Bits & Pieces of Ashley: My Morning Routine

You guys really are the best.

Thank you so much for all of your sweet wishes regarding our move. I also really appreciate the respect you’ve given my family. I can’t wait to dive into all the details with you, but it’ll have to wait just a little longer. Eventually, I promise! Thanks for understanding in the meantime. Your encouragement for my race tomorrow meant a lot to me too – thank you! We sure do have a heck of a lot going on this month. It’s CRA to the ZY!

bitsandpieces_thumb.jpg

I get asked quite often what my days are like now that I’m a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom). I never really have just one answer because each of my days vary to some degree.

But, one thing that seems to help each day go better for me is a solid morning routine. It helps me get in the right frame of mind for the day, encourages productivity, and sets the tone for the day.

Capture

Even my morning routines vary a little bit during the week, but they always include the same things. Sometimes each of the things are just done in a different order.

Let’s look at a few examples:

Example #1

• Wake up at 5:15 AM
  • Get dressed for the gym
  • Drink coffee and eat a banana
  • Workout at the gym OR do a run/workout DVD at home
  • Shower
  • Eat breakfast and read my devotions
  • Hunter wakes up – nurse/change/dress him
  • Do my hair and make-up
  • Feed Hunter breakfast
  • Go on with our day…

This scenario is done probably about 1-2 times per week. I enjoy getting my workout done before Hunter wakes up, but it makes for a really sleepy mama come mid-afternoon.

Example #2

• Wake up at 6:30 AM
  • Eat breakfast and read my devotions
  • Drink coffee and read a couple blogs
  • Get dressed and ready for the gym
  • Hunter wakes up – nurse/change/dress him
  • Workout at the gym
  • Feed Hunter breakfast
  • Shower/hair/make-up
  • Go on with our day…

This routine is the one that I do the most often. I feel the best when I start my day with this routine. It’s early enough (I do love early mornings), but not TOO early.

Example #3

• Wake up at 6:30 AM
  • Eat breakfast and read my devotions
  • Drink coffee and read a couple blogs
  • Shower
  • Hunter wakes up – nurse/change/dress him
  • Shower/hair/make-up
  • Feed Hunter breakfast
  • Go on with our day…

This is what my morning typically looks like when I have a rest day and don’t workout. It’s a little more leisurely and isn’t so rushed. We have about one day (during the work week) that our morning is like this.

——————————————————–

As you can see from the examples above, there’s ALWAYS breakfast, devotions, coffee, and a shower involved in my morning routine. (Getting Hunter fed and ready for the day is a given.) These four things are crucial to my morning routine, and they all help me start out my day on the right foot. If one of these is ever missing, I can guarantee you that the day probably won’t be the best for me.

Capture

Being a SAHM is an amazing and challenging job all in one. My job doesn’t require me to be at the office at 8 AM, but it does require a lot of self-discipline if I want to make my days productive and meaningful. I’ve recognized the importance of having a solid morning routine, and I can’t tell you how beneficial it’s been for me.

What does your weekday morning routine look like?

What are “musts” in your morning routine?

What is your current job?

What are your weekend plans?

Comments

my morning routine is my me time! preferably, i would get in a workout first thing, but that doesn’t always necessarily happen haha. most days though! then itz breakfast and blog reading time (favorite!). eventually i decide i need to shower and get ready for work and head on out!

my morning routine is my me time.. and time with GOD. I need it. and i have been neglecting it lately. That’s changing now! thanks for sharing and praying for you this weekend!

Mornings are my favorite part of my day so I make sure to make them “special” even if it’s just a normal day. I try to fit in a workout, then shower, eat breakfast and read a few blogs before my day gets crazy. I’m so impressed you put makeup on everyday! That’s the thing I usually skip ;)

4. Katie says

Wake up, Coffee, Breakfast/Feeding Drake too, then Gym… or if we aren’t going to gym, time to do chores! MUSTS— COFFEE! Drake was up last night from 12-3 AM with a tummy ache…Coffee IV today haha Job— SAHM! Weekend plans…planning a baby shower & enjoying outside!

I am the same way, making my mornings meaningful sets me up for a productive day ahead. I usually like to go to the gym in the morning, but on my days off I sleep in a bit more but take time to pack my lunch and Tim’s, watch a little news and slowly sip my morning coffee.. A must :)

6. Becky says

So true, I never realized how much self discipline was needed! Landon is up at 7:30 each morning and I sleep till then. If I’m up before him it’s to get ready for something we have to be at early – like church on Sundays or Bible Study on Wednesdays. Otherwise, I like mornings to be easy: breakfast with him, get him ready, play, morning nap (where I drink coffee and watch some TV. if it’s a workout day I workout in the garage during nap too). I’ve found a less hectic morning energizes me for the day ahead. ;)

#1 must in my morning is breakfast of course! Once I have a job I’m sure working out will be in there too but I have the ability to be flexible with when I work out this semester, which is nice. Morning is my favorite time of the day aside from right at dusk in the summers. Have a great weekend!

