we dont have CF in MI but I have been buying Jimmy Johns waaaay more than I need to. For a sub, theyre expensive but the bread is so freaking addicting :-)

Huge sweet tooth but I manage to keep it in check. Typically have 1 c. ice cream as a bedtime snack. Since I gave this up for Lent though, Ive been having cookie dough oreos (amazing) or toasting a chocolate vitatop and spreading pb2 on it – tastes like gooey reeses pb cup :-) Definitely hitting Dairy Queen once Lent is done ;)

I’ve been hearing so many great things about those cookie dough Oreos! I need to get some! Mmmm LOVE DQ!

I totally understand you on the hunger thing. Since becoming pregnant, my hunger has been OUT OF CONTROL and since I’m still a little queasy, all I want is carbs. I’m hoping that gets better. :)

23. kolya says

Lots of ice cream for me too…low sugar though. Also, sweetening my plain yogurt with flavored stevias…fun stuff since they come in tons of varieties!

Love the grahams, pb and applesauce. I like to warm the applesauce too (w/ cinnamon occasionally). Might have to try warming the grahams/pb too (:

24. Alaina says

You are so inspiring with your training routine while still having such a young child! Your energy must be awesome! Just curious, when did you begin exercising after giving birth? I am almost 1 wk postpartum and am starting to miss that endorphin rush….Also a previous HAer, so you must understand how I feel!

25. Mia says

I like chick fil a salads and wraps. Was never a big bun fan, so I stick with the other options. Sweet tooth? Um yeah, I’m eating TJ’s chocolate baking chunks as I’m trying this! Favorite chocolate subs are frozen banana or strawberries, almond milk hot cocoa, dates stuffed with Artisana coconut butter then frozen, and ab or pb/ raspberry jam on a rice cake.
    I do like popcorn with mini chocolate chips sprinkled on top for a sweet/ salty combo.

Oh my gosh, do I have a sweet tooth? YES! It’s fascinating how certain things like training for a half make us crave different foods. :) I crave to the sweets at night, especially if I haven’t eaten enough healthy fats during the day. Good luck!

I’ve only had the chicken wrap from Chick fil A. When we are in a bind, we resort to Subway, Which Wich, or Chipotle. I typically have a sweet in the evening. If I eat too little during the day then I crave more treats.

I LOVE sweets! I think you should be allowed dessert after every meal. :) But I know that’s not very healthy so, like you, I usually just have a little something sweet after dinner. If I’m craving sweets and I’ve already had my dessert for the day, I like to mix Greek yogurt, cocoa powder, a little peanut butter and some chia seeds for a chocolate pudding-like treat. Not nearly as bad for you, and it usually satisfies my sweet tooth. Peanut butter on graham crackers is the best! Graham crackers are also great with frosting. :p Chick-Fil-A is super yummy, but we don’t have one where we live. :(
    Good luck on your half marathon on Saturday!!