House Hunting is an Emotional Rollercoaster

Wow – no one ever told me how emotional house hunting could be!

It’s gone something like this for me:

• Get so excited I can hardly stand it about a house that is “just perfect”!
  • Find out that an offer was already accepted on it, and then cry, feel entirely hopeless, and think we will never ever find a house.

Maybe that’s a tad dramatic, but in all seriousness, it’s a rollercoaster of emotions that I never really expected.

When we were searching for homes in Utah several years ago, the market wasn’t nearly as competitive as it currently is here in the Phoenix area. I’m learning quickly not to get too excited about anything until it’s official.

Fingers crossed something works out soon!

Needless to say, we spent a good majority of our weekend house hunting. Because the area we plan on living is a good 40-45 minute drive from where we’re currently staying, there was a decent amount of driving which also meant lots of quick and easy meals. Just a few…

Starbucks Turkey Bacon & Egg English Muffin

It doesn’t look like much in the photo, but this thing was pretty darn good!

Albertson’s Take ‘n Bake PIzza (with salad)

Hunter also loved the pizza (if you couldn’t tell).

Blue Bunny Single Serve Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream

Isn’t this thing so darn cute?! It’s kind of hard to tell in the photo, but it’s the same shape and design of a regular half gallon of Blue Bunny ice cream except miniature sized. We stayed at my brother-in-law and sister-in-law’s house to dog sit for them one night, so we got these single serve ice creams to enjoy for a little treat!

Chipotle and Subway happened in there somewhere too. As much as I like going out to eat on occasion, it’s been a little out of control the last couple weeks. Reason 1,847,342 I can’t wait to have our own house.

We did have an absolutely delicious home cooked dinner on Sunday evening thanks to my dad and stepmom – grilled steak, roasted potatoes, broccoli/asparagus/shallot mix, and salad. The meal was divine!

Capture

And red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting made by *yours truly*. Smile

Capture

I suppose that meal and dessert made up for the multiple times we ate out over the weekend. It was pretty fantastic.

No workouts happened this weekend, and I’m totally okay with that. I’ve been enjoying some quick and efficient at-home workouts, but to be honest, my workouts have been pushed to the side a little lately. Life happens, you know? I’m confident I’ll get back in my regular groove again, but until then, one thing at a time.

Moving is crazy. End of story.

P.S. Make today a great one!

If you’ve ever bought a house, was it an emotional experience for you?

Did you go out to eat or get take out this weekend?

Choose your favorite cupcake: red velvet, vanilla, or lemon. (<—You can only choose from those three!)

What do your workouts look like lately?

Comments

Ugh, I totally remember how emotionally stressful the house hunting/selling process can be! I remember when we built a house, how AWFUL that was too. It is all worth it in the end though. You’ll find the perfect one!

It must be really stressful! I hope you find something you love quickly! And youre right there is plenty of time for home cooking amd workouts.

OH my gosh I completely understand the house hunting! We bought our house last year and it was months of times like that. The market is pretty competitive in Pgh, too. I wish you all the best! Favorite cupcake would be vanilla. I know, plain, but it’s too good! lol I didn’t go out to eat this weekend, but I would like to in the near future! :)

Ugh – I’m so sorry about the house hunting! I would say focus on being thankful that your house in Utah sold so quickly. Think about how awfully stressed you would be if you were worrying about selling AND finding a house. The right one will come along :) As for cupcakes – VANILLA!

Very true! Although we’ve been having some issues with the whole selling process which just adds to the stress. But after a few hiccups, it’s all going smoothly now. Whew! Thanks for the encouragement. :)

That was definitely me last year when looking for a house too! We went to go look at one, which of course I fell in love with, and later that same day it was gone! But God was looking out for us and found us the perfect home a week later :-) Good luck to you!

We went ‘out’ to eat at Costco :) on Friday night then got all of our grocery shopping done for the week…cheap and good…I like the Chicken Caesar Salad and the hubby gets the hot dog! Not fancy but a fun date night that gets some things off of my to do list. Prayers for the perfect house at the perfect price to find you!