I agree that it does take discipline to make the best of the days and maximize productivity. I always get up, make the bed, brush my teeth, have tea, pray and get Aiden up and ready. We usually find a workout in there and I eat breakfast too.

I think it’s great that you get your workout done in the morning. I’d love to be able to do that, but getting up at 6:45 a.m. is early enough. Getting up any earlier…I just don’t know! So as a result, I do my workouts when I get home from work instead.

Good luck this weekend!!!

I’m pretty sure that the main reason I wake up so early is because I adore my peaceful mornings. They give me some time to just chill before the craziness of the day sets in. I always start with breakfast, blogs, and devotions… and sometimes I’ll throw some yoga in there as well. I work from home, so I totally know what you mean about self-discipline. There are definitely days where I feel lazy and unwilling to do much, but I find that getting out of my pjs and sometimes even getting my butt to a coffee shop help tonnes.

Well, it’s not a full face of make-up every day… Sometimes it’s just tinted moisturizer and some mascara, while other days it’s more involved. It just depends what’s going on.

11. Amanda N says

I’m part time SAHM and part time Marketing Coordinator. I sit at a desk all day at work, sometimes I wish I had a more active job!

My morning routine differs based on the day as well. I have to eat breakfast and get dressed early or it just feels like the day is wasted. I used to be a morning only shower type of person to help wake me up but now that I often run in the evening I find myself showering the night before a lot which is a big time saver.

Routine – Wake, Eat, Get ready/make bed, get packed for the day if working, get little one up, fed, and dressed. Then either start the day at home, run errands, or head to work!

12. alicia y says

I work 3 days a week as a CPA. On my days “off”, I am in full PTO mom mode – volunteering at school, errands, cleaning, tax driver etc. Way more exhausting than sitting in my cubicle, but much more rewarding. On the 4 days I am home, I get up 2 hrs before the kids so I can workout, shower, and have my coffe – this is my “me” time and I am super cranky without it. Once the kids are up, we cuddle on the couch and eat breakfast for about an hour before it’s time to get moving.

13. Ashley says

Your mornings sound lovely and your priorities are inspiring! I can’t wait to be a SAHM one day, and I will definitely use this advice on making a morning routine! Praying for you tomorrow! You are going to do SO well! ENJOY the race; can’t wait to hear about all the details!

I totally need to get into a better morning routine because I totally agree that it sets the tone for the rest of the day. If I HAD a treadmill, I probably would make that part of my routine on ‘workout’ days and every morning would definitely be: make breakfast and have playtime with Nia! Once the nice weather hits (if it ever comes to Canada? haha) it will involved GO OUTSIDE time! haha

Maybe you could pray in the shower? Or on your bus ride to work? Or on a work break? Or while you’re walking to the gym? Just some ideas.

Up at half 6, in the gym for 7, home and showered for 9.15, breakfast, recipe testing and photo taking, emails, blog catch up…then the real work begins usually about 1 pm! I work through the afternoons up until about 6pm. I can be at home, in the shop or out visiting people. Weekends I lie in until 9am..bliss!

I thrive off of routines, sometimes too much! I sometimes find myself unnecessarily tied to my routine and it can stifle spontaneous moments that pop up. BUT, overall, I’m a huge routine fan! As a teacher, I also know how important it is for kids to have a predictable routine and set expectations…they do SO much better than on days when the routine gets out of whack, so I’m sure sweet Hunter loves it too!

I sometimes wish I didn’t have a job where I had to be out the door so early, I’d LOVE to start each day sitting down to breakfast and devotions.

Yes, Hunter does much better when we have days that have a consistent routine. And as much as I do like routines, I’m also open to spontaneity, and I think it’s great for everyone sometimes!

Do you and Hunter do any learning in the AM? My mom was SAH until I was in 6th grade or so (my brother is 5 years younger and sister 8 years younger) and remember her doing lessons in the morning after her work out or in the afternoon to break up the day. It’s my husband’s birthday this weekend! Should be a good one :)

Hunter still takes a morning nap from 10-12 every day. By the time we get home from the gym, and he eats breakfast, it’s nap time. He isn’t even a year yet, so he’s still learning a ton just from his everyday play. Later in the afternoon, I sit down and work with him on various things.

• says

Sorry- that question sounded kind of weird! I meant vocabulary or walking (not sure if he’s started either yet). I know every child develops at their own pace. The other day my husband thought a one year old was 3 years old and I about fell out of my chair, lol. I’m not that bad, but the parents thought it was funny!

Routine is good and what keeps you on track with your goals! Love that you have three options, most people have ONE and then if something goes differently they give up on things!

19. kristina says

what do you devotions consist of? This is something I’ve been really trying to set up as a part of my day.. i have a jesus calling that i like to read…

I tend to switch things up, but lately I’ve been doing Jesus Calling, reading my Bible, and praying. I also really like She Reads Truth!