7. michelle says

House hunting can be pure torture. When we were looking the biggest problem we had was the pictures looked great online but not so nice when we actually got to look at the house in person. We were also looking about 45 minutes from our old location and that made for a lot of wasted weekends. Plus our house sold fast so we had the pressure of needing a place for us, 3 kids, 1cat and 2 dogs to live there was no option of staying with family. Hang in there it all works out in the end.

Yessss, I can relate to all of this (except we have the option with the staying with family, which is a blessing!). Glad it all worked out in the end for you!

Oh you poor thing!!! Really hope you find the perfect house soon….the reason the other ones had offers is because the truly right one is just around the corner!!! I’d go lemon cupcake! No eating or take out this weekend..was off work sick yesterday but back with a bang this morning with HIIT training and the NTC app Dynamic Kettlebells (Under Get Strong Adv.) workout! Also trying sardines for the first time in 10 years…love em!

YES! House hunting was the most stressful time in our marriage so far. I cried way too much. It can be so overwhelming! It took us about four months to find something, so just be patient — it feels so good to get the keys at the end of everything!

• says

After I wrote that, I realized that four months might’ve sounded discouraging…and it was a long time! But, our apartment lease wasn’t up until the end of June (we bought our house in May), and we were probably more picky than we would’ve been had we been living somewhere temporarily. You will find something soon!!

Ahh house hunting can definitely be stressful, but when the perfect place for you and your family becomes available, it will just happen! Hang in there, we actually placed in offer on ours and it was accepted within 24 hours. It was actually much faster than we anticipated, but we just sort of went with it and it all worked out! Luckily 3 1/2 years later and we still love our home. :)

11. amelia says

I know how you feel. My husband and I purchased the house we currently live in, while living across the country before moving. Plus it was a short sale with a whole lotta drama…..your head would spin! It was all worth it in the end. :)
    Our weekend was spent out of town with family so TONS of eating out, a basket or two more of tortilla chips than I needed, ice cream every day, nil veggies (lettuce on tacos??) and no working out. Relaxing weekend, but ready for normal routine again. Ya def gotta live every once in a while :)

Oh house-hunting, how I don’t miss that. HGTV makes it look so fun and easy, so I started out super-excited to look for our ‘perfect home’. That enthusiasm waned after the first few weeks, especially after falling in love with a house only to realize at our 2nd looks how much structural damage there was. We looked at over 50 houses, actually went and walked through them, not just perused online. In the end, everything worked out and we’re where we were meant to be. As hard as it is, try to keep that in mind as you continue hunting :)

Love vanilla cupcakes for sure!! We still rent right now, but I need to know what our next step is and we better make it fast because, like I said, I can’t take this anymore. I escaped to my grandparents’ on Saturday night and was so relieved/happy, but since returning home, I’m back to a sad/void state. I hope a perfect house comes through for you soon!

I want to know what’s going on! Email me if you ever need to vent or need some encouragement. Huge hugs!

I read today that we should focus on the good vs what didn’t happen or didn’t work out as we thought. Everything will come together in due time…it is just hard to wait and be at peace with knowing so.
    The second house we looked at was the one we knew was ours. And as exciting as that sounds, it was also very stressful wondering if we were jumping in too fast. In the end, we knew it was the one and trusted our guts. Wishing you guys all the best!

I remember feeling the same way about house hunting, but I promise when it’s meant to be, things just fall seamlessly into place. The obstacles are minimal and you’ll love the house.

I get stressed with apartment hunting, so I can only imagine how much more difficult it is to find a house that you want to own – you guys will find something great though!
    red velvet ;-) I’m not a fan of white or vanilla cake/cupcakes!

Oh goodness I remember riding that roller coaster. I bought my place almost 3 years ago, and not only did it take me forever to find it (I must have looked at 30+ places), but going through the entire process of getting my offer accepted made me an emotional wreck. Totally worth ti in the end though :D Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

18. Amanda N says

Yup, house hunting is one of the most fun AND stressful things ever! We looked for a while and finally found a house we liked enough to make an offer, then we were told someone else made an offer at the same time and to make our final offer. We deliberated so much and ended up increasing our offer at the last minute as we really wanted the house. Luckily we got it but I think we could have gotten it for less if there wasn’t another offer.

I love looking through a house and thinking about all its potential as sometimes you have to look past ugly carpet or wall paper!

Good luck – I’m sure you guys will find the perfect house soon :)

When I sold my house in Tucson last year, I had 5 offers in one day. It was so stressful. I bought a new construction home in Phoenix so thankfully I didn’t have to deal with the roller coaster on the buying end. The market is competitive here. I had one girl write me a letter with her offer about how she had to have my house. Thing is so many houses on the market are in terrible shape so the good ones go really fast. Crossing my fingers for you get something soon!

Oh how I can relate to all of this… hubby, Ethan (first/only newborn son!!) and I are in the process of finally closing on a house! Its a new construction so we have meetings to attend to make sure the progress is going well, and we should be able to move in sometime in August. Unfortunately, even when you officially get the house, the emotions just don’t stop… my main concern is MOVING… with a newborn. Love, love, LOVE the house we chose but am now wondering how we will get all his and our furniture into the bedrooms since they’re on the 3rd level… eek! :-p

And yes, Hubby and I ate out this wknd – it was his bday though, so it was a special and rare occasion. :-) Also, YES, to red velvet cupcakes! I actually bought some for hubby’s bday as well. Happy Hunting – it will all be worth it in the end!!

Happy Monday!

I want to tell you that I know EXACTLY how you feel, and emotional roller coaster are the perfect words to describe it.

When we were house hunting, we were full speed on that roller coaster with the high hills and then the huge drops, kind of like life ;)

Hoping you guys find something that you love and get soon. You will, I promise :)

Yes! House hunting was so emotional for me. We had our offer accepted on a house that I absolutely fell in love with only to have the sellers back out one week before we were due to close. I was heartbroken! The good news is that it all worked out in the end, and I’m sure it will for you too!

I have never bought a house, but I wish you the best of luck! Just keep telling yourself that it will all be worth it :) I have never had a red velvet or a lemon cupcake ha. I need to get out more! I do love vanilla though. Lately I have been doing a lot of running for my workouts, and I love it!!!! Running is the best :)

House hunting is no joke! We kind of “fell” into our current house that we bought in November. It was the first and only house we looked at and everything fell into place. My best friend is house hunting now and it’s such a headache, but just like finding the perfect guy…it’ll be worth the wait!

house hunting can be the pits! it is fun, but it is also frustrating. we found our current one pretty quickly, but now that we want a second one we are being more picky.. and so it’s frustrating! good luck to you!

I have bought two houses, both we were under tight timelines and luckily everything came together easily, but we are building in the next year which will be another story I am sure!
    I went out for drinks and appys (and dessert) Saturday night with high school friends! So fun :)
    I have to say vanilla!

Aww, honey. I’m so sorry that you’re going through this. The right house will come along at the right time. I had a lot of dashed hopes and what seemed like unanswered prayers. Then we decided to build and it was the best decision ever, totally meant to be!

As far as workouts, I love that you’re cutting yourself some slack. I’ve been doing that lately too but am trying to get back at it this week. Just started Jillian Michael’s Ripped in 30. :)

28. Katie says

I feel like you read my entire mind with this post. I hope you guys find something very very soon. The house we bought had a LOT more work than expected therefore it’s been an emotional roller coaster here too. I just want to be moved & settled as well… The “quick meals” are going strong here too… I’m so ready to cook meals again! This weekend was pretty much take out central haha Red Velvet for sure.. MmM Workouts have either been short runs or group fitness so I don’t have to use my brain ;) I just have to do what I’m told!

29. Cassie says

My husband and I bough our first home in the Bay Area last June. We only had 5% down and were up against all cash offers! After 8 offers(!!!!!) I got smart. This one place we loved had a nursery setup (my husband and I were looking to start a family shortly after we moved). After talking to the owners agent I was able to get some info, the family was moving because of a job relocation (the husband was a teacher). I have my masters in special education, so that was at least 2 things we had in common. We decided to write a letter to the owners letting them know how much we loved their home and how we would love to make it our home to grow a family in. We also discussed our careers and a few other things. We included a family photo as well. Guess what, today we live in that house!! I can gurantee we didn’t have the offer with the most down but I feel that family wanted us here to grow a family like they did. =) good luck with your search!

That does sound stressful! I am so sorry the ‘one’ didn’t work out–but an even BETTER one will work out! :)

Hugs!

I would love lemon cupcakes, we haven’t eaten out since last week–Cafe Rio (YUMM). And I’m having a great day so far ;)

We literally had a few days to find our home for the next 3 years (a year and a half to go) here in Texas. At least you have the benefit of having a free place to stay while you guys search! We also chose to rent a home though (who wants to buy a home in El Paso no offense, lol). This probably sounds so weird- but do the houses have swamp coolers where you’re looking? I’m from NW Indiana, and we do regular AC in our homes there. So many of the homes in west Texas have swamp coolers to chill their homes in the hot months…we rented a house with a normal AC unit though. Wondering if that’s a prominent feature in Phoenix since you guys have the same weather as us!

We do have the blessing of living with my in-laws, but it’s not always rainbows and butterflies. Especially for my husband who has to make an hour commute each way to work everyday. Yes, A/C units are a regular thing here. Some older homes have swamp coolers, but pretty much every home I’ve lived in or have looked at has A/C units. Not sure why that is though!

Buying a house is soooo emotional!!! Maybe you were kidding about crying, but I cried a million times during the process. It would be SO GREAT and then SO STRESSFUL and SO HOPELESS.

I assure you, you will find a house :) I’m sending prayers your way, friend!

House hunting is definitely a stressful experience. I’m definitely the first one to get excited, and my husband constantly reminded me not to get my hopes up. I definitely feel for you! I picked up Zoe’s Kitchen this weekend – it’s my favorite, and so delicious! I pick Red Velvet from those 3 choices, but really, chocolate is my fave!

I did Jillian Michael’s No More Trouble Zones this weekend and definitely underestimated the difficulty. It was surprisingly challenging!

Buying a house is so emotional. You can never understand it till you go through it. I had my heart broke twice before we found our house. Then it happened so quickly that I didn’t have time to think about it. That was 8 years ago and I’ve never regret it!

Oh I so feel for you on the house hunting frustrations! It took us quite awhile to find our house but hopefully it doesn’t take as long for you guys. One thing I always kept in mind is that if it doesn’t work out it wasn’t meant to be and something else will come along. Out of all the houses we saw before ours some that I thought I LOVED, non compared to the one we finally bought. Something perfect will come along for you soon!

Oh my goodness–house hunting was a true nightmare for us! We had found the most adorable, charmed-filled house and the deal fell through at the last minute! We were left scrambling to find somewhere to live because we needed to move out of our apartment. (Of course, we always could have lived with our parents, but we were keeping that as a last resort.) Everything ended up working out for us–miraculously!–but I definitely understand how emotionally trying it can be!

37. Beth says

what areas around Phoenix are you considering? You will find the right one when the time is right. Don’t rush….wait for the right one and it will happen for you!! How do you like AZ compared to Utah?

We are looking more on the southeast side of town – Chandler/Tempe/Gilbert areas. Thanks for the encouragement! Utah and Arizona both have their pros and cons. I grew up in AZ, so I know it really well. I do miss the beautiful mountains in Utah though!

• Beth says

my friend lived in both Gilbert and Chandler!! I think my first choice would be Scottsdale, but I have head that that area is more expensive. Arizona has mountains, NO? SLC and Phoenix are so different! I love mountains but SLC still gets bad winters, but AZ is so brown and not as lush. Good points and bad points to both places. Home is where your family is for you, though! :) I think I would love to live near the Blue Ridge Mountains…might be a little warmer than Utah???